Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why is the NFL draft so compelling? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#15 : March 29, 2010, 10:16:14 PM

The draft is really only interesting to teams that suck.   When the Bucs were good, I didn't care much about the draft.   Now, it's more interesting than the season itself.
Maybe to you, but to most who really like the draft it doesn't matter whether the team is picking 1st or 32nd.

Obviously I would prefer we pick 32nd but I love the draft anyway. It is more nerve racking IMO when you pick high and a pick really makes or breaks the team. When you pick 32nd it is still an awesome opportunity to add another star to the roster and continue to improve, though the pick definitely won't break the roster.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#16 : March 30, 2010, 05:00:37 AM

The value of the picks IMO.

In the NFL, rounds 1-7 every single player could end up being a starter right away. The majority of number 1 picks will see the field right away and be put in position to be impact players. Also in the NFL, you can find a niche as a 7th round draft pick and stick as a returner your rookie year and make an impact, or you can be groomed to be the future like other sports. However every single pick an NFL team makes could see playing time and make an impact their rookie season. Like others said, 53 spots to make an impact. As opposed to 5 - 9 in other sports.

In the NBA, unless you are a top 10 pick, you more than likely will ride the bench for awhile. Also very few 2nd rounders really get to make an immediate impact.

NHL isn't nearly as popular.

In the MLB you may not see that player for 3+ years and there is what, 50 rounds?
but in the NBA one player can make more of a difference than in football.  5 starters vs. 22.  When Orlando won the Shaq sweepstakes they went from a pathetic expansion team to an instant contender.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#17 : March 30, 2010, 05:05:25 AM

I think part of it is that all the other sports' preseason and seasons are so damn long that fans are not jonesing for it as much as they do the NFL. The NFL draft gives the fans a temporary fix to hold them over until OTA's and preseason.

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#18 : March 30, 2010, 08:01:24 AM

The NFL just packages it a lot better than the other sports. MLB - the guys may not make the Majors for five years. Same goes for the NHL.

In the NBA one guy could make a huge difference, but they hold the drafts on a weeknight...not allowing for parties and such.

Unfortunately, the NFL went for a money grab without thinking of their fans and moved it to Thursday. While excitement for the draft may still be building, I think it may wain if they keep it as the current Thursday, Friday, Saturday format.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#19 : March 30, 2010, 08:09:09 AM

I've never understood mock drafts.  They seem like the biggest waste of time in the world.

Guess it gives FFL players something to do in the off season.

As for the draft - always marked on my calender - and as big as a "game day" for me.

"New beginnings" for the Bucs, I guess.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#20 : March 30, 2010, 10:51:19 AM

The biggest reason is because so many of the rookies make an immediate impact (whether good or bad), and a large portion of them have staying power.  When you look at the other sports... the NBA draft usually only has about 10-12 good players and only 4 or 5 of them pan out.  In the NHL... ah, who cares, it's hockey.  With the MLB draft, because it takes so long for draft picks to make an impact, there's not as much of a following at the college level... hence, the lack of excitement.  Also, the short seasons leave you wanting more.  Baseball, basketball, and hockey... all are like 7-8 months.  People get their fill.

#21 : March 30, 2010, 10:55:09 AM

Compelling?

I am all over it because I am a huge, life-long fan of the buccaneers, have my own ideas on how to make the team better, emotionally invested and know the draft is the building block for making a team competitive.

I've fallen and I can't (and won't) get up.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#22 : March 30, 2010, 11:20:14 AM

It's all about timing and exposure. The NFL draft is right in the middle of offseason, free agency has mostly wound down and TC is 3 months away. In the NBA the lotto is during the playoffs and their draft is when some players haven't even finished showering from the last game. Also, the draft appeals to fans of the NFL and CFB, Rams, Lions, and Bucs fans will be watching those first 3 picks intently, and Tebow fans will be sticking around until he is drafted. Most MLB and NHL draftees never played in any nationally televised games. A lot of MLB draftees don't even sign with the team that drafted them.

The Draft is a collision between the two most watched TV sports, College Football and the NFL. Colleges with multiple first rounders promote it almost as much as the NFL does, for them it is serious bragging rights and recruiting ammo.

Also because football has more starters than a full NBA roster, there is far more chance for anyone of these kids to become a star. It is American Idol without the fan voting, the ultimate Reality Show with players getting voted on the Island not off (some will get voted off in TC). There is anticipation, drama, excitement, disappointment, and a guy with indestructible hair. All the things that make for good TV.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#23 : March 30, 2010, 12:29:52 PM

The draft is really only interesting to teams that suck. When the Bucs were good, I didn't care much about the draft. Now, it's more interesting than the season itself.

I always felt the draft was even more compelling when the Bucs were good. That's when I was looking for the team to draft replacements for our aging stars so that there wouldn't be a drop off in talent. Unfortunately it didn't work out that way.

Now, the draft is more nerve racking to me because we need to hit on ALL of our early selections AND find quality players in the later rounds.

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#24 : March 30, 2010, 12:52:30 PM

I agree with some of the other answers. The kids we draft will eventually and could be immediately stars on the team. Their is no D-League or AA or AAA, it's the NFL or bust (UFL). That one day (that is now three) could dictate the success of your team for years to come. No other draft has such professionally ready players (and some sleepers). The NBA might be close but still no one really watches it. The draft is a spectacle for NFL fans and should be so.

ilovebeer

Starter

#25 : March 30, 2010, 01:53:44 PM

It is crazy how much more coverage the NFL draft gets.  Did any of you guys know there is an NBA draft combine?

#26 : March 30, 2010, 03:11:10 PM

It is crazy how much more coverage the NFL draft gets. Did any of you guys know there is an NBA draft combine?

Lol... really?

I do not watch (or care) about BBall.   

DailyRich68

Starter
#27 : March 30, 2010, 03:58:20 PM

It's a nice refresher for the league.  You get a snapshot of who's where, who's doing what, and who might be going where.  You could completely ignore all NFL news from the end of the Super Bowl to the draft, in that one weekend, you're up to date on the state of the league.  It's a long cool drink after a hot walk in the desert.

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
#28 : March 30, 2010, 07:25:56 PM

Hopes and dreams for your tea,
Because hope springs eternal in NFL fans. No matter how bad your team is there's a chance that you draft players who will change the direction.

I think it's harder to watch the draft when your team is good. After the first round, you're talking backups. For us, starters. Fingers crossed.

What he said ^^ Hope springs eternal when you know your team needs serious help from the draft...

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#29 : March 30, 2010, 09:28:36 PM

1. NBA - the NBA has one round that matters and really about 8 picks that matter most years.  The NFL has 7 rounds, you can find guys to help all over the draft and teams do all the time.
2. MLB - You actually see NFL players in the NFL this year not 5 years from now. Plus, you've seen most of the guys in the NFL draft whereas most of the best players in the MLB draft you've never seen play.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why is the NFL draft so compelling? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools