Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Teen girl attempting solo sail around the world « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Obamessiah

Pro Bowler

#15 : June 10, 2010, 08:11:39 PM

Well, damn. And I was just getting ready to send her a pic of my junk.

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#16 : June 10, 2010, 08:30:36 PM

Here comes the "I told you so" brigade.

Obamessiah

Pro Bowler

#17 : June 10, 2010, 08:39:54 PM

Lost at sea.

Thats exactly why a parent shouldn't be letting their CHILD sail around the world (especially alone).

Her parents should have to suffer a lifetime of guilt for their horrible judgment call.

If they DON'T feel any guilt or responsibility for this tragedy... then they have no souls.

Idiots... thats what they are. I just can't believe some people.

If I had a 16 yr old daughter who came to me and asked me for my consent to sail around the world alone, I'd LOL in her face and tell her to wait 2 more years. If she wants to put her life at risk once she becomes an adult, its her choice... until then, the choice is MINE... and the answer is NO. Besides, 2 more years of sailing practice/experience would make me more comfortable about her journey.

Is it even remotely possible that perhaps they knew their child better than you?

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#18 : June 10, 2010, 09:07:28 PM

lmao

Incognito

Hall of Famer

#19 : June 10, 2010, 10:50:49 PM

Is it even remotely possible that perhaps they knew their child better than you?

Point being?

Thats not even relevant.

It doesn't matter how responsible she is. It doesn't matter how skilled she is. It doesn't matter how smart, careful, independent or mature she is. She's 16 (a child). Period.

She's under her parents' care. They are her guardians. If they permit her to do something thats clearly dangerous... and she gets killed, they are to blame.

If they would've said NO, she'd be alive. She may have stomped up to her room and bit her pillow, but at least she'd be safe.

If she turns 18 and decides to sail around the world, theres nothing they can do to stop her... and it wouldn't be their fault if she dies a terrible death.

NOW she's not gonna see 18. The last thing she'll ever know is how it feels to drown.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#20 : June 11, 2010, 12:06:52 AM

Point being?

Thats not even relevant.

It doesn't matter how responsible she is. It doesn't matter how skilled she is. It doesn't matter how smart, careful, independent or mature she is. She's 16 (a child). Period.

She's under her parents' care. They are her guardians. If they permit her to do something thats clearly dangerous... and she gets killed, they are to blame.

If they would've said NO, she'd be alive. She may have stomped up to her room and bit her pillow, but at least she'd be safe.

If she turns 18 and decides to sail around the world, theres nothing they can do to stop her... and it wouldn't be their fault if she dies a terrible death.

NOW she's not gonna see 18. The last thing she'll ever know is how it feels to drown.

Couldnt the same be said for a parent that lets their son play high school football and take violent hits, or let their daughter do gymnastics where they could break their necks and be paralyzed for life? Are parents to blame in those situations too?

Incognito

Hall of Famer

#21 : June 11, 2010, 12:44:52 AM

Point being?

Thats not even relevant.

Couldnt the same be said for a parent that lets their son play high school football and take violent hits, or let their daughter do gymnastics where they could break their necks and be paralyzed for life? Are parents to blame in those situations too?

You can't compare those activities with sailing around the world. How many kids get killed while participating in sports? Its quite uncommon. So no, the parents aren't to blame if the unthinkable happens. They are taking a tiny risk... and to me, low risk activities are acceptable.

The ocean is a very unforgiving place. Its extremely dangerous (in many different ways) to be out on the open ocean (especially alone).

The deadliest job in the world is crab fishing. Know what makes it so deadly? The ocean.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#22 : June 11, 2010, 01:27:51 AM

LOL   ;D

Stratobuc

Starter
#23 : June 11, 2010, 04:06:14 AM

Just read she was found alive - rescue boat 30 hrs away - detained by 40 foot swells.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#24 : June 11, 2010, 06:03:38 AM

Yep. The mast is gone and the boat is adrift. But it is still afloat and she still has plenty of food and water.

But she is in probably the most remote spot on this planet. Hopefully the weather doesnt deteriorate further.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#25 : June 11, 2010, 07:21:40 AM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100611/ap_on_sp_ot/lost_sailor_found

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#26 : June 11, 2010, 08:04:47 AM

Good news finally. 

I have wondered about such ventures - the point of it all - I truly don't understand young folks on multi million dollar boats risking there lives in such a manner.  Guess is it my shortcoming.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

bucsense

Practice Squad

#27 : June 11, 2010, 08:53:39 AM

Yeah, glad she's o.k., but to me it's just grandstanding and has no merit in my world.

Tell me, if rescue teams are sent out, repairs are made, how does that qualify as being solo?

#28 : June 11, 2010, 10:23:20 AM

It is grandstanding to get attention and bragging rights for being the youngest.  Wait until you are older if you just want to prove something to yourself. At that age the world feels the need to scramble to save you. Foolishness.

Obamessiah

Pro Bowler

#29 : June 11, 2010, 02:07:56 PM

Her parents should have to suffer a lifetime of guilt for their horrible judgment call.

You seeing this as a little harsh yet? Like I said, they know their child a lot better than we do. What I can tell about her is that she is strong-willed, independent, and courageous. If she were my daughter, I would be very proud of her.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Teen girl attempting solo sail around the world « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools