Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: PR ALERT: BUCS NEVER PURSUED HOLMES « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#30 : April 12, 2010, 02:20:57 PM

I keep going back to the nominal price, yes it is a pick but here are 10 years of R5 picks:

Xavier Fulton
Josh Johnson
Greg Peterson
Julian Jenkins
Donte Nicholson
Larry Brackins
Jeb Terry
Sean Mahan
Jermaine Phillips
Russ Hochstein
James Whalen

We're not uniquely awful in that round but you aren't trading much, heck 12 games is more than most of hose guys ever added to the sum of the Bucs' effort.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Coburn

Rookie

#31 : April 12, 2010, 02:23:32 PM

So Doug (pertaining to my post above-reply #8)

Who would you rank as having a worse WR core then the Bucs of the 29 incompetent teams.

Ask me after the draft when the rosters are finalized.

I would also add that if Santonio was as good of value as everyone makes it out to be it doesn't matter too much how their WR depth looks. Is it any different in the draft when they teams look for BPA? Value is value unless you have 4 or 5 amazing recievers. Again it's only a 5th round pick which is so hit or miss.. so all those other teams apparently didn't think he could improve their team.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#32 : April 12, 2010, 02:24:15 PM

The Bucs were smart not to go after him. What the crybabies refuse to realize is, he got traded for a 5th round pick for a reason. Teams just don't trade great players for 5th rounders.

Exactly...they only do that with 4th rounders like the Raiders did with Moss.

At the time, most people considered Moss done. Besides, he was traded to the best orginization in the league (arguably). If he was traded to a bad team, he would've been the same lazy player he was in Oakland.

Some of you people just want to cry. The Steelers dumped this guy for a reason. He's a long suspension waiting to happen, and he's no Randy Moss either.....just stop crying and wait for the draft. We'll add some WR help there.
I’m not crying…just don’t be all surprised when Freeman has a subpar Sophomore year.

I don’t even think Peyton Manning could succeed with the current WR core…and hate to break it to you, but nobody in the draft will change that this year…..and that is certainly important when it comes to the development of your franchise QB.

If we add Brandon Marshall, then by all means, I’ll stop my “crying”…but if we don’t add a #1 WR….(or even a #2 for that matter), then don’t expect progress from Freeman….

Why won't anyone we draft help? Where do you think Santonio Holmes came from? You think the Steelers jut showed up to his door and gave him an blank check and told him to write any number he pleases on there? They drafted him.

Our WRs don't look good, but if Freeman is a good QB he will get the most out of them. We don't know how good Stroughter will be either, he's young and improving. We'll add a high pick WR to the mix. Our WRs won't be a high pick in your fantasy draft, but we will be okay if Freeman develops properly.
This draft has good depth in many positions, but WR position is not one of them.

Don’t get me wrong, I think some posters on this board could be #3 WRs on the Bucs current team, so a draft pick making an impact isn’t out of the question.  The question, rather, is if the impact will be enough to benefit Freeman.

Freeman should get the most out of his WRs, but with the current group…”MOST” is just above Hellen Keller status.  People say that Peyton and Brady get the most out of their WRs…which is true, but that is putting an awful lot of pressure on your 21 year old QB, isn’t it?

Don’t you think it would be better to surround the guy with Anquan Boldin’s, Santonio Holmes, or Brandon Marshalls?

2 of those guys are out of the question, but we still have hopes for Marshall.  Let’s just hope he don’t get “Ben Roethlisberger’ed” on the trade.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#33 : April 12, 2010, 02:26:56 PM

I keep going back to the nominal price, yes it is a pick but here are 10 years of R5 picks:

Xavier Fulton
Josh Johnson
Greg Peterson
Julian Jenkins
Donte Nicholson
Larry Brackins
Jeb Terry
Sean Mahan
Jermaine Phillips
Russ Hochstein
James Whalen

We're not uniquely awful in that round but you aren't trading much, heck 12 games is more than most of hose guys ever added to the sum of the Bucs' effort.
Come on now Dalbuc..you know the generic response to that post is going to be, “Well we have a new regime now.  Just look at how good they draft.  Fulton made a tremendous impact last year.”

LABuc

Starter

#34 : April 12, 2010, 02:31:14 PM

They want a long term player to grow with Freeman.  Holmes wont be that guy for financial and off the field reasons.  

This is a very reasonable post.

Morris knew something about Holmes through Tomlin.  I think the guy is heading for a suspension, probably he's already got something boilin behind the scenes (like throwing a glass at some chic) thats a 1 year suspension waiting to happen.  If we had traded for Holmes and he subsequently got suspended for the entire season, there would be even more bombinick/radiohead threads than their are now.  It was a smart move, and most of the fan upheaval is just knee-jerk IMHO.
+1 for both....

Whats the point in trading a 5th round pick  for a guy who will play only 12 games for us, and bring bring us problems. No way OUR FO will pay Santonio for an extension past this year, I rather have a 5th rounder and hope he proves to at least be a decent back up for the next few years. Considering the fact that Freeman will be in his crucial 2nd year, I really wouldn't want to bring him in unless we already had an established leader at WR to keep Santonio at bay or at least from negatively influencing our young roster.

If anything, what I hate about this trade is that he went to the Jets. He may actually make Sanchez look good, I just hope he keeps screwing up. I'm from LA, am a Trojan, but I sure as hell don't want any team becoming so dominant as the Jets could very well be.

Derrick Brooks, NFL Hall of Fame Class of 2014.

Doug09

Hall of Famer

#35 : April 12, 2010, 02:32:16 PM

Xavier Fulton
Josh Johnson
Greg Peterson
Julian Jenkins
Donte Nicholson
Larry Brackins
Jeb Terry
Sean Mahan
Jermaine Phillips
Russ Hochstein
James Whalen

Come on now Dalbuc..you know the generic response to that post is going to be, �Well we have a new regime now.  Just look at how good they draft.  Fulton made a tremendous impact last year.�

My response would have been, "Why GUARANTEE yourself 12 games from that pick instead of trying to go the route of the draft?". If Dominik knows a contract is not a viable option, I'd rather take my chances with the draft pick.

We're not going anywhere this year, there really is no sense in bringing him in.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#36 : April 12, 2010, 02:38:41 PM

My response would have been, "Why GUARANTEE yourself 12 games from that pick instead of trying to go the route of the draft?". If Dominik knows a contract is not a viable option, I'd rather take my chances with the draft pick.

We're not going anywhere this year, there really is no sense in bringing him in.

I love all the "we're not even gonna try" people. Seriously, with a decent QB on the roster - which Freeman should be- shouldn't we at least be competitive? Most teams with a credible QB are competitive in the NFL. 

Plus, the 5th rounder is junk. you'd trade ALL our R5 players in the last decade for Holmes. Yes he' a risk but then again people would applaud drafting a knucklehead like Mike Williams with that same R5 pick so risk isn't the issue.

In the end the lack of effort is what leaps off the page. Yes Holmes is a risk but when he price drops that low I think you should at least be looking with interest with a player of his talent and productivity and not just ignoring the opportunity to perhaps get better on the cheap.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Doug09

Hall of Famer

#37 : April 12, 2010, 02:40:19 PM

I love all the "we're not even gonna try" people. Seriously, with a decent QB on the roster - which Freeman should be- shouldn't we at least be competitive? Most teams with a credible QB are competitive in the NFL. 

Plus, the 5th rounder is junk. you'd trade ALL our R5 players in the last decade for Holmes. Yes he' a risk but then again people would applaud drafting a knucklehead like Mike Williams with that same R5 pick so risk isn't the issue.

In the end the lack of effort is what leaps off the page. Yes Holmes is a risk but when he price drops that low I think you should at least be looking with interest with a player of his talent and productivity and not just ignoring the opportunity to perhaps get better on the cheap.

Geno Hayes is a 6th rounder, would you trade 6-7 years of him for 12 games of Holmes?

Ramonb

Pro Bowler

#38 : April 12, 2010, 02:47:53 PM

Thats why we should get the "big one" that being Marshall,...I'd take nim AND his baggage, not soo much for Holmes.  Plus i doubt we would go for Marshall if we had landed Holmes.

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#39 : April 12, 2010, 03:03:19 PM

5th rounders this year would be round 3 and 4 talents in other seasons.  this is why the steelers accepted that pick and this is why the bucs wouldn't give up that pick.  holmes is going to look for someone to pay him more than anquan boldin and probably in the range of a top 5 WR, which he absolutely isn't, and won't sign an extension with the steelers or jets until he sees if someone will.  this is why the bucs didn't bring him in, it would be like groundhog day from antonio bryant last year - he is younger, but he'd basically be down here as a tourist and gone by next january, playing 12 games at best.  

i don't think you can compare this to the brandon marshall situation at all, since marshall actually IS the type of WR he wants to be paid like.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#40 : April 12, 2010, 03:32:05 PM

More incompetence from an awfully run organization.

That's worrisome, 29 incompetent NFL organizations in the league.

29 NFL organizations are not in desperate need for a WR. Without a true #1, this team is going to be really bad.

JoshJohnson11

Hall of Famer

#41 : April 12, 2010, 03:34:01 PM

We better get a big WR here fast or we will not have a chance this year.

Please leave your message after the beep.BEEP!!!

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#42 : April 12, 2010, 03:36:52 PM

They are putting tall their eggs in one basket...The Bucs are hope whoever they pick in the 2nd round turns out to be a superstar.

JoshJohnson11

Hall of Famer

#43 : April 12, 2010, 03:40:22 PM

They are putting tall their eggs in one basket...The Bucs are hope whoever they pick in the 2nd round turns out to be a superstar.
That's why I'm saying we gotta get Dez he's the most NFL ready WR in this draft and He's the only thing that we save Rah's job.

Please leave your message after the beep.BEEP!!!

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#44 : April 12, 2010, 04:14:05 PM

BUCS NEVER PURSUED HOLMES

Yeah, they pursued David Joseph.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: PR ALERT: BUCS NEVER PURSUED HOLMES « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools