Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Monte should retire. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
: March 05, 2007, 11:01:52 PM

Carter is overpaid.  Its Gruden!  Wait a minute.  Gruden is coaching the defense?  No I believe its Kiffin.  Carter hobnobs around One Buc for a day or two. He's hanging out with Gruden?  I think not.  He's visiting with Kiffin, Coyer and Brooks.   Kiffin is the guy who told Allen to "Get Carter!"

I'm getting more and more convinced that Monte Kiffin is not right for rebuilding a defense. 

White a 2nd rounder had a heck of a time breaking in the lineup and only did because of injury. Then Kiffin doesn't want to put out a big effort to keep him. Don't just blame it on Allen.  Ruud is a high 2nd round couldn't break in and only will do so because the doctor says Quarles can't play.   Kiffin couldn't get anything out of those young safeties Allen and Phillips. We need to bring in new younger coaches to do that.   

If as Deumig says theres a gap between Defense and Offense, OK.  But is it all the evil Gruden and the great Monte?  Or is it difference of philosophy?   The Gru/Allen regime has a philosophy to draft players to an area of need and plug that hole.  How much is Monte trying to change his ways to fit into that?  Monte, if you want some players from the first two rounds you have to promise that "Yes Jon I'll put them in."  Because Monte you don't get to do it your way all the time.  Its not your team.

Kiffin has been a DC longer than any other, 11 years.  But in that time he has had much of the same core group of guys.  Ronde Barber: 11 years.  Derrick Brooks:  13 years.  Shelton Quarles:  11 years.  Greg Spires:  10 years.  Rice 7 of his 12 years as a Buc.   

Kiffin in all his 11 years has depended on those mainstays and on a very slow trickle of youth who take five years to get up to speed and HE HAS NEVER HAD TO REBUILD.  Torry Cox is a perfect example. He's finally getting it after five years. 

5 Years.  Thats about how long it takes to get into his circle of trust.  Now Gruden and Allen with their "plug the guy in right now" approach. They just don't match.

I am starting to wonder if Monte wants his own fiefdom will not change his ways.  He doesn't want to get into any politics.  Thats not fine.  The DC has to get involved.  Kiffin doesn't want to do that.   And he doesn't want to put young players into the starting lineup to learn on the job.  Ask Ruud and White.

The Glazers saw something they didn't like about the "structure of the organization" and they didn't do anything about it so far.  I think it may be this disconnect between Monte and Gruden/Allen in philosophy.   And I don't think all the fault is on the Gruden/Allen side. Its two different styles that don't mesh.

Monte has never had to rebuild, but finally those old standby's are coming to the end of the road.  I don't think Monte is the guy to make wholesale changes and work to put young draft picks into the starting lineup, which is what should be done. 

If Gruden and Allen go, then Kiffin should go with them.  We need a new DC to make the wholesale changes for a rebuilding defense.  If Gruden and Allen stay, then we need to get a new DC who can work with the Allen and Gruden philosophy.

Bottom Line: Either way this should be Monte's last year.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#1 : March 05, 2007, 11:08:14 PM

Bottom Line: Either way this should be Monte's last year.

I think it is official.  Hysteria has hit Buc nation. :D

I agree that the Bucs should not be reluctant to play young, drafted defensive players (eg White, Ruud) at the same time the Bucs have played a lot of young talent on defense over the years

Itch you vastly underestimate how many young players have played on this D over ten years.  The mainstays on D have been the core and even that (Lynch, Sapp, Brooks) is almost gone with Brooks left and yet Kiffen still fields a competitive defense.

Sorry I am not jumping off Kiffen's bandwagon.  I trust Monte.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#2 : March 05, 2007, 11:08:42 PM

In Monte I trust.

#3 : March 05, 2007, 11:11:20 PM

Bravo Itch, bravo.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#4 : March 05, 2007, 11:14:06 PM

Sarcasm is duly noted.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#5 : March 05, 2007, 11:14:43 PM

I did not see it becuase it was not in blue.  [banghead] :D

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#6 : March 06, 2007, 03:00:23 AM

It's official.  Itch is absolutely off the wall & has lost whatever football acumen he had.  The top 10 defense for 10 yrs & Monte's lost it?  Where was our offense?  Bottom 1/3, I think. Looney tunes! Explain yourself, RJ.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#7 : March 06, 2007, 03:18:09 AM

Who wants to start the Larry Brackins for Defensive Coordinator thread?

I am noting your opinion, but I hardly agree, Kiffin is the best in the business. I will say this, many Buccaneer fans talk about how they want Calvin Johnson or Joe Thomas, I really wished we would get a great defensive player in this draft, someone who could easily step in and take the starting role.

The way I see it, is if you're on the gridiron for the Buccaneers D, you had to be ready and thoroughly approved, you had to earn that privilege. Sometimes a few kids may be thrown out there before they are truly ready, I think our safetys are an example, but in most cases, experience is key to deciding who starts, rarely skill. I will say that sometimes you can have too much experience (when you get into the 33 year old or more area) but you catch my drift.

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#8 : March 06, 2007, 07:28:31 AM

I think some are missing the sarcasm here or maybe I'm just reading this all wrong.

Buc Wylde

Hall of Famer

#9 : March 06, 2007, 07:56:20 AM

I hope it's sarcasm... if not, it makes me think someone needs to go check on Itch.. make sure he's aiight
Off season can be a strange time and make people crazy

Quote from: Raheem Morris
We got to get better at doing something, and that is what we have to set our focus on and that is something to get better at. That\\\\\\\'s what we are trying to do right now.

Buccobruce

Starter

#10 : March 06, 2007, 09:05:30 AM

Who wants to start the Larry Brackins for Defensive Coordinator thread?

LMAO!!

vipmark

Starter
#11 : March 06, 2007, 09:16:53 AM

Kiffin's D has also suffered from the lack of draft picks and cap money,still worth a SB IMO. Kiffin's only big mistakes may have been Franklin and Burns, it takes several great Coaches to make a team great. I think the return of Morris , the addition of Coyer, and the promotion of Bradley will remedy many problems. Carter and Chuckwura will be much better than White and a whole lot cheaper.
   I think he is being sarcastic, i'm addressing those that think he is not and agree

thanson

Starter

#12 : March 06, 2007, 09:32:31 AM

Monte Retire! Are you on crack! He could anywhere and be a head coach. It is his defense that all the other teams have copied. That is how the Bears with the Tampa 2 go there. Monte is just pulling a few strings out of his sleeve. Some of you may not understand it but that is why He is a coach and you are not.

Note: You were probably on the bandwagon when they said Sapp was a druggy and no good, Brooks was too small, and why are we spending a 2nd round pick on FB from Purdue.  You do your job and let Monte do his.

BUCky Badger

vipmark

Starter
#13 : March 06, 2007, 09:58:49 AM

Monte Retire! Are you on crack! He could anywhere and be a head coach. It is his defense that all the other teams have copied. That is how the Bears with the Tampa 2 go there. Monte is just pulling a few strings out of his sleeve. Some of you may not understand it but that is why He is a coach and you are not.

Note: You were probably on the bandwagon when they said Sapp was a druggy and no good, Brooks was too small, and why are we spending a 2nd round pick on FB from Purdue.  You do your job and let Monte do his.

BUCky Badger

I agree and I'm don't mean to take anything away from Kiffin but it was Wyche that drafted Brooks and Sapp.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#14 : March 06, 2007, 10:04:03 AM

I think Gruden has more input on the defense than we give him credit for.  The recent trends of looking at larger D-lineman and DBs with more man skills look to me like a wholesale shift in defensive philosophy is coming.  It would not surprise me to see Monte "retire" in the near future, to be replaced by Coyer or someone else hand-picked by Gruden and we see this team shift away from the "Tampa-2" altogether.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Monte should retire. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools