Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: So much for building for the future « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 13

karen anderson

Practice Squad

: March 06, 2007, 12:16:24 AM

RJ & olafberserker---go to your rooms.  Java, I still have mine.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#1 : March 07, 2007, 07:23:13 AM

Interesting topic Java, from the opening until now.

I would offer a different look.  Without some help soon there were too many holes for the bucs to fill with NFL caliber players.  The bucs have addressed some short term with FA.  Those moves will help the younger bucs progress faster with a better chance for success.

Losing a 7th round draft pick is losing camp fodder unless a miracle happens - we all know about Brady in the sixth, but ...  You know what I mean.  The FO has used the FA cap space to fill several holes, form DL to QB - the continued youth movement will continue in the draft.

I am more worried about the draft than the spending in FA - the bucs need more annual success in the draft. 

PS If the bucs do trade Plummer for a better draft choice they will be looking pretty smart.  If Plummer reverses course and decides he wants to be a Buc the FO is still not overspending on the position - and there is nothing wrong with playing the best of Plummer, Garcia and Simms - so while some harp on the downside, I see a lot of upside. 

I mentioned on the other board the bucs FO is either luckier than one could imagine or brilliant.  We will see.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#2 : March 05, 2007, 08:34:09 PM

With the recent signings, it's obvious that Gruden wants to win right now with veterans rather than struggling for a couple more years while grooming young players.    I guess the pressure from the media and goober fans who want him fired for losing last year has gotten to him.    I'm a little disappointed in that approach since I'd prefer to see us build a great team for the future rather than patch together a team of different veterans every year.

#3 : March 05, 2007, 08:36:01 PM

yeah we signed Kevin Carter wtf we could have gotten a rookie in the draft but no we f up free agency once again

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#4 : March 05, 2007, 08:36:44 PM

With the recent signings, it's obvious that Gruden wants to win right now with veterans rather than struggling for a couple more years while grooming young players. I guess the pressure from the media and goober fans who want him fired for losing last year has gotten to him. I'm a little disappointed in that approach since I'd prefer to see us build a great team for the future rather than patch together a team of different veterans every year.

I think its too early to say this. This team has too many holes to simply rely on the draft to fill and not sign any vets in FA. There arent alot of quality young players in this FA class that can play at the same level as Kevin Carter and Jeff Garcia. Askew and Chuckwurah are also fairly young and will contribute for a while.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#5 : March 05, 2007, 08:36:59 PM

BUILDING IN THE DRAFT
Our 7 players picked will be key players in the NFL   :o

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#6 : March 05, 2007, 08:37:28 PM

I cannot believe this! I am a gru/allen guy and the whole thing about shopping at the nice stores and "watch what we do" and all this looks to be just bull. Its going to take a miracle trade to make things brighten up.

I know guys are getting tons of money but wait until next year when the cap goes up and the salaries go up yet again. This is the same song and dance we have seen for years. Bringing in old vets that may or may not give us 2 years of good play (if we are lucky) In the meantime you Ken Hamlin out there who is young and could be a difference maker for this team for years to come. Where the hell is he?

I have heard we are being laughed at by representing agents of certain players by just low balling the hell out them.

Baghead #2

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#7 : March 05, 2007, 08:37:39 PM

yeah we signed Kevin Carter wtf we could have gotten a rookie in the draft but no we f up free agency once again

We will still get at least one defensive linemen in the draft but who knows if he will be ready to start next season. We know Kevin Carter will. So Be patient.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#8 : March 05, 2007, 08:37:46 PM

There's no room for building for the future if it means losing in the process.  He has to win now as do most coaches in the league.  There's a lot of youth on this team as well as the vets being brought in.  We've also signed two young players in addition to the two vets and will be adding 4 players in the top 75 in the draft.  I'm not excited about the Carter addition, but I'm not throwing in the towel either.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#9 : March 05, 2007, 08:37:54 PM

Yeah, this team has no young guys. What a bunch of idiots Gru ad Bru are.

Whine, whine, whine...

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#10 : March 05, 2007, 08:38:43 PM

The Bucs have 5 picks in the top 100 of the 2007 draft.  I am not sure what would please some people?  20 day one picks? ???

bucboy 64

Second String

#11 : March 05, 2007, 08:38:58 PM

We still can build with the draft. Carter is a high character guy who will help mentor the young guys.

140BPM

Practice Squad

#12 : March 05, 2007, 08:39:16 PM

There is nothing wrong with plugging some very needy positions with proven vets while a healthy mix of young guys are in there too...

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#13 : March 05, 2007, 08:39:27 PM

10 guys over 30 who are starting, from what it looks like...

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#14 : March 05, 2007, 08:39:32 PM

The Bucs have 5 picks in the top 100 of the 2007 draft.  I am not sure what would please some people?  20 day one picks? ???

Im with you man, this team has way too many holes to fill to not bring in vetrean FAs.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 13
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: So much for building for the future « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools