Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Teen girl attempting solo sail around the world « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#60 : June 14, 2010, 07:44:19 PM

From her blog...

----
Hey everyone,

Sorry I haven't written in so long as you probably already know I had a pretty rough couple of days. I can't write much now as I am typing on a french key pad as well as trying to stay seated in a bouncy fishing boat.

The long and the short of it is, well, one long wave, and one short mast (short meaning two inch stub.) I'll write a more detailed blog later, just wanted to let every one know I am safe and sound on a great big fishing boat headed I am not exactly sure where.

Crazy is the word that really describes everything that has happened best.

Within a few minutes of being on board the fishing boat, I was already getting calls from the press. I don't know how they got the number but it seems everybody is eager to pounce on my story now that something bad has happened.

There are plenty of things people can think of to blame for my situation; my age, the time of year and many more. The truth is, I was in a storm and you don't sail through the Indian Ocean without getting in at least one storm. It wasn't the time of year it was just a Southern Ocean storm. Storms are part of the deal when you set out to sail around the world.

As for age, since when does age create gigantic waves and storms?

I keep hitting the wrong keys and am still trying to get over the fact that I will never see my Wild Eyes again. So Ill write more later.

Abby

kbl11

Starter

#61 : June 17, 2010, 01:06:28 AM

I guess she should have gone the safer route and gone to the prom, get hammered, and get pregnant like every other teenager.

In no way has anything you said in this thread made any sense in relation to whats going on here

kbl11

Starter

#62 : June 17, 2010, 01:11:48 AM

no one said she didn't know what she was doing but as a minor her parents are responsible for her and it probably wasn't the smartest thing for them to allow.
^^Yep.

Being "qualified" doesn't mean she's not in great danger out there.

So she shouldn't be allowed to drive a car since there is "great danger out there"

right because thats a reasonable comparison

if a 16 year old is trained and prepared to wrestle alligators, should parents let their kid do that also?

yea lets compare allowing kids to play football, ride horses, drive vehicles, and touch dirty pay phones to sailing the world by themself

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#63 : February 08, 2011, 10:57:03 PM

(Abby's brother Zac, who completed his voyage at 17, briefly held the distinction as being the youngest sailor to solo-circumnavigate the planet but he made several stops.)

Strange that I hadn't noticed this the first time around. Does this change your impression of this family's parenting ability?
http://www.zacsunderland.com/
: February 08, 2011, 10:58:45 PM Illuminator

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

SepeBucs

Hall of Famer

#64 : February 08, 2011, 11:01:19 PM

(Abby's brother Zac, who completed his voyage at 17, briefly held the distinction as being the youngest sailor to solo-circumnavigate the planet but he made several stops.)

Strange that I hadn't noticed this the first time around. Does this change your impression of this family's parenting ability?

I assume your talking to me, but you didn't address it properly to be sure. Also, not sure what the question is? Are you asking about how the kid was taught to be self sufficient and how to handle difficulties on his own without crying for government handouts or are you asking if allowing a 17 year old to take daddies sail boat around the world is a bad thing?

Which response do we get this time? Butthurt? Needs medical treatment? Or the all time favorite, \"Drama Queen\"

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#65 : February 08, 2011, 11:07:26 PM

Not specifically addressed to you, just a general question. Many people seemed to think that these parents were negligent for letting their sixteen year old girl make this attempt, and I was wondering if the fact that they already had a child successfully complete the voyage had changed their opinion on the subject. Oh, and it wasn't "Daddy's sailboat," he purchased it with his own funds.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

SepeBucs

Hall of Famer

#66 : February 08, 2011, 11:28:00 PM

Not specifically addressed to you, just a general question. Many people seemed to think that these parents were negligent for letting their sixteen year old girl make this attempt, and I was wondering if the fact that they already had a child successfully complete the voyage had changed their opinion on the subject. Oh, and it wasn't "Daddy's sailboat," he purchased it with his own funds.

He bought it himself, wow, just shows more maturity for the kid I guess. But you appear so frustrated with someone who has actually complimented you and agrees with you in certain spots. Relax, everything will be OK.

To answer your question, is it criminal? Thats for the courts to decide. Is it irresponsible for the parents to let them? Well, you need to know more about the kid I guess. I can't see myself ever agreeing to it. And I guess the penalty to the parents if they were wrong was the loss of the child. Harsh yes, but also realistic. But since the parents did ensure she had the proper training, had the proper safety equipment and had the proper what ever other stuff she would need, then no they were not irresponsible. (If they failed to do that they are, I'm not gonna go read this whole thread to find out). Maybe not wise, but not irresponsible IMHO.

Which response do we get this time? Butthurt? Needs medical treatment? Or the all time favorite, \"Drama Queen\"

Mean D

Pro Bowler

#67 : February 09, 2011, 12:16:11 AM

He bought it himself, wow, just shows more maturity for the kid I guess. But you appear so frustrated with someone who has actually complimented you and agrees with you in certain spots. Relax, everything will be OK.

To answer your question, is it criminal? Thats for the courts to decide. Is it irresponsible for the parents to let them? Well, you need to know more about the kid I guess. I can't see myself ever agreeing to it. And I guess the penalty to the parents if they were wrong was the loss of the child. Harsh yes, but also realistic. But since the parents did ensure she had the proper training, had the proper safety equipment and had the proper what ever other stuff she would need, then no they were not irresponsible. (If they failed to do that they are, I'm not gonna go read this whole thread to find out). Maybe not wise, but not irresponsible IMHO.

The only thing more sickening than Illuminator's posts is watching SepticTankBuc KISS HIS RUMP!

SepeBucs

Hall of Famer

#68 : February 09, 2011, 12:18:48 AM

The only thing more sickening than Illuminator's posts is watching SepticTankBuc KISS HIS RUMP!

LOL, internet bullies, your just so cute! Again, pathetic, but cute.

Mean D

Pro Bowler

#69 : February 09, 2011, 12:22:49 AM

There is no such thing as an internet bully, unless perhaps you are truly a weak, scared loser.  I will never do any physical harm to you.  But I do think you are a butt kissing coward.

SepeBucs

Hall of Famer

#70 : February 09, 2011, 12:49:31 AM

There is no such thing as an internet bully, unless perhaps you are truly a weak, scared loser.  I will never do any physical harm to you.  But I do think you are a butt kissing coward.

The last person who called me a coward was properly **CENSORED** slapped. But at least he was a man about it, you are just a little kid trying to rile people up thus your insults have no meaning or effect on us. You are just a joke and we get a good laugh out of you. But thank you for playing. BTW, yes, if I did meet you in person I would not slap you, your mother for having you maybe but not you.

Page: 1 ... 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Teen girl attempting solo sail around the world « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools