Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: PFT.com's latest on Jake « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

whobdis

Pro Bowler

« #30 : March 07, 2007, 11:31:54 AM »

A few months ago many would think the top available FA qb's would be Simms, Garcia, Plummer and Carr.
Just about any movement to obtain any of them now have to deal with the Bucs.  This is a rather shrewd move
imo by Bruce..I don't think you see it that much in the NFL (but frequently in business). Whether it helps us
win ball games we'll have to see..but regardless of how you feel about any of the qb's it's interesting to watch.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

« #31 : March 07, 2007, 11:43:19 AM »

A few months ago many would think the top available FA qb's would be Simms, Garcia, Plummer and Carr.
Just about any movement to obtain any of them now have to deal with the Bucs.  This is a rather shrewd move
imo by Bruce..I don't think you see it that much in the NFL (but frequently in business). Whether it helps us
win ball games we'll have to see..but regardless of how you feel about any of the qb's it's interesting to watch.

I think one of the reasons the much of the media is acting so strangely about this deal is that it doesn't happen often in the NFL (probably because the cap makes it so difficult). But I don't think it looks as unusual for followers of European soccer.

Mohawkbucs

Starter

« #32 : March 07, 2007, 11:46:39 AM »

tell em to give us Andre Johnson and we will call it even :)

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

« #33 : March 07, 2007, 11:47:05 AM »

Someone posted this same PFT piece on the insider board and asked what Houston has that we would want. I wouldn't mind this scenario.

If it got to our pick and Thomas was gone, and Calvin Johnson was still on the board, I'd Take Carr and Andre Johnson for Plummer and switching 1st rounders. Then we get a good WR in his prime. A possible franchise QB, then take Okoye at Houston's spot.

quezilla

Hall of Famer
« #34 : March 07, 2007, 11:51:33 AM »

"A source with knowledge of the situation"  -  PFT got it from Duemig yesterday afternoon, and Duemig was citeing the same "source with knowledge"

Who does Duemig know?
a) SR - he basically repeated everything from the insider article
b) DB- they are friends
c) Alstott- they are friends

my guess is a, as the players probably don't get caught up in the business, and if they did they wouldn't be able to tell Duemig the details spot on like SR.

just a guess...

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

« #35 : March 07, 2007, 11:58:20 AM »

I'd be happier with Carr then Plummer, i'd even prefer to start Carr over Garcia

FsuBucs1

Practice Squad

« #36 : March 07, 2007, 11:59:50 AM »

Plummer goes to Hou, Carr to Oak, Bucs swap 1st rds with Oak and get Oak 3rd rd.
Bucs draft C.J. #1 and pick up a 3rd rd (inexchange for the 4th rd we spent on Plummer)
I like the deal, Lock up C.J. to Tampa.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #37 : March 07, 2007, 12:02:26 PM »

I'd be happier with Carr then Plummer, i'd even prefer to start Carr over Garcia

This borders on insanity.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

« #38 : March 07, 2007, 12:02:59 PM »

I perfer a draft pick for Plummer than a Carr. We could help out our D a little by getting a 3rd rounder check it
1. Calvin Johnson
2. Brandon Merriweather
2. Tim Crowder
3. Brandon Siler
3. Marcus Thomas

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

« #39 : March 07, 2007, 12:04:41 PM »

I perfer a draft pick for Plummer than a Carr. We could help out our D a little by getting a 3rd rounder check it
1. Calvin Johnson
2. Brandon Merriweather
2. Tim Crowder
3. Brandon Siler
3. Marcus Thomas

If we can get a 3rd rounder for Plummer, it will be a nice bit of work from Bruce.

sma2680

Practice Squad

« #40 : March 07, 2007, 12:05:12 PM »

POSTED 9:03 a.m. EST, March 7, 2007

PLUMMER BLUFFING ABOUT RETIRING

A source with knowledge of the situation tells us that quarterback Jake Plummer does not intend to retire, and that he is (as suspected) trying to get to Houston, where he would be reunited with former Broncos offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak.

Plummer's desire to play for the Texans would help explain the failure of the team, in the wake of his supposed retirement, to hit the market and sign a veteran quarterback, since it's widely believed that David Carr is finished there.

Some league insiders believe that, in the end, Houston will acquire his rights, presumably via a trade with the Buccaneers.

And hopefully, it'll be for Carr.... under a restructured contract, of course.

If we do trade Plummer to the Texans I would hope it would be for draft picks and not for another QB.  Carr is not good, and with Garcia here with the current stable of QBs, why would we want to waste more money on that position?

I am pretty sure the team can still go after and recoup signing bonus if a player holds out.  Of course, they don't have to pay a hold out salary.  The quote from your first post regarding the new CBA is that with new cap space for all teams and the inflated salaries mediocre players have gotten may cause established players who now are making less than market value to hold out in attempts to get a new deal. 

Pretty much a rule of thumb re: going after a player's bonus - if the player chooses not to play...the team usually can go after paid bonus money b/c he isn't performing his obligations under the contract.
They are but the point is that teams can't recover lost money due to holdouts. This brings back up my plan whihc is Jake reports, costs us $5.3m in cap room and holds out. The answer to that plan was we'll just steal his signing bonus back and make a ton of jack but if you can't recover bonus money under the new CBA can we still do that?

Shag

Pro Bowler

« #41 : March 07, 2007, 12:05:49 PM »

Plummer goes to Hou, Carr to Oak, Bucs swap 1st rds with Oak and get Oak 3rd rd.
Bucs draft C.J. #1 and pick up a 3rd rd (inexchange for the 4th rd we spent on Plummer)
I like the deal, Lock up C.J. to Tampa.

That makes Plummer worth a 1st and 2nd rounder. Not likely.

« #42 : March 07, 2007, 12:06:06 PM »

I could see the argument for a pick or Carr, but I think the pick will benefit the defense in the long run

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #43 : March 07, 2007, 12:06:42 PM »

By the way, Dalbuc says that Jake was our fist choice. Not according to Bruce. If I recall correctly,
he said at 12:01am, they were on the phone to Garcia's agent, only to find out that Garcia
was already in the Bay area and about to talk to Oakland. It's then that they looked into
Plummer. Anybody else remember that?

Then, once Garcia left Oakland in the dust, we signed him and then went after Plummer.

We didn't get burned. We did our research. And Bruce Allen isn't a small man. Isn't
he 6 foot? At least that's how I see it. The Jake will retire rumors had already surfaced
by the time we made the deal. He talked about it earlier in the season.

sma2680

Practice Squad

« #44 : March 07, 2007, 12:07:03 PM »

FYI I screwed up that second quote in my last post, I have text I wrote in there, and the quote is missing. 
  Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: PFT.com's latest on Jake « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools