Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Random Kareem Huggins Post « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 13

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
: May 06, 2010, 10:56:32 AM

I'm not really getting your point Biggs. 24 teams came to see Colsten and yet nobody drafted him untill the 7th round.

Your argument for Huggins not being drafted even though he reportedly runs a 4.28 is because he went to a small school in Hofstra and was unknown, and Colston was used as an example of a guy slipping through the cracks at Hofstra.  The only problem with that is it isn't true.  The NFL scouted Colston, they just got him wrong.

I'm not understanding how that is an argument for Huggins not being good? Everyone passed on him just like Colsten....but Colsten was great, so I don't get what your saying. Doesn't that mean Huggins could also be great?

You're misunderstanding me.  I'm not saying Huggins isn't good, I'm just saying I don't believe can actually run a 4.28.  If he could, he would have been drafted.

I like Huggins quite a bit and would like to see him used more.

As far as his speed, it's not everything. There are guys that have great speed that don't get drafted high every year. This year Jacoby Ford ran a 4.28 and didn't go untill the 4th round. Trindon Holiday ran a 4.3 and went in the 6th. Last year Johnny Knox ran a 4.26 and went in the 5th. All I'm saying is speed doesn't mean you get drafted high or at all. Especially when you come from a -AA school.

Those guys were drafted for speed alone, just like Huggins would have been if he ran a 4.28.

You also have to remember that small RBs are a new fad. He was 185 coming out of college and most likely assumed he was too small and could only be a returner. 185lbs RBs from Hofstra just don't get alot of attention, even if they run a 4.3 forty.

I don't buy that.  LaRod Stephens-Howling is smaller (5'7", 180lbs) than Huggins, and he was drafted by Cardinals last year.

Do you have any other football players who run a sub-4.3 that didn't get drafted?

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#1 : May 06, 2010, 11:53:18 AM

ECU and hofstra are worlds apart.
^^^

Though CJ is a whole lot more polished and was a duel threat right out of the gate.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#2 : May 06, 2010, 11:01:56 AM

Peanut will never be part of the RB rotation. He's ran the ball like 5 times and fumbled twice.
  I wouldn't say 'never', but my point was with the success Sammie Stroughter had last year as a return man, and the fact Huggins has experience with returns, I doubt we'll keep Peanut around unless he CAN become a better-than-decent 3rd-down back to go with his ST skills. Huggins with his superior speed would have an edge right now as a RB, IMO. I don't see us keeping both of them...

I think you underestimate Clifton's special teams contributions.

Since his debut, he's second in the NFL in kick return average (29.10) only to Daniel Manning (29.72).  No other player with more than 20 returns averages over 29 yards.

He's also second to Desean Jackson among guys with 20+ punt returns.  He averages 14.09 per return, more than Reggie Bush, Josh Cribbs, Leon Washington, and others.

The dude might be the most complete returner in the NFL.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#3 : May 06, 2010, 01:29:23 PM

I just hope we get to see one way or the other. If we have to watch Caddie and Ward again all year and never get to see Huggins on Sundays....I'm gonna puke.

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#4 : May 06, 2010, 12:10:00 PM

The point is....if Huggins has it, we don't exactly have Walter Payton out on the backfield so he will get a chance. If he doesn't, then we will learn why he didn't get drafted high.

obuc

Starter

#5 : May 06, 2010, 01:54:00 PM

Is this guy shifty though? that counts the most and as opposed to 40 speed, 10 speed. How quick can you get up to full speed. Percy Harvin for example, can get up to full speed in 4 steps or something and can change direction to get guys to miss. If you just have speed, other guys will catch you.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#6 : May 06, 2010, 02:09:02 PM

Is this guy shifty though? that counts the most and as opposed to 40 speed, 10 speed. How quick can you get up to full speed. Percy Harvin for example, can get up to full speed in 4 steps or something and can change direction to get guys to miss. If you just have speed, other guys will catch you.

Hard to say for sure from the video, since his competition is crap...but he seems to move just as fast laterarly without hesitation. He's got some moves, but he is actually a pretty physical runner. From what I saw in preseason last year he is more like Maurice Jones-Drew than Warrick Dunn....just faster. He has a 42" vertical jump as well, which usually equals explosive acceleration.

Larry Brackins

Starter
#7 : May 05, 2010, 05:40:58 AM

Was looking up some Bucs videos on youtube tonight, and I happend to run into a couple of Kareem Huggins videos that were interesting. I think it's pretty clear at this point the Bucs like him and he has a realistic chance to make the team, so enjoy.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#8 : May 05, 2010, 08:14:08 AM

4.28?

Dayyumm!!!

Even for a pro-day forty time that is quick.

I had no idea he was that fast. He Sure does look the part though.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#9 : May 05, 2010, 08:28:36 AM

the 4.28 got posted before and a bunch of people jumped on it saying no way, and that there was no stopwatch or clock in view.

you can time the vid yourself folks, i think 4.28 is pretty accurate.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#10 : May 05, 2010, 08:29:39 AM

how is he as a pass catcher?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

#11 : May 05, 2010, 09:02:06 AM

He's fast, but he isn't CJ Spiller/Chris Johnson fast and that is what 4.28 implies. All you have to do is look at the first highlight and see #28 making up a ton of ground on him coming across the field. Even if he isn't a 4.3 guy, if the comparisons to a young Willie Parker hold true he could be a huge difference maker for us this year. Hopefully we can keep him healthy a bit longer than Pittsburgh did Parker though.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#12 : May 05, 2010, 09:49:01 AM

I really like this kid. The speed alone doesn't make him great, even the great 10 minute
video doesn't mean alot because it is against 2nd rate college kids....but I think the kid gives us
something we lack. A home run hitter. We don't have anyone that can take it to the house at any
moment. This kid can do that. He's 5'9" 200lbs. Built like a slightly larger Sproles. A cannonball. He could
do nothing at the next level, or he could be an amazing situational back that gives us a special weapon
and pushes our offense over the hump. I really hope he gets his shot this year.

Go Bucs!

Larry Brackins

Starter
#13 : May 05, 2010, 06:25:21 PM

I didn't realize like he was that fast, and as somebody said he definatley looks the part.

Gonna have to keep an eye on him in the preseason this season.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

CHRISHOVAN

Hall of Famer

#14 : May 05, 2010, 07:30:58 PM

They look kind of similar, don't they? Maybe we found ourselves another Pocket Hercules.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 13
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Random Kareem Huggins Post « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools