Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I am offended by Tea Party comments... « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 6 7 8

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#105 : April 20, 2010, 12:22:32 PM

I suppose I don't get it. If Mr Appliance Store Owner's costs go up so do his prices. It has always been thus. It's called CDB.

I'm sure it would be nice if he could make maximum profit on every Toaster. That's not the way it is. Today, yesterday or tomorrow.  That's your dream world. Costs rise. Employees cost money, so do taxes, so does everything else and Mr Appliance Store Owners is the guy the bills go to. It's indeed sad that he may fail in his imaginary business but, again, that's the free market.

I thought many of you here supported that notion.

Good post.

Let me add the irony is that small businesses can not thrive if we have to be fair to big business as well.  Which is why small businesses in the U.S. suffer while big business in the U.S. flourishes. 

Please explain the "fairness" of a small business paying 35% income tax while GE pays ZERO?

There isn't a middle ground to this because the United States has made a choice of big business over small business while Canada they use a blunt method against big business such that small business can prosper.

The idea that the free markets can work long term when you have small business and big business playing in the same pool is an antiquated idea.

Edit:  There is nothing wrong with the United States choosing big business over small business as I believe big business increases the wealth, and prestige of the United States on an international scale.  I know Libertarians would disagree and argue small business provides more jobs, growth, and healthy competition.

Basically the only reason to start a small business in the United States is if you have hopes of expanding into a franchise.  Other than that why bang your head against the wall having a small business in the U.S. ?  The deck is purposefully stacked against small business for the reasons I explained above.

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

#106 : April 20, 2010, 12:42:32 PM

I suppose I don't get it. If Mr Appliance Store Owner's costs go up so do his prices. It has always been thus. It's called CDB.

I'm sure it would be nice if he could make maximum profit on every Toaster. That's not the way it is. Today, yesterday or tomorrow. That's your dream world. Costs rise. Employees cost money, so do taxes, so does everything else and Mr Appliance Store Owners is the guy the bills go to. It's indeed sad that he may fail in his imaginary business but, again, that's the free market.

I thought many of you here supported that notion.

Good post.

Let me add the irony is that small businesses can not thrive if we have to be fair to big business as well. Which is why small businesses in the U.S. suffer while big business in the U.S. flourishes.

Both his and your posts are very short sighted and narrow in scope.
his sentence right here is very telling of the current problem and can even include the major problem with the healthcare; "and Mr Appliance Store Owners is the guy the bills go to".

At some point Mr. Aplliance Store Owner can only pay so many bills, especially if everyone expects him to be the one to pay. Even if you pass the costs off to the consumer at some point the consumer will just have to eliminate your service or product because it has now become an unsustainable luxury. Same with healthcare, as long as there is some one else to pays the bills, government and insurance lobbiests will mandate more and consumers will consume more. After all, businesses can afford it, right.

As for the unfair advantages you speak of, as a small business owner I am glad they can receive incentives to bring another 1000 or more potential customers into my market. That is a major advantage to me. If you can't compete and market accordingly against large businesses then you are not working smart enough or hard enough. Large businesses, being larger always have their vulnerabilities as well as their advantages.

\"The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.\" -Cicero. 106-43 B.C.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#107 : April 20, 2010, 12:44:31 PM

The United States does not care about small business....most people have moved on and accepted this reality. 

The idea that United States encourages small business died two decades ago.  The same for a wage worker needing just one job.  Now wage workers have an average of 2-3 jobs which only exacerbates the situation for those looking for a job whom are currently unemployed.

Page: 1 ... 6 7 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I am offended by Tea Party comments... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools