Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why is the NFL draft so compelling? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Riddick

Second String

: March 29, 2010, 07:58:11 PM

We are all MASSIVE fans of the game. That's a given. I just don't see anywhere a quarter of the interest in the NHL, MLB or NBA drafts. It seems like this thing has taken on a life all its own and become an extravaganza like the playoffs.

I don't see fans of the other sports foaming at the mouth like we do. Just a thought.

ilovebeer

Starter

#1 : March 29, 2010, 08:00:53 PM

I think there is a good bit of interest in the NBA draft.  This difference is the NBA is all about tape and less about measurables. 

TheShadow

Hall of Famer

#2 : March 29, 2010, 08:09:09 PM

Because hope springs eternal in NFL fans. No matter how bad your team is there's a chance that you draft players who will change the direction.

I think it's harder to watch the draft when your team is good. After the first round, you're talking backups. For us, starters. Fingers crossed.

Quit beefing about the past and start hoping for the future

Riddick

Second String

#3 : March 29, 2010, 08:12:06 PM

I think there is a good bit of interest in the NBA draft.  This difference is the NBA is all about tape and less about measurables.  
That's true. As soon as I posted I thought about the NBA lottery system and their fans. I'm not much of a NBA fan so I didn't think of that at first

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#4 : March 29, 2010, 08:15:12 PM

I think a lot is the way the league is set up - bringing in kids we watch to varying degrees in college.  A team is made or broken by draft picks.  And the number of picks isn't out of control like baseball - but offers more than the couple of NBA picks that are made.  The NFL draft by nature is the better TV product over the NBA or MLB

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#5 : March 29, 2010, 08:15:39 PM

The NFL has a lot more starting spots than other teams. A low first rounder is seen as a starter in this league, a low first rounder may not even get a chance to start for a few years in another sport because there's only 5/6 starters in the other sports you listed.

I'm also excited for 2 and 3rd rounds because those guys will get a chance at being a starter eventually, in those other sports, a 3rd rounder is lucky to even be on the team in a few years.

TheShadow

Hall of Famer

#6 : March 29, 2010, 08:20:41 PM

The NBA doesn't even have a 3rd round do they? Another reason people love the draft is that there's no minor league in the NFL. The NBA has a developmental league and the NHL and MLB have minor leagues.

Ramonb

Pro Bowler

#7 : March 29, 2010, 08:23:31 PM

Don't underestimate the offseasons slow slow pace and a HUNGRY nfl fans mind.  It seems that the draft is the only thing NFL that our brains have to feed on during these times.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#8 : March 29, 2010, 08:34:40 PM

I've never understood mock drafts.  They seem like the biggest waste of time in the world.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#9 : March 29, 2010, 08:47:48 PM

The NBA doesn't even have a 3rd round do they? Another reason people love the draft is that there's no minor league in the NFL. The NBA has a developmental league and the NHL and MLB have minor leagues.

nope, thats what i was going to get at. there arent as many players drafted in any of those other leagues except maybe MLB. even then, most of the rookies in baseball sit on a AAA team. you dont see them for awhile. NBA has two rounds so its over quick and has minimal impact minus a few players. NHL, well, NHL has a draft? lol.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#10 : March 29, 2010, 08:55:55 PM

I've never understood mock drafts.  They seem like the biggest waste of time in the world.

+1

Calvin Johnson

Hall of Famer

#11 : March 29, 2010, 09:36:13 PM

NFL is the most watched sport in North America. These draft picks can make or break a franchise. Plus the offseason is too long. So any nfl event during the offseason is exciting combine, FA, Draft etc. Shoot i'd rather watch the nfl draft than the first round of the nba playoffs

TheShadow

Hall of Famer

#12 : March 29, 2010, 09:50:48 PM

I've never understood mock drafts. They seem like the biggest waste of time in the world.

+1

Basically, mock drafts are rationalizations for your favorite team to get who you want.

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#13 : March 29, 2010, 09:53:15 PM

The value of the picks IMO.

In the NFL, rounds 1-7 every single player could end up being a starter right away. The majority of number 1 picks will see the field right away and be put in position to be impact players. Also in the NFL, you can find a niche as a 7th round draft pick and stick as a returner your rookie year and make an impact, or you can be groomed to be the future like other sports. However every single pick an NFL team makes could see playing time and make an impact their rookie season. Like others said, 53 spots to make an impact. As opposed to 5 - 9 in other sports.

In the NBA, unless you are a top 10 pick, you more than likely will ride the bench for awhile. Also very few 2nd rounders really get to make an immediate impact.

NHL isn't nearly as popular.

In the MLB you may not see that player for 3+ years and there is what, 50 rounds?

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#14 : March 29, 2010, 10:13:03 PM

The draft is really only interesting to teams that suck.   When the Bucs were good, I didn't care much about the draft.   Now, it's more interesting than the season itself.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why is the NFL draft so compelling? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools