Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Steve White: Brian Price selection makes no sense at all « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 8

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

: April 26, 2010, 10:32:59 AM

The 2nd round selection of Brian Price just doesn't make any sense to me at all. I know that the media is reporting that the Bucs are saying they planned to take him all along to pair him with Gerald McCoy but I just don't believe it. OF COURSE the Bucs are going to say they planned it from the beginning lest they look incompetent, but I believe that Price just happened to be the highest guy on their board so they took him instead of stretching for need. Now in another year, in another situation, that would be perfectly fine and preferred in fact. But you can't draft best available when your team has as many needs as ours does. By taking Price with our first pick in the 2nd round the Bucs made an on the field error in addition to a draft strategy error. Lets talk about each.

First we will start off with the on the field implications. GM Mark Dominik explained why they took Price in addition to McCoy this way:

Dominik said the idea of drafting both McCoy and Price and teaming them with Miller in a three-man rotation was something he envisioned while preparing for the draft.

"We want to get back to what we did in the past," he said. "We've had a lot of success here over the years rotating our defensive lineman and (beating) the heat that way."

Here's the thing, I am sure Brian Price CAN play nosetackle, BUT he is much better suited to be an undertackle (3 technique). Make no mistake about it, I have been very high on Price, and in my own alternate universe we chose Eric Berry with the 3rd pick in the first round then we selected Brian Price to be our 3 technique. So my question is why would you get a guy that high who is pretty much the same player that you took in the first round if all you are going to do is make him take on double teams most of the day on Sundays? Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should and having Price at nosetackle will be wasting his pass rush ability on early downs. Sure he might be able to rush out of a 3 technique on 3rd downs but that's just a maybe. And lets get one thing straight, Price WILL be our starting nose tackle. Remember we had to hit homeruns this year with the draft or people are going to have to walk the plank no matter what. So what does that mean for Roy Miller?

I suppose that maybe the Bucs aren't as high on Miller as they once were but lets not forget that he himself was a 3rd round pick just last year. And besides that nothing that the Bucs have said publicly this off season to this point would give anyone reason to believe that Miller was disappointing them. That is until they drafted a guy in the 2nd round to take his job. Does this mean that Miller will now be labeled a bust? I guess only time will tell.

My biggest question is this. How exactly is this "rotation" supposed to work? Last year Chris Hovan and Ryan Sims started and then Miller would spell each of them in the rotation. It was relatively simple because we played left and right defensive tackles last season rather than an undertackle and nosetackle that flip sides according to the call and the offensive formation. So now when Miller comes in to spell Price I would assume that he would be at nose and McCoy would stay at 3 technique. But what happens when Miller spells McCoy? Does Price then go to undertackle and Miller strictly plays nose? Or will Miller play 3 technique so Price can continue to develop as a nosetackle?

This may seem like a trivial line of questioning but it absolutely is not. Depending upon how the rotation goes Price may actually get some time in at undertackle where he can utilize his pass rushing skills more or he may be relegated to strictly playing nosetackle. And I am of mixed emotions about the former. I mean I want us to have the most dominant pass rush possible at all times, but with nose tackle being a new position for Price and one of the hardest positions technique and blocking scheme recongnition wise for guys to adapt to, do we really want Price to be playing anything but the position he starts at? My fear is that we end up with 3 pretty good undertackles and 2 **CENSORED**ty to average nosetackles. As I have said before, our nosetackle position is a big factor in stopping the run. If we don't get consistently good play there, we won't have to worry about our pass rush because teams will just run it down our damn throats.....again.

There is one last thing that I feel compelled to point out. What happens if it turns out that Price is a better pass rusher than McCoy, at least initially? It may just be that Price picks up the pro game quicker than McCoy and starts off stronger in terms of getting pressure on the quarterback. How long would the Bucs resist the temptation to then either move McCoy over to nose or bench him altogether? Well I would say benching him is not an option, but still there is that possibility. Probably a bigger possibility than most think.

The other thing about picking Price at 35 is that it showed poor draft strategy in my opinion. I know hindsight is always 20/20 but I again feel the need to remind the reader how much the Buccaneers themselves hyped up this draft and promised fans that even though they weren't signing many free agents, the draft picks would more than make up for that. I admit that I wasn't sure that Price would fall all the way to the 2nd round but look at the teams picking behind us at #35.

(36) Chiefs
(37) Eagles
(38) Browns
(39) Raiders
(40) Dolphins
(41) Bills

Notice anything? All but one of those teams who chose between our pick at #35 and our pick at #42 run a 3-4 scheme which isn't really much of a fit for Brian Price.

P.S. When we won the Superbowl we had a stacked secondary with John Lynch, Dexter Jackson, Dwight Smith, Ronde Barber, and Brian Kelly making big time contributions.

Our starting nosetackle on the other hand was Chuck Darby.

Just sayin.... 

http://passingonthegame.blogspot.com/2010/04/breaking-down-bucs-draft.html

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#1 : April 26, 2010, 10:36:53 AM

Wrong.  The worse you are the more important it is to take BPA (other than a QB) in the early rounds.  You need as many impact players as you can get.  Now whether Price or McCoy for that matter end up being impact players is anyone's guess.  But taking BPA at 35 is the right move.

wcbucfan

Rookie

#2 : April 26, 2010, 10:37:42 AM

It makes alot of sense. If anyone has any question about it, watch Sims and Hovan in the 2009 season. No excuses.

'Stud' Stroughter

Canes!

Clayton sucks!

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#3 : April 26, 2010, 10:39:50 AM

We also had Warren Sapp in that Super Bowl year, which he conveniently left out.   What did Dwight Smith, Brian Kelly or Dexter Jackson do when they left Tampa?   

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#4 : April 26, 2010, 10:40:27 AM

Wrong.� The worse you are the more important it is to take BPA (other than a QB) in the early rounds.� You need as many impact players as you can get.� Now whether Price or McCoy for that matter end up being impact players is anyone's guess.� But taking BPA at 35 is the right move.
Steve White is a moron.

And I have to say based on his skill set Price is perfect for our NT position. IMO he is a better fit at NT, and could play UT if needed. IMO you take the BPA, you can't fill every need in every draft, it takes time. Right now though it looks as if we have solved our 2 biggest issues last year.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#5 : April 26, 2010, 10:40:56 AM

Wrong.  The worse you are the more important it is to take BPA (other than a QB) in the early rounds.  You need as many impact players as you can get.  Now whether Price or McCoy for that matter end up being impact players is anyone's guess.  But taking BPA at 35 is the right move.

I think White is critical about the strategy. We could have either traded the pick and moved down a few slots or drafted Benn at 35 and it would have been very likely that Price would be there at 42 because all but one of the teams that draft from 36 to 41 use the 3-4 which Price would not be ideal for. That way we could have kept our 5th rounder.

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#6 : April 26, 2010, 10:41:05 AM

We also had Warren Sapp in that Super Bowl year, which he conveniently left out.   What did Dwight Smith, Brian Kelly or Dexter Jackson do when they left Tampa?  
QFT.

Also Chuck Darby may have started in that SB, but our DL was best with Booger and Sapp.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#7 : April 26, 2010, 10:41:31 AM

I don't know about solved, but we definitely addressed two of our bigger needs with impact type players.

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#8 : April 26, 2010, 10:41:59 AM

Wrong. �The worse you are the more important it is to take BPA (other than a QB) in the early rounds. �You need as many impact players as you can get. �Now whether Price or McCoy for that matter end up being impact players is anyone's guess. �But taking BPA at 35 is the right move.

I think White is critical about the strategy. We could have either traded the pick and moved down a few slots or drafted Benn at 35 and it would have been very likely that Price would be there at 42 because all but one of the teams that draft from 36 to 41 use the 3-4 which Price would not be ideal for.
Again, for the 500th time about trading up and down. If we trade down, yes it looks like they wouldn't take him, but someone very well may have traded up and grabbed him.

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#9 : April 26, 2010, 10:42:29 AM

I don't know about solved, but we definitely addressed two of our bigger needs with impact type players.
True, we won't know if it is solved until they produce, but on paper... looks good.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#10 : April 26, 2010, 10:42:43 AM

Wrong.  The worse you are the more important it is to take BPA (other than a QB) in the early rounds.  You need as many impact players as you can get.  Now whether Price or McCoy for that matter end up being impact players is anyone's guess.  But taking BPA at 35 is the right move.

I think White is critical about the strategy. We could have either traded the pick and moved down a few slots or drafted Benn at 35 and it would have been very likely that Price would be there at 42 because all but one of the teams that draft from 36 to 41 use the 3-4 which Price would not be ideal for. That way we could have kept our 5th rounder.

and benn was still there are 39.  If Price was BPA, then it was the right move and most people seem to think he was.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#11 : April 26, 2010, 10:42:53 AM

Wrong. �The worse you are the more important it is to take BPA (other than a QB) in the early rounds. �You need as many impact players as you can get. �Now whether Price or McCoy for that matter end up being impact players is anyone's guess. �But taking BPA at 35 is the right move.

I think White is critical about the strategy. We could have either traded the pick and moved down a few slots or drafted Benn at 35 and it would have been very likely that Price would be there at 42 because all but one of the teams that draft from 36 to 41 use the 3-4 which Price would not be ideal for.

Yeah but trades were running wild and there's a very good chance another team would/could have traded up for him

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#12 : April 26, 2010, 10:43:20 AM

Again, for the 500th time about trading up and down. If we trade down, yes it looks like they wouldn't take him, but someone very well may have traded up and grabbed him.

and someone has to want to trade up

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#13 : April 26, 2010, 10:44:15 AM

Most defenses face about 1000 snaps over the course of a season. If you're lined up in a 4-3 the entire time, that's 2000 snaps for your DT's. Only 4 DT's last year played more than 800 snaps. There's plenty of playing time to go around.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#14 : April 26, 2010, 10:45:10 AM

and someone has to want to trade up
That too.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Steve White: Brian Price selection makes no sense at all « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools