Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Your favorite small school WR prospect « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#15 : March 25, 2010, 01:29:02 PM

Terrell Hudgins  Elon  6-foot-2 229-pounds 4.56 forty
2006 69 rec 1,027 yards 8 TD
2007 117 rec 1,474 yards 18 TD
2008 86 rec 1,116 yards 10 TD
2009 123 rec 1,633 yards 16 TD
Total 395 rec 5,250 yards 52 TD

Any receiver who can average 99 receptions 1,312 yards and 13 touchdowns a season over four years of college football has got to be a sleeper and worth taking a gamble on in the fifth through seventh round.

Impressive production, if anything...his stats at least point to him having good hands, we could use that.

Yeah, that's why I looked him up on youtube... I wish I didn't.  LOL.  The kid has great hands... I doubt he'll ever be able to get open in the NFL.  Go look at some of those videos, there's always at least 1 defender on him on EVERY PLAY.  He gets absolutely no separation at all against lowest echelon talent.  You think he has a chance to get open in the NFL?  If he makes a practice squad, I'll call that an accomplishment.

littlericky

Starter
#16 : March 25, 2010, 03:38:02 PM

I want S. Williams from toledo. To me he compares to A.J. Green. I think he culd have an impact on the Bucs as a rookie, dont forget he broke the reception record for Toledo this last year. He's tall and can high point the ball very well. In an interview he had with the Pats he told them he was a mixture of Randy Moss and Larry Fitzgerald. Dont know if I agree with that but the kid has confiednce.

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#17 : March 25, 2010, 03:59:05 PM

Larry Brackins

Calvin Johnson

Hall of Famer

#18 : March 25, 2010, 04:06:55 PM

Terrell Hudgins

X Factor

Starter
#19 : March 25, 2010, 07:54:27 PM

Marcus Easley - Connecticut, 6'3 4.46/40 - projected 6-7th round... Former walk on that led the Huskies last year in recieving, Good size and decent speed with a great work ethic...

Other small school guy that I've seen moving up the projections is David Gettis from Baylor. Don't know a lot about him but he had nice combine/pro day numbers. 6'4 4.39/40. He didn't put up huge numbers in college (2009 - 52 REC 675 YRDs 3 TDs) but he is a 6th round projected guy so not much of a risk but some upside especially in the 6th round or if he slips into the 7th.

Mike Williams by Xfactor32, on Flickr

Larry Brackins

Starter
#20 : March 26, 2010, 04:44:08 AM

I knew about Price but am of the opinion he's a likely 3rd or 4th rounder.

I haven't heard much about him. He may be a 3rd/4th with his high 40 time.
There's no way Price is going that late. He'll be the first MAC WR off the board ahead of Barnes, Brown, and Williams. 3rd/4th sounds right.

Antonio Brown would by my choice. Poor man's Percy Harvin.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#21 : March 26, 2010, 07:16:32 AM

Heck no! Brown does not have Harvin's elite straight line speed.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#22 : March 26, 2010, 09:25:51 AM

Marcus Easley - Connecticut, 6'3 4.46/40 - projected 6-7th round... Former walk on that led the Huskies last year in recieving, Good size and decent speed with a great work ethic...

Other small school guy that I've seen moving up the projections is David Gettis from Baylor. Don't know a lot about him but he had nice combine/pro day numbers. 6'4 4.39/40. He didn't put up huge numbers in college (2009 - 52 REC 675 YRDs 3 TDs) but he is a 6th round projected guy so not much of a risk but some upside especially in the 6th round or if he slips into the 7th.

Since when is a Big East school and a Big 12 school a "small school"?

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#23 : September 01, 2010, 01:08:59 PM

Quote from: Bob McManaman
Cardinals undrafted receiver Stephen Williams could turn into a steal

How bad did NFL scouts miss the boat on rookie wide receiver Stephen Williams?

So bad that, according to former Cardinals linebacker/defensive end Bertrand Berry, every NFL team should have to forfeit a draft pick next year because of their stupidity.

"It's insane. It's an absolute crime," Berry said this week during a radio interview on KDUS-AM (1060).

Williams started 40 games for the University of Toledo and left as the school's all-time leader in receptions (229) and receiving yards (3,102). But he went untouched in this year's NFL draft.

The Cardinals had him rated as a potential third-round pick, but they didn't draft him, either. Instead, they were the one team that reached out and offered him a free-agent contract with a chance to make the team.

And it appears he has done that.

The 6-foot-5 Williams has been the biggest feel-good story of training camp and the preseason for the Cardinals. He has caught nearly every ball thrown his way, made some amazing plays in traffic and likely cemented himself on the 53-man roster with his performance Saturday against the Chicago Bears.

In that game, playing in a starting role because of injuries to Larry Fitzgerald and Early Doucet, he caught five passes for 79 yards and turned an underneath slant into a 27-yard touchdown.

"It was a good game," Williams said. "I wanted more progress and to show more of my skills and get more trust with the first-team offense, so it was a very good feeling.

"Every week it seems like my confidence gets higher and higher. I'm trying to put myself in front of my teammates and my coaches and let them know I can play in this league."

Mission accomplished, according to Fitzgerald, who said Williams eventually might replace him as the Cardinals' No. 1 wideout.

"That's a good thing to hear coming from a guy like that," Williams said. "I'm learning from him every day, how to pick his brain and run routes like him and the different techniques he uses to get open.

"Hey, I'm learning from the best, so hopefully that can make me the best, too. When you leave a legacy, you want the guy behind you to be better than you, and I think that's what Larry's trying to teach me."

Quarterback Derek Anderson said he never has seen a rookie free-agent receiver with the skill set of Williams - and Anderson played with a do-everything, undrafted receiver in Josh Cribbs of the Cleveland Browns.

"Josh was one of those guys," Anderson said. "He's not a great receiver, but he's a great athlete and probably one of the best football players I've ever been around."

Cardinals free safety Kerry Rhodes said: "I have no idea how this kid didn't get drafted, but he's a beast. Whether he's going up against the third team, the second team or the first team, he's a beast."

Williams isn't sure why he didn't get drafted, either, but said it might have been a blessing now that it appears he has found a home in Arizona.

"Everything happens for a reason," he said. "I'm at a loss as to why it went the way it did, but I know I had a clean slate and I didn't do anything wrong. I guess I just had to prove myself to the right people."

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2010/08/31/20100831arizona-cardinals-stephen-williams.html#ixzz0yIYr4fl2

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

NavyBuc19

Hall of Famer
#24 : September 01, 2010, 03:12:50 PM

We have our steals in Brian Price, Mike Williams, Cody Grimm, Dekoda Watson, Preston Parker, etc. I think we are good.

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#25 : September 01, 2010, 03:36:10 PM

We have our steals in Brian Price, Mike Williams, Cody Grimm, Dekoda Watson, Preston Parker, etc. I think we are good.

Since you mentioned Watson, I was extremely surprised at how well he played in the Jags game. He is better against the run than I thought and his size/speed is really noticable on the field. I dunno if you remember but I thought a team could go for him as early as the late 2nd and definitely sometime in the 4th at the latest, but I'm happy he fell to us where he did. He looks farther along than Quincy did at the same point in his career.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#26 : September 01, 2010, 03:37:30 PM

I'm just tooting my own horn. I'm fine with who the Bucs got.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#27 : September 01, 2010, 04:09:30 PM

So I'm looking around the draft sites trying to figure out who the next Pierre Garcon/Miles Austin type player is. Most of the candidates are basically bodies. They've got good measurables but not a lot of production. Few ever had more than 700 yards receiving in a season. Garcon had over 4000 yards receiving in his career at Mount Union and Austin had over 1800 yards his final two seasons at Monmouth so both of them produced.

Which brings me to Stephen Williams from Toledo.

6' 4 1/2"
210 lbs
4.53 40
2007: 73 rec., 1169 yards, 7 TD
2008: 71 rec., 781 yards, 8 TD
2009: 79 rec., 1065 yards, 5 TD

Good call.  He's been tearing it up.

NavyBuc19

Hall of Famer
#28 : September 01, 2010, 04:23:52 PM

I'm just tooting my own horn. I'm fine with who the Bucs got.
I give props to you. Its a shame that we couldn't have gotten him. But I think Preston Parker is a good steal in his own right. I just hope my "favorite prospect" in Dekoda Watson pulls out doing good.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#29 : September 01, 2010, 01:08:59 PM

Quote from: Bob McManaman
Cardinals undrafted receiver Stephen Williams could turn into a steal

How bad did NFL scouts miss the boat on rookie wide receiver Stephen Williams?

So bad that, according to former Cardinals linebacker/defensive end Bertrand Berry, every NFL team should have to forfeit a draft pick next year because of their stupidity.

"It's insane. It's an absolute crime," Berry said this week during a radio interview on KDUS-AM (1060).

Williams started 40 games for the University of Toledo and left as the school's all-time leader in receptions (229) and receiving yards (3,102). But he went untouched in this year's NFL draft.

The Cardinals had him rated as a potential third-round pick, but they didn't draft him, either. Instead, they were the one team that reached out and offered him a free-agent contract with a chance to make the team.

And it appears he has done that.

The 6-foot-5 Williams has been the biggest feel-good story of training camp and the preseason for the Cardinals. He has caught nearly every ball thrown his way, made some amazing plays in traffic and likely cemented himself on the 53-man roster with his performance Saturday against the Chicago Bears.

In that game, playing in a starting role because of injuries to Larry Fitzgerald and Early Doucet, he caught five passes for 79 yards and turned an underneath slant into a 27-yard touchdown.

"It was a good game," Williams said. "I wanted more progress and to show more of my skills and get more trust with the first-team offense, so it was a very good feeling.

"Every week it seems like my confidence gets higher and higher. I'm trying to put myself in front of my teammates and my coaches and let them know I can play in this league."

Mission accomplished, according to Fitzgerald, who said Williams eventually might replace him as the Cardinals' No. 1 wideout.

"That's a good thing to hear coming from a guy like that," Williams said. "I'm learning from him every day, how to pick his brain and run routes like him and the different techniques he uses to get open.

"Hey, I'm learning from the best, so hopefully that can make me the best, too. When you leave a legacy, you want the guy behind you to be better than you, and I think that's what Larry's trying to teach me."

Quarterback Derek Anderson said he never has seen a rookie free-agent receiver with the skill set of Williams - and Anderson played with a do-everything, undrafted receiver in Josh Cribbs of the Cleveland Browns.

"Josh was one of those guys," Anderson said. "He's not a great receiver, but he's a great athlete and probably one of the best football players I've ever been around."

Cardinals free safety Kerry Rhodes said: "I have no idea how this kid didn't get drafted, but he's a beast. Whether he's going up against the third team, the second team or the first team, he's a beast."

Williams isn't sure why he didn't get drafted, either, but said it might have been a blessing now that it appears he has found a home in Arizona.

"Everything happens for a reason," he said. "I'm at a loss as to why it went the way it did, but I know I had a clean slate and I didn't do anything wrong. I guess I just had to prove myself to the right people."

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2010/08/31/20100831arizona-cardinals-stephen-williams.html#ixzz0yIYr4fl2

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Your favorite small school WR prospect « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools