Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Monte should retire. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#15 : March 06, 2007, 10:04:10 AM

Kiffin's only big mistakes may have been Franklin and Burns
I agree VIP. You don't even really have to blame them on Monte. It's unfortunate with all the good things Allen has done, that he let everyone's contract expire at the same time. Oversight I expect him to never repeat. I sensed a little bit of panic in those hirings last season. Maybe if we didn't have to replace so many people in 2 years time they could have taken their time and found the best guys. The only negative thing I can say about Monte is his age. We're lucky we got Morris back to succeeed him. We have had a lot of guys come through here, all rumored to take over for Monte, and now they are all gone. Like I said though, thank GOD we got Morris back.

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
#16 : March 06, 2007, 10:05:56 AM

LOL, good one, Itch.  Seriously I had a good laugh.  Hey you know what else?  Let's go ahead and fire Allen!  And while we're at it, let's run the Glazers out of town...they're ALL to blame for our suckiness!

vipmark

Starter
#17 : March 06, 2007, 10:08:11 AM

could'nt have said it better Abuccs

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#18 : March 06, 2007, 04:23:41 PM

It's official. Itch is absolutely off the wall & has lost whatever football acumen he had. The top 10 defense for 10 yrs & Monte's lost it? Where was our offense? Bottom 1/3, I think. Looney tunes! Explain yourself, RJ.
I did not say Monte has lost it.  I didn't say he is to blame for our suckiness.  I said after this year I don't think he'll be the right man for the job. 

He's been the right guy for the job in the past and present. He's been a great coach. But he's not the right guy for the future. He is too loyal to his veterans that have been with him for basically the whole way, and he won't be able to make the wholesale changes that will be needed if there is a new regime. He doesn't have a philosophy that meshes with the current regime when it comes to playing young players.   

Brooks may never know when to quit, and I'm not sure Monte is going to be the one to bench him or some of the other veterans.    If we have to do a wholesale rebuilding job on the defense I don't think Monte is the guy to do it.  He's too loyal to the old guard, and too set in his method of having guys learn by playing backup for five years.  As we see with White that didn't work for us. 

We complain about White not being that great, but he hasn't been a starter for that long.  How would he have developed if he had been able to get in there and take his lumps in his 2nd year?  He's good enough for Marinelli to give him the big money, but not even good enough to start for Kiffin if it wasn't for the injury.  Its just one player, but what if there are six or eight Whites or Ruuds who need to get in the game?

We will need to bring in a young coach to clean out the old vets and get in some young guns.  And Monte is not the guy to do it.

BucJam07

Hall of Famer

#19 : March 06, 2007, 04:29:45 PM

Your smoking crack. Put down the hashish and come back to reality. 'Nuff said.

You Can't Spell SCUM Without The

Buc Wylde

Hall of Famer

#20 : March 06, 2007, 04:33:05 PM

How old is Kiffin now?

I'm not at all saying I think he should call it a day, but he's no spring chicken. I could understand if he were not here past 2008. I'd thank him for the many years he gave us and wish him well with the rest of his life. He's only made a few mistakes, and no real blunders to speak of except for what ABuccs mentioned. Even then, his hands were tied a bit, so he went with familiar faces instead of revamping the entire staff all at once. He's done our team proud.

Quote from: Raheem Morris
We got to get better at doing something, and that is what we have to set our focus on and that is something to get better at. That\\\\\\\'s what we are trying to do right now.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#21 : March 06, 2007, 05:17:06 PM

I think Gruden has more input on the defense than we give him credit for. The recent trends of looking at larger D-lineman and DBs with more man skills look to me like a wholesale shift in defensive philosophy is coming. It would not surprise me to see Monte "retire" in the near future, to be replaced by Coyer or someone else hand-picked by Gruden and we see this team shift away from the "Tampa-2" altogether.
Can't discount this theory at all.  It is getting harder to find guys who fit the scheme.

UFBucgator

Practice Squad

#22 : March 06, 2007, 05:29:22 PM

So who do you geniuses want as d coordinator?  For my money I will take Monte until he decides he is ready to hang it up.

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#23 : March 06, 2007, 05:44:25 PM

I won't argue that Kiffin is just as loyal to his players as Gruden is to his coaches. Many people called for drafting Brooks' heir apparent in '05 and '06, but would that player have played ahead of Brooks? Does a high round CB start ahead of Barber or Kelly?

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#24 : March 06, 2007, 05:49:12 PM

The connection isn't there between the Gruden/Allen and Monte.  Whether its personality or philosophy or lack of communication.  To blame it on Gruden getting his fingers into the defense is ridiculous.  How would that work exactly?  Kiffin would quit before Gruden got three words out of his mouth. Kiffin has no need to stick around if its not fun anymore.  

They haven't spent a lot of picks on the defense, but the ones they have spent have had marginal success at best.  Well Kiffin is part of that selection process. He's in the war room. He's evaluating the talent and how it fits in his scheme.  But he's not directing the drafters to the right players evidently.  And can Kiffin be blamed for not getting his own picks into the game? Perhaps.  If the Bucs spend that precious 1st round pick on a defender, where is the assurance that he will get in the game?  They need to know that Okoye or Anderson is not going to sit on the bench for two years.

2006- Zemaitis 4 buried on the bench
2005-Ruud 2 starter by injury, Nicholson 5 buried no the bench
2004- Cooper 3 gone, Allen 4 horrible
2003- White 2 (McKay pick) gone

We should have gotten more results from those players.  Well somehow the players aren't getting from point A the draft to point B the starting lineup.  Isn't part of that Kiffins fault?   Whatever the cause, it isn't inspiring to the warroom to draft players when its not clear what their path to success is.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#25 : March 06, 2007, 05:55:37 PM

So who do you geniuses want as d coordinator?
A young guy with new energy who has the guts to cut the cord with veterans, play first or second year players, and work with the philosophy of the GM a little bit.

If Monte has the desire to shift gears, that would be great. I don't think he does.

UFBucgator

Practice Squad

#26 : March 06, 2007, 08:20:06 PM

Didn't we cut the cord with Sapp and Lynch?  Who do you want next?  Ronde?  Our front office has drafted one early round defensive line player in years and he was basically a turd who couldn't beat out Spires.  Booger played early.  Who else is there?  We went with Allen over Djack and that looks horrible.  Would you bench Quarles, who was playing at a very high level, to get Ruud on the field?  The object of the game is to win.  You do that with your most talented players regardless of age.  Monte was a genius and the architect of this defense one year ago when it was the best in football.  Now people are ready to write him off.  This may be the stupidest thread I have read in awhile.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#27 : March 06, 2007, 09:55:09 PM

McKay drafted the turd of which you speak.    Anyway having Lynch and Sapp back wouldn't change a thing.  There would just be more players to retire after this season. 

My point is not whether or not Kiffin should have benched old guys for the young guys in the past.  My point is that he will need to do it in the future, and I don't think he will do it. 

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#28 : March 06, 2007, 10:23:38 PM

Unless I am missing something and Itchalot enjoys wasting his time, this is a legit
question from him. So the ones who were noting the sarcasm, what is your
opinion on Itch's call for Monte to retire? It seems that the ones who thought
this was a sarcastic post would disagree with Itch. So let's hear it.

I want Monte to stay but he brings up valid points.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#29 : March 06, 2007, 11:47:18 PM

Ridiculous!  Kiffen's the best DC in the league.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Monte should retire. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools