Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: IN THE FOURTH ROUND WITH THE 101ST SELECTION THE BUCS PICK WR MIKE WILLIAMS « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#30 : April 24, 2010, 10:29:47 AM

why did he fall?

head case
Not really.

He broke curfew, and he cheated on his tests.

He isn't a T.O., or a Brandon Marshall type.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#31 : April 24, 2010, 10:29:51 AM

so much for character, but this guy can be a monster. � Made the Bulls secondary look like they were standing still last season
There's a difference between being a criminal and/or drug user and not being smart enough academically to make it in college.

character is character ... he quit on his team rather than get his act together, but I like the pick over all so I'm not debating with you

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#32 : April 24, 2010, 10:30:30 AM

Really does anyone see an upside difference between Benn and Williams?
No. Both have the upside to be legit #1s.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

LABuc

Starter

#33 : April 24, 2010, 10:30:49 AM

so much for character, but this guy can be a monster. � Made the Bulls secondary look like they were standing still last season
There's a difference between being a criminal and/or drug user and not being smart enough academically to make it in college.
Agreed.... He aint the one making the play calls.... So throw his academics out the window... he's got talent and if he can stay away from your strip clubs in Tampa.... He'll be a steal.

Derrick Brooks, NFL Hall of Fame Class of 2014.

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

#34 : April 24, 2010, 10:30:56 AM

Good pick :)

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#35 : April 24, 2010, 10:31:38 AM

Trade Clayton for a 5th as soon as possible!

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#36 : April 24, 2010, 10:32:05 AM

Compares to:Antonio Bryant

I like that.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#37 : April 24, 2010, 10:32:14 AM

Really does anyone see an upside difference between Benn and Williams?

Williams can catch the football. 8)

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#38 : April 24, 2010, 10:32:31 AM

Not really.

No the he quit the team thing is what hurt him, the other stuff is small enough it would not have mattered much but quitting just ain't right.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

#39 : April 24, 2010, 10:32:41 AM

He quit because he was going to be suspended again...

Williams auditions for NFL

Six scouts watch Riverside High product

By Mark Gaughan
NEWS SPORTS REPORTER
Updated: April 06, 2010, 8:34 am / 2 comments

Buffalo's Mike Williams looked like he helped his prospects in the NFL Draft Monday with an impressive workout at the Thurman Thomas Training Center in Elma.

Williams improved on most of his numbers from the NFL Combine workouts six weeks ago and looked good in receiving drills.

The former Syracuse receiver is regarded by many scouts as a second-round talent. The question is whether getting kicked off the Orange team after seven games last fall will cause him to drop lower than the first 64 picks when the draft is held April 22-24.

"I made some mistakes. I've got to learn from my mistakes and make up for it," Williams said after his 60-minute workout.

Representatives of six NFL teams attended the workout: Buffalo, Baltimore, Cleveland, Green Bay, Tampa Bay and San Diego. Williams has visited Miami, Baltimore, Tampa, San Diego and Cleveland and has five more visits scheduled.

"I've just tried to let all of them know that I can do this," Williams said. "This is what I do. I love football. If I don't go in the first round, I'm going to be the steal of the draft. I tell people that: it don't matter where I go, I'll be the steal of the draft. I'm going to be a good character guy and love my teammates."

Some NFL scouts compare Williams' on-field ability to that of Brandon Marshall, Denver's two-time Pro Bowler. Williams has size (6-foot-2, 221 pounds), good hands and explosiveness. He ran a 40-yard dash times of 4.53 and 4.55 seconds, based on two different scouts' watches. He ran 4.53 at the combine, good for such a big wideout. Williams ran a short-shuttle of 4.17 or 4.21 seconds (depending on the stopwatch), which would have been seventh-best at the combine (where he did 4.31). His vertical jump improved from 33.5 to 36.5 inches. His broad jump improved 2 inches to 9 feet, 10 inches.

Williams, a Riverside High graduate, caught 133 passes for 2,044 yards and 20 TDs in 31 games for Syracuse. He was forced to sit out the entire 2008 season because he was caught cheating on an exam. Williams spent a year at a junior college and got three B grades required for re-admission to Syracuse.

He had 49 catches in seven games last season but then was dismissed from the team by first-year coach Doug Marrone.

"Anybody who thinks Mike has character issues is nuts," said Riverside coach Tony Truilizio. "I had a very extensive conversation with coach Marrone from Syracuse, and I talked to Mike. It was clearly a communication problem on both parts. But to say Mike has character issues or is a quitter is foolish."

"If you look at the paperwork previous to the academic issue, my understanding is he had the most hours in the tutoring program. Afterward when he was sent home and sent to junior college he maintained his grade point average and fought his way back on the team. After he got back to Syracuse, he still maintained a pretty high standard, to give Syracuse credit where it's due. They're about academics first."

"He showcased himself as one of the elite receivers in the draft," said Williams' Atlanta- based agent, Hadley Engelard.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#40 : April 24, 2010, 10:33:05 AM

Sure and while you are at it find a Leprechaun and steal his pot o' gold.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Incognito

Hall of Famer

#41 : April 24, 2010, 10:33:09 AM

Nobody is stupid enough to take that trade.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#42 : April 24, 2010, 10:35:06 AM

He's got some character issues, there's no doubt about that. Hopefully he learns from Benn's work ethic and realizes that that's the reason he'll be making more money to start his career. Hopefully Winslow, who used to have maturity issues, will mentor him.

If so, he might be the best WR in this entire draft. When he's on, he can't be stopped. The Bulls had a solid secondary and he shredded it to pieces.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#43 : April 24, 2010, 10:35:26 AM

why did he fall?

head case
Not really.

head case could be a little strong, but there are off field and character concerns

burr

Second String

#44 : April 24, 2010, 10:36:10 AM

Best draft I've seen in years for the Bucs org. This is amazing! McCoy + Price + Benn + Lewis (meh) + M. Williams.

Very good draft, expect the third rounder I don't care much for.

Burr
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: IN THE FOURTH ROUND WITH THE 101ST SELECTION THE BUCS PICK WR MIKE WILLIAMS « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools