Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BUCS TRADE UP TO PICK AT NO. 39 AND PICK WR ARRELIOUS BENN « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

Booker

Hall of Famer

#15 : April 23, 2010, 07:05:37 PM

A LOT of initial burst by the looks of it.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#16 : April 23, 2010, 07:05:57 PM

Good write up....

Name: Arrelious Benn

Hometown: Washington, D.C.

Height: 6'2''

Weight: 220 lbs.

40 Time: 4.45 according to Rivals

Strengths: Prototype size, plays angry and aggressive, strong hands, talented route runner who can make quick cuts, fantastic YAC ability, can run the end-around, can catch balls over the middle.

Weaknesses: Limited statistical production, lacks top notch straight-line speed.

Comparisons: Andre Johnson, Terrell Owens

Star-divide

Discussion: Shocked everyone by going to Champaign-Urbana. Broke out just like everyone expected, running deep routes effectively and occasionally stopping to eat a defensive back alive, literally. He ate another human being. Poor 180 lb. DB never felt a thing. Everyone who has matched up against Benn will no doubt mention that tackling Benn is really not fun because 1) he wants to run you over and 2) he has the physical tools to do so.

Benn sports a positive attitude and hasn't engaged in the **CENSORED**ing and moaning that players disappointed with how their collegiate career went tend to engage in (at least he hasn't done this publicly). His production, which of course has been hamstrung by Juice Williams and Zook's lack of offensive cohesion, will hurt him in the draft because GM's don't like explaining to fans that they're choosing an underperforming wide receiver with no accolades from a 3-9 team.

The NFL game is changing - lanky, slower receivers with great hands are being replaced with Wes Welker-ish prototypes. Smash routes and wide receiver blocking are becoming the hot thing, popularized by the Patriots and Colts. What kinds of traits do you want for your new-style wide receiver? Aggressive, scrappy, do-everything...The exact characteristics that Benn brings to the table.

NFL Draft Probability: #2 WR Overall.

Most Mockers have him picked somewhere in the low first round to early in the second round. Here he is at the 21st pick going to the Bengals. This site lists him as the 2nd best wide receiver in the Draft and has him going 29th to the Jets, behind Dez Bryant. Mocking the Draft has Benn as the 5th best overall WR. And here's another mock with Benn as the 35th pick.

source: http://www.rivalryesq.com/2010/1/20/1262005/2010-nfl-draft-profiles-arrelious

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#17 : April 23, 2010, 07:06:27 PM

Not a fan of the pick, but what's done is done. Hopefully his issues are due to Juice Williams and nothing more. I'll welcome him as a Buc and hope he proves me wrong like Freeman did last year.

I will say that IF he hits his max potential, he'll be a top NFL WR. He's got the size and speed of guys like Owens and Fitzgerald.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#18 : April 23, 2010, 07:08:02 PM

Give me Shipley in the 4th and I'll be happy.

Booker

Hall of Famer

#19 : April 23, 2010, 07:08:08 PM

He runs great routes, is physical, and pretty darn good initial burst. Like the pick a lot. Reminds me of Boldin or Andre.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#20 : April 23, 2010, 07:09:01 PM

LOOOOOOVE this pick! Gerald McCoy, Brian Price, and Arrelious Benn? 3 1st round caliber players?

I must be dreaming.
Great draft so far...and if one of the DTs goes down, or gets banged up...DEPTH is not an issue.

Keep Hovan, he is a leader of men.

Ditch Dre Moore.  His stinks.  And with all these guys coming in, he knows his day has come.  Sims?  Do the Bucs suit up 5 DTs?

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#21 : April 23, 2010, 07:09:34 PM

Now they we got Benn, if we take another receiver then it should be Shipley. I would piss myself from over excitement.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#22 : April 23, 2010, 07:09:42 PM

Walter football compares him to Anquan Boldin.  If he's even half as productive, he'll be worth a 2nd and a 5th.  He's reportedly a high character, hard working guy, too.  That's what we need.

Caveat Emperor

Pro Bowler

#23 : April 23, 2010, 07:11:19 PM

Walter football compares him to Anquan Boldin.  If he's even half as productive, he'll be worth a 2nd and a 5th.  He's reportedly a high character, hard working guy, too.  That's what we need.

If you suffer through Juice Williams as your QB without becoming a team cancer, you're officially a high-character guy.

Juice Williams is the kind of awful that most people on here can only dream of at the QB position.

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#24 : April 23, 2010, 07:12:14 PM

Walter football compares him to Anquan Boldin. �If he's even half as productive, he'll be worth a 2nd and a 5th. �He's reportedly a high character, hard working guy, too. �That's what we need.

If you suffer through Juice Williams as your QB without becoming a team cancer, you're officially a high-character guy.

Juice Williams is the kind of awful that most people on here can only dream of at the QB position.

+1000000000 on this.

Caveat Emperor

Pro Bowler

#25 : April 23, 2010, 07:13:37 PM

Put this in perspective -- most people on here wanted Williams out of SYR. That dude straight QUIT on his team, and as bad as Greg Paulus was he was still a better passer than Juice Williams last year.

Madman

Hall of Famer

#26 : April 23, 2010, 07:14:40 PM

Walter football compares him to Anquan Boldin.  If he's even half as productive, he'll be worth a 2nd and a 5th.  

Would've rather had BMarsh for two 2s but glad they got Benn.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#27 : April 23, 2010, 07:21:23 PM

Here's more about him. I've read elsewhere his 40 ranges from 4.36 to 4.46.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profiles/arrelious-benn?id=497270#tabs:tab-analysis

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#28 : April 23, 2010, 07:23:37 PM

Unless there's a big run on WR, it looks like there may be some good ones that drop; Tate, D. Williams, E. Decker, T. Price, M. Williams, Shipley, R. Cooper, C. Mitchell, J. Ford, D. Briscoe, M. Gilyard, B. LaFell, A. Roberts. We should be able to get a good one in the 3rd-4th if they want to find a #2 WR.  I have to believe that Tate and D. Williams would have to be considered the BPA if somehow they made it to the end of the 2nd.

BUCFAN60

Starter

#29 : April 23, 2010, 07:24:55 PM

I keep watching film on tate and still don't know why he is still there I would LOVE to have this kid he knows what to do with the ball when he catches it
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BUCS TRADE UP TO PICK AT NO. 39 AND PICK WR ARRELIOUS BENN « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools