Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Random Kareem Huggins Post « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13

Larry Brackins

Starter
#30 : May 05, 2010, 10:12:23 PM

Can somebody here who believes that Huggins can run a 4.28 40 explain to me why he went undrafted, please?
Exactly. Chris JOhnson came from a small school, and legit ran a sub 4.3, and was drafted round 2. And now, he is one of the best RBs in the NFL, because of that pure speed.

Speed of that proportions gets you recognized VERY VERY quickly, and makes you a legit candidate for the NFL draft, early round, IMO...

Huggins ran a school timed 4.28. I have never placed much on Pro Day 40's, I think they are always player friendly times, accounts...

But I am not dumping on HUggins either. I think he may be a legit RB for the team. He didn't fare too poorly, and I think he will need to have a great camp to unseat one of the bodies.
I don't think you can really compare East Carolina to Hofstra, though. East Carolina was a FBS team in C-USA while Hofstra is a 1-AA school. The level of competition difference is huge. When was the last time a 1-AA running back went in the first round? Serious question.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#31 : May 05, 2010, 10:21:08 PM

Can somebody here who believes that Huggins can run a 4.28 40 explain to me why he went undrafted, please?
Exactly. Chris JOhnson came from a small school, and legit ran a sub 4.3, and was drafted round 2. And now, he is one of the best RBs in the NFL, because of that pure speed.

Speed of that proportions gets you recognized VERY VERY quickly, and makes you a legit candidate for the NFL draft, early round, IMO...

Huggins ran a school timed 4.28. I have never placed much on Pro Day 40's, I think they are always player friendly times, accounts...

But I am not dumping on HUggins either. I think he may be a legit RB for the team. He didn't fare too poorly, and I think he will need to have a great camp to unseat one of the bodies.
I don't think you can really compare East Carolina to Hofstra, though. East Carolina was a FBS team in C-USA while Hofstra is a 1-AA school. The level of competition difference is huge. When was the last time a 1-AA running back went in the first round? Serious question.
Westbrook may not have been drafted round , but I venture to say he was very very productive in the NFL.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#32 : May 05, 2010, 10:25:55 PM

I'm not really getting your point Biggs. 24 teams came to see Colsten and yet nobody drafted him untill the 7th round. I'm not understanding how that is an argument for Huggins not being good? Everyone passed on him just like Colsten....but Colsten was great, so I don't get what your saying. Doesn't that mean Huggins could also be great?

As far as his speed, it's not everything. There are guys that have great speed that don't get drafted high every year. This year Jacoby Ford ran a 4.28 and didn't go untill the 4th round. Trindon Holiday ran a 4.3 and went in the 6th. Last year Johnny Knox ran a 4.26 and went in the 5th. All I'm saying is speed doesn't mean you get drafted high or at all. Especially when you come from a -AA school.

You also have to remember that small RBs are a new fad. He was 185 coming out of college and most likely assumed he was too small and could only be a returner. 185lbs RBs from Hofstra just don't get alot of attention, even if they run a 4.3 forty.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#33 : May 05, 2010, 10:26:45 PM

Peanut will never be part of the RB rotation. He's ran the ball like 5 times and fumbled twice.

i wouldnt be so sure.  a friend was talking to a Bucs player recently and the player commented that peanut played on a different level/speed than anyone else.  i dont exactly get it, but take it fwiw.  but yeah, for peanut to expand his role he needs to prove his security has improved.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#34 : May 05, 2010, 10:27:16 PM

Wasn't Chris Johnson drafted round one?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#35 : May 05, 2010, 10:31:49 PM

Wasn't Chris Johnson drafted round one?
We clarified this already man.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#36 : May 05, 2010, 10:32:26 PM

I don't get the comparisons to Chris Johnson anyways. Chris is almost 6ft and 200lbs. He is a lankier guy with moves on top of moves to go with his speed. Huggins is likely no Chris Johnson...but who is? I think a more reasonable comparison would be Brian Westbrook, Maurice Jones-Drew, or Willie Parker.

Anyways, I don't care why or how we have him. I'm just excited about him. I'm actually just as excited to see him in preseason again, as I am to see our new rookies. Can you imagine if he did emerge as a Jones-Drew or Westbrook type of guy? Our offense could be amazing. I'm not saying he will be great, but I think the odds of him being great are just as good as any of our rookies being great. Untill we see him out there running against 1st team NFL pros....nobody will know what he can do.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#37 : May 05, 2010, 11:03:16 PM

Peanut will never be part of the RB rotation. He's ran the ball like 5 times and fumbled twice.
   I wouldn't say 'never', but my point was with the success Sammie Stroughter had last year as a return man, and the fact Huggins has experience with returns, I doubt we'll keep Peanut around unless he CAN become a better-than-decent 3rd-down back to go with his ST skills. Huggins with his superior speed would have an edge right now as a RB, IMO. I don't see us keeping both of them...

heyman_BUCu!

Second String

#38 : May 05, 2010, 11:06:07 PM

There are always guy's that go undrafted, or are over looked by teams that have elite speed, or other intangibles. That's what the scouting depts. on teams get paid for. And a guy like Huggins, who I've indorsed for just as long as Jdouble. Hits the scene and tears it up, causing somebody who over looked him to lose his job! The kid is a totally different back than any other we have on this roster. In my eyes making Ward expendable. That's why I wanted the Bucs to pick up a true "power back" to pair up with him. There are going to be a lot of interesting camp battles this year. I just hope Olson knows what to do with all of his new weapons!

Damn Rah :-/.

Larry Brackins

Starter
#39 : May 05, 2010, 11:13:48 PM

Westbrook may not have been drafted round , but I venture to say he was very very productive in the NFL.
I read your post as knocking Huggins because of how early Johnson went and they were both from small schools, sorry if I misread it.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

lowlife

Starter
#40 : May 06, 2010, 04:35:45 PM

Preseason's gonna be interesting to watch.
A **CENSORED** ton of young'ns competing for spots.

I just don't see the team carrying 5 backs.

Larry Brackins

Starter
#41 : May 06, 2010, 04:50:03 PM

ECU and hofstra are worlds apart.
^^^

Though CJ is a whole lot more polished and was a duel threat right out of the gate.
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say about ECU and Hofstra as well.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#42 : May 06, 2010, 05:56:44 PM

A crap ton of young'ns competing for spots.

Me Neither. So who is the odd man out? Caddie, Ward, Graham, Huggins, or Peanut? Something has got to give. I'm still hanging on to the hope that we will trade Ward and a 3rd or 4th from next years draft to get Osi from the Giants. Pipe dream I know. I just hope Graham and Huggins make it to the 53 man roster.

kool herc

Pro Bowler
#43 : May 06, 2010, 06:13:04 PM

The Giants have repeatedly said they are not trading Osi and PR has said there is little to no interest in Ward after last year.

lowlife

Starter
#44 : May 06, 2010, 06:21:02 PM

A crap ton of young'ns competing for spots.

Me Neither. So who is the odd man out? Caddie, Ward, Graham, Huggins, or Peanut? Something has got to give. I'm still hanging on to the hope that we will trade Ward and a 3rd or 4th from next years draft to get Osi from the Giants. Pipe dream I know. I just hope Graham and Huggins make it to the 53 man roster.

I doubt anyone's gonna trade for Ward at this point outside of NY, but even that is remote.
Smith is an elite returner and will be kept just in that capacity.

Williams was our best back last season, he isn't going anywhere.
Graham's a team player, our power back, and is versatile.
Ward just got that contract last season. This would be a good season to dump it, but I don't see it.

Huggins' future is on the PS unless he plays out of his mind in August or there are injuries.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Random Kareem Huggins Post « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools