Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mahan to start this week. What gives? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#15 : October 19, 2006, 09:20:53 PM

Muir is delusional. 

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/10/16/Bucs/Bryant_experiences_an.shtml

LINE MOVES: Sean Mahan replaced Dan Buenning at left guard late in the first half and played the rest of the game. Buenning, who has started all 21 games in which he has played, was called for tripping in the first quarter.

Mahan was penalized for a false start and a tripping late in the fourth quarter.

Line coach Bill Muir said not to read anything into the change.

"Sean, we feel, is a good football player," Muir said. "And I didn't want to leave any game we play without him having some opportunities."

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#16 : October 19, 2006, 09:30:06 PM

Lets get an oline petition going to fire his butt!  I've lost patience with Muir and think his coaching style doesn't match what we are doing offensively any longer.  I mean, what is it saying when the last  3+ guys drafted for the Oline don't fit the Muir mold.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#17 : October 19, 2006, 09:33:07 PM

Rumor has it that Mahan has some compromising pictures of Muir.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#18 : October 19, 2006, 09:33:57 PM

could the bucs brass be trying to save face for rushing Dan back from injury too soon?
Its this kind of logic that is really ridiculous.

Chucky, I have some shocking info from a source deep inside the Bucs organization. This Bucs "Deep Throat" says that they are not putting Mahan in the lineup to save face.  They are actually doing it to try to WIN THE GAME!

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

#19 : October 19, 2006, 09:45:27 PM

Another thing to consider is that maybe they feel more confident in Mahan's ability to pick up the blitz. He doesn't get manhandled by DT's, but from what I have seen it isn't as much about being out of position as it is about not having the physical tools.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#20 : October 19, 2006, 09:53:56 PM

Its this kind of logic that is really ridiculous.

Chucky, I have some shocking info from a source deep inside the Bucs organization. This Bucs "Deep Throat" says that they are not putting Mahan in the lineup to save face.  They are actually doing it to try to WIN THE GAME!

You honestly believe Mahan is better than Buenning?

Another thing to consider is that maybe they feel more confident in Mahan's ability to pick up the blitz. He doesn't get manhandled by DT's, but from what I have seen it isn't as much about being out of position as it is about not having the physical tools.

Mahan is ragdolled in pass protection and run blocking as a guard.  I do not hate the guy as his natural position is center and he can pull and block in space. 

But Muir saying that Mahan is a good player and he needs playing time is simply silly.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#21 : October 19, 2006, 10:04:33 PM

Well it looks like the O-line still needs a little attention in FA and the draft.........WTF is this Groundhog Day   [banghead]

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#22 : October 19, 2006, 10:09:57 PM

Well it looks like the O-line still needs a little attention in FA and the draft.........WTF is this Groundhog Day   [banghead]

I disagree.  This is a case where Muir is clueless and once again can not see the difference between a talented good player versus and average/below average not so talented player.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#23 : October 19, 2006, 10:22:40 PM

I disagree.  This is a case where Muir is clueless and once again can not see the difference between a talented good player versus and average/below average not so talented player.

I think we have one player along our O-line that I would categorize as truly talented.  Most of them are hard working graders, which isn't a bad thing.  If we ever want to have a great offense it all starts upfront, and unfortunately what we have upfront is unlikely to ever be great.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#24 : October 19, 2006, 10:28:29 PM

No team in the NFL has a great o-line for long periods of time in the salary cap era.  Most of the time you have to plug in a new guy and move on.  Trueblood, Joseph, Buenning and AD (some will debate this) are all talented.  Only player on the o-line that is not talented is obviously Wade. 

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#25 : October 19, 2006, 10:41:09 PM

we're facing one of the most blitz-happy schemes in the NFL.  we blew assignments vs the blitz against the ravens and our offense disintegrated.  maybe the coaches are worried about buenning's ability to cover his assignments in big blitz situations.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#26 : October 19, 2006, 10:45:49 PM

we're facing one of the most blitz-happy schemes in the NFL.  we blew assignments vs the blitz against the ravens and our offense disintegrated.  maybe the coaches are worried about buenning's ability to cover his assignments in big blitz situations.

Mahan, Jeb and Wade were the main culprits in the Ravens game with blitz pickup.  I believe Buenning did not play in that game. 

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#27 : October 19, 2006, 10:46:14 PM

There's a lot more to an effective OL than just raw ability. Some considerations have to be made regarding which five players work the best together, which have the best communication, which know the assignments the best, and who responds best to coaching. Bear in mind that Mahan has played OC before and knows all the line calls. If you have a guard who is struggling with his assignments at times, and you don't have an obvious replacement for him or someone who was already pressing to take his spot, one of the first guys you consider plugging into his position is your backup center.

Even though they're both rookies, DJ and True have good chemistry on the right side. Last week showed that they can handle it. If you feel your left side isn't gelling like you want, you start first by considering what you're going to do at LG before you even THINK about messing with your LT.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#28 : October 19, 2006, 10:48:53 PM

Buenning and AD had good chemistiry all of last year and this year even with Buenning's up/down play that left side still was not the main problem area.  When Mahan is taken out of RG how come that right side improves dramatically?  How come when Buenning is benched and Mahan is put in at LG in the last game how does that left side look worse?

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#29 : October 19, 2006, 10:50:00 PM

Last year, the QB's blind side was NOT the left side. And I think you need to spend a little more time watching the tape and get back to me.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mahan to start this week. What gives? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools