Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: So much for building for the future « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 11 12 13

BucLord

Starter

#180 : March 06, 2007, 08:26:29 AM

Celebraty Deathmatch

Karen vs JavaBuc

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcia, Marcia, Marcia

It's always about Marcia

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#181 : March 06, 2007, 08:41:03 AM

Naw, Java & I don't do that.

tampabayfan

Pro Bowler

#182 : March 06, 2007, 09:05:09 AM

I swear if Simms starts and we start off 0-3, you think I bust on Gruden now? wait! Simms always looks good in camp but after the performance you gave in the first 3 games-- i dont want him anywhere near a football. I hope he ends up 3rd string.  I love the Garcia signing.  I hope he is able to secure some wins. Simms can look pretty holding the clipboard.

sma2680

Practice Squad

#183 : March 06, 2007, 10:57:50 AM

Just b/c we signed a few vets certainly doesn't mean we are not building for the future.  We have to fill a roster, and signing veterans is something that can't be avoided.  I think that the Bucs strategy for building for the future starts with fiscal responsibility, which the bucs seem to have made their priority.  We have gotten out of the salary cap mess, and have been shrewd in signing marginal younger players to ridiculous contracts.  NE is always praised for their personnel moves, and they frequently bring in vets - think Harrison and Seau.  Keeping cap space available for the long run allows us to keep our developed players under contract after their initial deals expire.  Notice how the Bucs haven't had to release any big name players to free up cap space...most teams have. 

While Carter and Garcia are not long term solutions, they are good current solutions, ones that buy us time to draft and develop replacements instead of overpaying for them in FA. 

#184 : March 06, 2007, 11:04:29 AM

With the recent signings, it's obvious that Gruden wants to win right now with veterans rather than struggling for a couple more years while grooming young players. I guess the pressure from the media and goober fans who want him fired for losing last year has gotten to him. I'm a little disappointed in that approach since I'd prefer to see us build a great team for the future rather than patch together a team of different veterans every year.

He is going to build the depth through the draft. Nothing different from the McKay years. We will fill holes in FA and draft players to give us young depth

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#185 : March 06, 2007, 11:25:55 AM

With the recent signings, it's obvious that Gruden wants to win right now with veterans rather than struggling for a couple more years while grooming young players. I guess the pressure from the media and goober fans who want him fired for losing last year has gotten to him. I'm a little disappointed in that approach since I'd prefer to see us build a great team for the future rather than patch together a team of different veterans every year.

I look at it as a good mix of youth and veterans. We found out what having a bunch of young players got us last season (4 wins).
This league is no longer one where you develope players over several seasons - they become free agents and leave.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#186 : March 07, 2007, 06:04:06 AM

I am not comfortable with Brooks starting.

Thats unfortunate, because thats what we're looking at.

Yeah piling up double digit tackles in a game with Julian Peterson opposite of you is ok???

I find this funny as a guy who had to constantly defend Lance Briggs as being worthwhile, even though everyone wanted to give all the credit for his seasons to playing next to Urlacher. Now you want to argue a single game? You're going to have to come with more than that. Sean Mahan has starting experience. So does Mike Williams. Doesn't seem to matter too much to me, I think they both suck.

49ers switched to a 3-4 defense.  Why would they retain him? Did they keep Peterson? Winborn made it clear he was not comfortable playing in a 3-4 defense.  He was injured while in Jacksonville.

Even with a switch, some guys can still play ILB if they were worthwhile. Take for instance Donnie Edwards, he's undersized and I believe played in the 4-3 as a Chief. As a Charger too if I'm not mistaken. Then they went to the 3-4 and kept him around and he continued to produce. Winborn wasn't really a guy who wasn't expendable, so he was gone. A more talented guy with the same skill set, and he's a lot harder to let go.

But Winborn had talent and that all important "starting experience", Jacksonville let him walk? Of course they did. You're not going to sell me on Winborn being a stud LB. The guy's been in the league for SIX seasons and has less of a resume than Dewayne White. A guy who hasn't done jack anywhere, and now he's assuming the "Marquis Cooper" role on the defense behind a guy who it'll take an act of god to replace any time soon. Honestly, if he retired to become a monk tomorrow, I couldn't care less.

Winborn has starting experience as well as Buchanon.  Buchanon showed he was a capable #2 CB last year with some good coaching.  What more do they have to bring to the table?  Strippers wearing g-strings like Phist has always wanted? :D

Again, what is starting experience worth? Nothing at all. There's dozens upon dozens of guys out on the market with starting experience and they aren't making much noise because they don't have the TALENT and the PLAY to make teams pursue them heavily. Buchanon is different than Winborn though, Buchanon has talent. But his play had been VERY sub-par with the Raiders. And this is coming from a guy who will never admit a UM bust. He was teetering on the edge there in Oakland. Then he went on to play for the Texans, and get released. By the Texans?! There's the problem. He's a guy who's got 5 seasons under his belt, and started a grand total of 4 end of the season games for us. Granted, he was solid. And a good nickel CB. But Haye was solid, am I supposed to expect Haye to be our future DE? Not anymore than P-Buc to be our future starting CB or Winborn our future WSLB.

Are you really expecting me to have faith in these guys ADW? P-Buc had a few good games, Winborn had a double digit tackle game playing with Peterson? You're arguing so much and backing it up with such a small sample size, it's tough to say "yeah, you're right Winborn was a beast in that Broncos game a few years back, I could definitely see him taking over for DB". You know?

Yes you can find another Chuk problem is good luck at this point. Charles Bennet has a chance of becoming Chuk but he clearly is a project at this point.

No what is relevant with Carter's contract is his base salary the two first years and his signing bonus.

The majority of the Bucs signings so far have been under the age of 30.  A team becomes younger and cheaper through the draft.  Bucs have five picks in the top 100 with one being a blue chip player.

I could find you 15 Chuks out on the market now, again you don't need to be a pro bowler to have the type of resume that guy has.

All I had on Carter's contracts were BS reported #s. My mistake. No wait, it's those -------s that reported it's mistake! ;)

The draft is a completely different issue than FA, our FA signings have nothing to do with the draft. Operating under that logic, we could sign 4 impact players or 4 Junior Seau's with one foot in the retirement home, and it'd all be the same because we have X amount of first day picks. Completely separate issue.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#187 : March 07, 2007, 06:22:10 AM

The draft is a completely different issue than FA, our FA signings have nothing to do with the draft. Operating under that logic, we could sign 4 impact players or 4 Junior Seau's with one foot in the retirement home, and it'd all be the same because we have X amount of first day picks. Completely separate issue.

Unless we trade away our draft picks for guys like Jake Plummer.
Page: 1 ... 11 12 13
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: So much for building for the future « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools