Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Preston Parker « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#15 : May 04, 2010, 06:38:43 PM

Why the hell not? Its not like we have such great veteran presence. Mark Bradley? Reggie Brown? Clayton? Stovall?

Come on dude for real. Ill take ballers who can produce in the long run over veteran turd presence that adds nothing to our team but a few catches.

You are rebuilding you dont let guys with potential slip away.

because rookie WR's are a QB's enemy.  they dont know the plays, run the wrong routes, tip their routes, are usually not great blockers, and drop passes.  its great to work in a very talented rookie...but relying on 2 or 3 rookies isnt a recipe for success imo.  its a recipe for INT's with a very green QB.

as for parkers potential...it wasnt realized at fsu nor north alabama.  him having immediate success at the pro level is very unlikely.  i do think he has serious talent...if his head could ever get straight.

and why do you call stovall, bradley, and brown turd presences?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#16 : May 04, 2010, 08:31:59 PM

Why the hell not? Its not like we have such great veteran presence. Mark Bradley? Reggie Brown? Clayton? Stovall?

Come on dude for real. Ill take ballers who can produce in the long run over veteran turd presence that adds nothing to our team but a few catches.

You are rebuilding you dont let guys with potential slip away.

because rookie WR's are a QB's enemy.  they dont know the plays, run the wrong routes, tip their routes, are usually not great blockers, and drop passes.  its great to work in a very talented rookie...but relying on 2 or 3 rookies isnt a recipe for success imo.  its a recipe for INT's with a very green QB.

as for parkers potential...it wasnt realized at fsu nor north alabama.  him having immediate success at the pro level is very unlikely.  i do think he has serious talent...if his head could ever get straight.

and why do you call stovall, bradley, and brown turd presences?

Stovall and Brown don't scare anyone and Bradley is an unknown quantity. At least 3 rookies and a 2nd year player have the potential to be good, or even great. Freeman just might consider it as the better option since he is also starting his first full season.

Diehart fisherman

Starter

#17 : May 04, 2010, 08:36:16 PM

Preston Parker look good running the ball. Let's see if he can make it as a RB.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#18 : May 04, 2010, 08:58:36 PM

Stovall and Brown don't scare anyone and Bradley is an unknown quantity. At least 3 rookies and a 2nd year player have the potential to be good, or even great. Freeman just might consider it as the better option since he is also starting his first full season.

but benn, williams, and parker scare people?  potential is great, but when potential is causing INT's (and it will) is it worth it?  freeman just might consider the vets a better option if they know where to be, when they are supposed to.

once the pads come on, if benn, williams and parker outplay the vets, then sure, lets roll with them.  lets even start them.  but for a guy that wasnt even the leading receiver at north alabama, a guy that hasnt played in a year, and a guy that cradles the ball with his body...if those are the guys we are depending on...not even mentioning the fact that most have had maturity issues...to expect all 3 to come in and play like superstars from the get-go...is outrageous at least...and sorry for the run on sentence.

a couple of solid yet unspectacular WR's might be the best thing for a young QB like freeman.  or maybe 3 rookies and a guy with 0 starts could be the way to go...training camp will be fun to watch.

STRICK-9

Starter

#19 : May 04, 2010, 10:18:50 PM

Wasn't he the guy that was found asleep at the wheel in a McDonalds drive thru with weed and guns in his car?

Pass.

No, he's the guy that owns Bang Bus out of Ft Lauderdale!

I don\'t believe in the Electric Chair...I believe in Electric Bleachers!

Larry Brackins

Starter
#20 : May 04, 2010, 10:25:59 PM

It doesn't matter who "scares" anybody.

5 guys WILL make the team:
Benn
Williams
Stroughter
Stoval
Brown

That leaves room for probably one more WR. That leaves Bradley, Parker, Clayton, and whoever else is left. I wouldn't be shocked if Parker beats either of them out, but we will see.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

abellwillring

Second String

#21 : May 04, 2010, 10:57:27 PM

Wasn't he the guy that was found asleep at the wheel in a McDonalds drive thru with weed and guns in his car?

Pass.

He did fall asleep in the McDonalds drive thru (he was high) but he didn't possess any drugs or a gun at the time.  He was caught with a gun and weed in his car earlier in the year in a separate incident.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#22 : May 04, 2010, 11:08:47 PM

but benn, williams, and parker scare people?  potential is great, but when potential is causing INT's (and it will) is it worth it?  freeman just might consider the vets a better option if they know where to be, when they are supposed to.

once the pads come on, if benn, williams and parker outplay the vets, then sure, lets roll with them.  lets even start them.  but for a guy that wasnt even the leading receiver at north alabama, a guy that hasnt played in a year, and a guy that cradles the ball with his body...if those are the guys we are depending on...not even mentioning the fact that most have had maturity issues...to expect all 3 to come in and play like superstars from the get-go...is outrageous at least...and sorry for the run on sentence.

a couple of solid yet unspectacular WR's might be the best thing for a young QB like freeman.  or maybe 3 rookies and a guy with 0 starts could be the way to go...training camp will be fun to watch.

The veteran players have established their parameters. We know what they can't do. The rookies can't be any worse. The only possible improvement over what we have had in the past, lies in their hands. They possess the talent and lack only experience. The only way to give them experience is to play them. This team is not going to the SB. The more they play this year, the better they will be next year, when the odds are a little better that the Bucs will actually compete for a playoff spot. I'm not giving up on that possibility. I'm just trying to be realistic. Throw them in the fire. I've had enough of mediocre.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#23 : May 04, 2010, 11:19:06 PM

The veteran players have established their parameters. We know what they can't do. The rookies can't be any worse. The only possible improvement over what we have had in the past, lies in their hands. They possess the talent and lack only experience. The only way to give them experience is to play them. This team is not going to the SB. The more they play this year, the better they will be next year, when the odds are a little better that the Bucs will actually compete for a playoff spot. I'm not giving up on that possibility. I'm just trying to be realistic. Throw them in the fire. I've had enough of mediocre.

i beg to differ. if they arent mentally ready they can certainly be worse. 

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#24 : May 05, 2010, 08:34:33 AM

i beg to differ. if they arent mentally ready they can certainly be worse. 

You're allowed. There is no rule that says you have to agree with me. Apparently mediocre suits you.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#25 : May 05, 2010, 08:38:39 AM

You're allowed. There is no rule that says you have to agree with me. Apparently mediocre suits you.

reality suits me.  expecting mid round draft picks and undrafted WR's to immediately play better than veterans doesnt seem the norm.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#26 : May 05, 2010, 09:09:16 AM

reality suits me.  expecting mid round draft picks and undrafted WR's to immediately play better than veterans doesnt seem the norm.

Who said anything about "immediately"? I didn't, and don't. Experience isn't going to improve our veterans. They're as good as they're ever going to get (mediocre). The rooks have a much higher ceiling. They need experience to improve, and they will. Let them learn now when very few expect much out of this team. The Glazers aren't going to fire anybody if the team shows progress, and the team is not going to show any progress with the veteran receivers. The future of this team lies in the hands of the receivers acquired in the last 15 months. We are fortunate that Freeman has 9 games of experience. He now needs to develop a chemistry with his most talented weapons, in the games.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#27 : May 05, 2010, 09:28:03 AM

Who said anything about "immediately"? I didn't, and don't. Experience isn't going to improve our veterans. They're as good as they're ever going to get (mediocre). The rooks have a much higher ceiling. They need experience to improve, and they will. Let them learn now when very few expect much out of this team. The Glazers aren't going to fire anybody if the team shows progress, and the team is not going to show any progress with the veteran receivers. The future of this team lies in the hands of the receivers acquired in the last 15 months. We are fortunate that Freeman has 9 games of experience. He now needs to develop a chemistry with his most talented weapons, in the games.

i said immediately, just about in every post.  this thread is about preston parker being on the active roster, which we know would be in addition to benn, williams, ans stroughter. 

how many WR's do you expect to keep on the active roster?  because the 4 mentioned above would basically be 4 rookies, playing with a very green QB.

most expect around a .500 season.  at least i do.  now what is the best way to get there?  i dont think the answer should be set yet before the pads come on.  if the rookies show they know the offense and can play at the level of the vets, then go with the rookies.  but i dont believe we should play the rookies no matter what, just because we think they have more potential.  take the case of antonio bryant.  he was mediocre for much of his career before coming to tampa, wasnt he?  maybe he was a vet that  just needed the right situation.

id rather play a WR that will be in the right place at the right time...rather than a name with potential.  if the rookies prove they are better, start them.  if the rookies are ready, play them.  but if they arent ready, lets not play them just because they have better measurables.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#28 : May 05, 2010, 09:54:29 AM

Benn, Williams, and Stroughter are locks. Brown is likely a lock. We will likely carry two more WRs that aren't always active on Sundays and are more for depth. Those two guys will likely be Stovall and Bradley, but it wouldn't be a huge shocker if Parker replaced one of those two.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#29 : May 05, 2010, 10:14:12 AM

Benn, Williams, and Stroughter are locks. Brown is likely a lock. We will likely carry two more WRs that aren't always active on Sundays and are more for depth. Those two guys will likely be Stovall and Bradley, but it wouldn't be a huge shocker if Parker replaced one of those two.

Stovall has special teams talent as a gunner, and we lost Brian Clark who was another special teamer. If anyone is to be challenged by Parker it would probably be Bradley.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Preston Parker « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools