Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Another offseason topic... « previous next »
Page: 1 2

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

: October 20, 2006, 05:10:57 PM

Didn't Rufus just get arrested for something?

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 20, 2006, 05:16:59 PM

For the record.......freeney will be franchised at the least....................Frank Okam, no thanks......Laron Landry in the first (top 10), no shot.........

Baghead #2

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#2 : October 20, 2006, 03:51:20 PM

Are you serious?

psymun

Starter
#3 : October 20, 2006, 03:12:06 PM

First things first, why do people want Lance Briggs so bad? Sure, we need someone to replace Brooks, but we have far bigger needs at safety, and possibly DT, and CB... And Lance Briggs does NOT have the speed and athleticism you need to play on this defense.

Anyway...

Free Agency:

Mike Gandy - This move would bolster our offensive line

Brett Favre, Mark Brunell, Jeff Garcia anyone else - Basically... Bring in a veteran backup at QB. Whether we go with Gradkowski or Simms, we should have an old guy for them to look to on the sidelines...

Draft: I have 3 scenarios here...

1. DT Quin Pit**CENSORED** Ohio State - He has shown this year that he can stop the run AND rush the passer...
2. SS Eric Weddle Utah
2. Rufus Alexander Oklahoma
3. OC Dan Mozes West Virginia

1. FS LaRon Landry LSU
2. DT Brandon Mebane California
2. Rufus Alexander Oklahoma
3. OC Dan Mozes West Virginia

This one is best case...

Trade Down, Trade Brian Kelly

1. Rufus Alexander   LB 6-1 230 4.60 Oklahoma
2. Eric Weddle   SS 6-0 200 4.50 Utah
2. Brandon Mebane   DT 6-3 295 4.85 California
2. Daymeion HughesCB 6-2 185 4.55 California -Will fall due to lack of speed
3. Ryan Kalil   OC 6-3 285 0.00 USC
4. Brian Leonard   FB 6-2 235 4.60 Rutgers
5. Johnnie Higgins   WR 6-0 180 4.35 U.T.E.P.
7. Ryan Harris    OT 6-5 292 0.00 Notre Dame

psymun

Starter
#4 : November 01, 2006, 09:51:21 AM

You seriously don't think we'll have a top 10 pick

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#5 : November 01, 2006, 09:56:29 AM

That's the way it's looking.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#6 : November 01, 2006, 11:22:46 AM

If the season ended today, we'd be picking #12.  Unfortunately our strength of schedule works against us in W/L tie situations.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#7 : November 01, 2006, 11:26:02 AM

We're going to be lucky to stay out of the top 5.  We were 5-11 when we picked 5th, and our schedule wasn't nearly as tough as this season. 

Mohawkbucs

Starter

#8 : November 01, 2006, 11:29:02 AM

i like the pick of Weddle, imo he is the best safety available, just what the bucs need, a cover safety that wants to be a leader, can cause turnovers, knows how to win, has played like 5 + different positions but excels at safety, and he has even stated he doesnt mind playing CB or Safety, so we could slide him into the nickel at times, and put him at safety the rest of the time

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#9 : November 01, 2006, 11:29:36 AM

What makes you think that the possible addition of Briggs somehow negates any other addition at safety or CB?  I'll let you in on a little secret.  You can sign/draft more than one guy in the offseason.

psymun

Starter
#10 : November 01, 2006, 11:33:09 AM

I don't think I put that clearly enough. Briggs wouldn't be a big enough upgrade over what we already have to be worth the money that he may demand. Signing  Briggs wouldn't solve ANY of our problems...

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#11 : November 01, 2006, 11:38:09 AM

I don't think I put that clearly enough. Briggs wouldn't be a big enough upgrade over what we already have to be worth the money that he may demand. Signing Briggs wouldn't solve ANY of our problems...

I'll just have to disagree there.  Briggs would be a HUGE upgrade.  He's got more tackles then Urlacher, and a whole lot more solo tackles than him.  He's got 3.5 tackles for a loss and a sack.  He's playing in a very similar defense to the one we play as well.  It looks to be a perfect match to me.

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#12 : November 01, 2006, 11:43:18 AM

How can you say that Briggs doesn't fit our style of D?  Chicago plays a similar D since their head coach was a D coach for the Bucs.  He would fit our system very well and be able to step in and play right away.  However, the more I have looked at the draft I think we could get a stuf LB/LB's in the draft.  I think that we need two LB's this offseason.  We need a WLB and SLB, I would like to see Winborn get onto the field this season to see if he can replace Brooks.  Maybe in that case we can play Winborn next season and slide Brooks to SLB while the rookie learns the D.

I think that a lot of early picks could help the D a long with a FA or two.  We can get a S in the first few rounds, trade Kelly and bring in Clements.  Drafting a DT early is also a must even if Whyms plays good because he would at least give solid backup.  I would also like to see us get rid of Rice and sign White long term.  This guy is a playmaker and then we could draft a DE in the mid round to learn behind White and Spires.

These are just my opinions though.

#13 : November 01, 2006, 11:51:41 AM

How does Briggs not fit our defense, but hes playing in the same defense in Chicago that is #1 in the league? Briggs is plenty fast enough, hes a great athlete with great size and a very good tackler. He brings a physical presence to his defense.

I wouldnt mind drafting BUster Davis in round 1 either. Definitely would take Davis over Landry. Why take a safety in the top 15, especially when hes not the best in the country? Brandon Meriweather is the best in the country and if you are going to risk taking a safety in rund 1 he would be the type you take the risk for. No one talks about Meriweather but he has been the best safety in the countryfor 2 years, I think he was even better than Michael Huff last year

I dont like your draft ideas, and nobody is trading a 2nd round pick for Kelly

psymun

Starter
#14 : November 01, 2006, 03:09:27 PM

Lance Briggs won't help... we don't have a Brian Urlacher... teams run away from Urlacher and into Brigg's arms... Am I seriously the only one that sees that? That is exactly how this defense is designed... to push the runner out wide... paticularly to the weakside. At that point, Briggs gets tons of funnell shots... watch the Bears games... he gets tons of easy tackles because the ball carrier goes right into his arms... We need a linebacker that can really disrupt an offense, much like Derrick Brooks use to. I hate to say it, D.Brooks is only an above average linebacker of late, as is Lance Briggs. Briggs benefits from the system, and supporting cast. Unfortunately, Brooks is our best linebacker, but he's not playing the way he use to.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Another offseason topic... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools