Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mahan to start this week. What gives? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#30 : October 19, 2006, 10:55:13 PM

Last year, the QB's blind side was NOT the left side. And I think you need to spend a little more time watching the tape and get back to me.

While Griese was playing the left side was the blindside.  Buenning had problems here and there but he finished the year strong as a rookie.  AD had up down play in pass protection last year.  In the end the left side had better chemistry in terms of run blocking and pass  blocking.  Even with Simms in there the left side was not that bad.

Kenyatta's play deteriorated past game 10 and Mahan simply was the weakest link for 17 games.  That right side last year was the weakest link.

This year AD's pass protection with the weight loss is vaslty improved.  While Buenning is not playing up to his play like last year he is still playing better than Mahan.

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#31 : October 19, 2006, 11:00:06 PM

Mahan has sucked, but Buenning has been pretty shakey this year. I'd love to see the Bucs draft/sign a LG and center in the offseason. I think Davis can be ok at LT...especially if he has a good guard next to him. If our right side can continue to improve, we could have a strong line next year.

I think we need to look primarily on D this offseason, but C/OL, FB (with Alstott retiring most likely), and possibly a WR/returner in the draft.

I think on day 1 (with 4 picks) we need to go DT, S, OG or C, and probably a CB. If we can come away with that, I'd be pretty happy and we'll have gone a long way towards rebuilding our D.

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#32 : October 19, 2006, 11:00:36 PM

Ok ADW, you know a lot more about OL play than me, so I'll defer to you on it.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#33 : October 19, 2006, 11:05:16 PM

Ok ADW, you know a lot more about OL play than me, so I'll defer to you on it.

Not saying that I know more.  I understand you are trying to find a logical reason. But at this point I have asked myself these questionas as well.  I have even looked at it as if Muir is protecting Buenning from his bad play or trying to downplay Buenning injury situation.  But when Muir comes out and says not only that Mahan is a good player but also deserves playing time?  I am left clueless?  Doesn't Jeb deserve playing time?   What is wrong with Buenning?

gharen

Pro Bowler

#34 : October 19, 2006, 11:06:18 PM

Why are the boys from PR so quiet on this subject? I hope Buennig hasn't failed any drug tests.

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#35 : October 19, 2006, 11:09:03 PM

There's a lot more to an effective OL than just raw ability. Some considerations have to be made regarding which five players work the best together, which have the best communication, which know the assignments the best, and who responds best to coaching. Bear in mind that Mahan has played OC before and knows all the line calls. If you have a guard who is struggling with his assignments at times, and you don't have an obvious replacement for him or someone who was already pressing to take his spot, one of the first guys you consider plugging into his position is your backup center.

Problem with that is that even at RG, Mahan was missing assignments as well as getting manhandled by DT's. And from the Cinci game, during Caddy's last run in which he lost 6 yds on, I believe it was a DT getting by Mahan that blew up the play in the backfield. Granted, Beunning hasn't played up to expectations, but he wasn't any worse than Mahan. Mahan just has no push in the run game.

#36 : October 20, 2006, 09:01:14 AM

It's got to be Buenning's ankle.  You don't pull your "best lineman" because of a bad game or two.  I hope Buenning recovers soon.  Like, before Sunday and the Shegals.  I'd like to see Mahan at C some, though.

BucsAddict

Starter

#37 : October 20, 2006, 09:37:48 AM

If Cummings is to be believed its Buennings sprained ankle that is causing this

==================================================
Gruden: Simms is gonna be a helluva quaterback- unless I screw it up.

Garv

Hall of Famer
#38 : October 20, 2006, 09:58:12 AM

Apparently therer are many posters here FAR more qualified, FAR more experienced in coaching, FAR more interested in winning football games that Jon Gruden and his staff.
I wonder if calls to Bruce Allen are not in order? We could tell him who to start based on name calling instead of that stupid old process of being there every day at practice evaluating players. Yeah, yeah, THAT'S the ticket!

We are all here because we are NOT all there.....
As always, GO BUCS!!!

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#39 : October 20, 2006, 10:22:00 AM

Raggedy is good pulling.  As a matter of fact, I love that about him, but that's it.  He's getting no push at the POA and most times he's getting destroyed...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

#40 : October 20, 2006, 10:27:29 AM

Mahan has sucked, but Buenning has been pretty shakey this year. I'd love to see the Bucs draft/sign a LG and center in the offseason. I think Davis can be ok at LT...especially if he has a good guard next to him. If our right side can continue to improve, we could have a strong line next year.

I think we need to look primarily on D this offseason, but C/OL, FB (with Alstott retiring most likely), and possibly a WR/returner in the draft.

I think on day 1 (with 4 picks) we need to go DT, S, OG or C, and probably a CB. If we can come away with that, I'd be pretty happy and we'll have gone a long way towards rebuilding our D.

Fire Muir! It's not the players, it is him! There are plenty of teams with lower draft picks on the line (some were undrafted) that have jelled very quickly. It is the coach and I don't understand how Gruden is letting this loyalty to Muir cloud his judgement! It stinks, Muir has been here enough years to have a cohesive unit. When the press talks to him he has nothing to offer. It's terrible.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#41 : October 20, 2006, 11:13:27 AM

How 'bout that right side of the line!  WOOT!

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#42 : October 20, 2006, 11:47:28 PM

Buenning had some problems in pass protection at New Orleans and when he struggled early against the Bengals, Bucs coaches didn't hesitate to insert Mahan.

"I don't know much about what's going on," Buenning said Thursday. "They're pretty secretive. It's whatever they want right now. I didn't have the best couple of plays last week, but nobody has a perfect game."

Mahan, who started 16 games at right guard in 2005, took the majority of snaps at left guard in Thursday's practice.

Doesn't sound like he is injured.  At least, he is being secretive about that.  It sounds like a performance problem, to me.  And if he has degenerated into getting beaten by a utility backup-type player in Mahan, then we should all be afraid.  Be very afraid.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#43 : October 21, 2006, 03:34:47 AM

Apparently therer are many posters here FAR more qualified, FAR more experienced in coaching, FAR more interested in winning football games that Jon Gruden and his staff.
I wonder if calls to Bruce Allen are not in order? We could tell him who to start based on name calling instead of that stupid old process of being there every day at practice evaluating players. Yeah, yeah, THAT'S the ticket!

I was unaware that a lengthy career in coaching was needed to get the impression that Mahan sucks on Sundays. All this time, I was just going on gut feeling.....

Firstly, no coaches are infallible so criticism will come when they make decisions. It's just like when someone says "we should've drafted player X instead of player Y". It's possible he could be correct, even if he's not going to be in a headset on NFL sidelines any time soon. Secondly, people are questioning how much we know about Buenning's injury. I, for one, wouldn't be surprised at all if the staff were withholding info about it. It wouldn't be the first time it was done in the NFL, and unless the world comes to an end tomorrow, it won't be the last.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#44 : October 21, 2006, 07:03:48 AM

Buenning had some problems in pass protection at New Orleans and when he struggled early against the Bengals, Bucs coaches didn't hesitate to insert Mahan.

"I don't know much about what's going on," Buenning said Thursday. "They're pretty secretive. It's whatever they want right now. I didn't have the best couple of plays last week, but nobody has a perfect game."

Mahan, who started 16 games at right guard in 2005, took the majority of snaps at left guard in Thursday's practice.

Doesn't sound like he is injured.  At least, he is being secretive about that.  It sounds like a performance problem, to me.  And if he has degenerated into getting beaten by a utility backup-type player in Mahan, then we should all be afraid.  Be very afraid.

Even with Buenning's miscues he is still superior.  I mean Buenning has one penalty and is benched but Mahan proceeds to have two in the game???  This has Muir playing favorites with Mahan all over it.  I mean where is Jeb in all of this as well? 
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mahan to start this week. What gives? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools