Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Offseason Report « previous next »
Page: 1

stevenlourie

Practice Squad

: May 09, 2010, 01:29:02 PM

I spent a lot of time on this and I was hoping to get some feedback/discussion/debate, what do you think?
http://www.footballfanspot.com/tampabaybuccaneers.htm

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#1 : May 09, 2010, 02:13:44 PM

not trying to be mean or anything, but i didnt care fore your assesment much at all.

Questioning the Price pick....really?  BPA on a team with this many holes is a good thing.

Better WRs available than Benn? Tate was the only one in contention on most boards. Benn went 39, Tate 60,  and your pick of Williams went 77(after the Bucs 3rd round pick). Thats over an entire round difference. your suggesting the Bucs should of drafted a guy that would have been available at their 3rd round pick at the top of the 2nd round.

Williams, well, do some homework here on PR. Hes being overly hyped, but so has a lot of his issues. They got a 1st/2nd round talent in the 4th. The Bucs did extensive homework on him as well. with the Bucs stable of WRs, why wouldnt the Bucs invest 2 picks at the WR position? Most everyone expected this. Once again, your pick of Griffen went  an entire round(32 picks) after where you wanted the Bucs to pick him.

Bowden, im not sure why so many people are against this pick. The Punters the Bucs employed last year were horrendous most of the time. Late rounds are where you pick up projects, special teamers, and kickers/punters. Id rather have a starting Punter worth a squat, over a guy who will make 10 STs tackles. teams once in awhile find gems, but your betting against the house if your looking for starters on day 3. Bowden was the 2nd/3rd rated punter on most boards. Being the Pats selected Mesko in the 5th, the best punter was off the board by the Bucs pick.

You mention Bryant may not be on the team, well he was signed to the Bengals before the draft. since you included the draft, i assume this was written after the draft and after Bryant had inked his deal with Cinci.

welcome to the board man! just a critique, dont take it as bashing.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

stevenlourie

Practice Squad

#2 : May 09, 2010, 02:25:42 PM

I gave them a solid grade for the price pick because he was BPA, but going DT-DT for a team that had other needs was a bit head scratching. i actually thought it was a decent pick though.
I liked Damian Williams more, though I realize Benn was regarded as the best available at that point, so I didn't give it a bad grade.
i didn't mind the idea of taking two WRs, but they were two boom and bust receivers, which is a big risk. i didn't give that a bad grade either.
Bowden is a solid punter, but using a 5th round pick on a punter is something I'm normally against. they could have gotten one a solid one in the 7th.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#3 : May 09, 2010, 02:29:51 PM

I liked Damian Williams more, though I realize Benn was regarded as the best available at that point.

Bowden is a solid punter, but using a 5th round pick on a punter is something I'm normally against. they could have gotten one a solid one in the 7th.

Williams wasnt drafted until mid 3rd round though. your suggesting he shouldof been drafted at the top of the second.

Bowden was a 6th round pick.

the grades were fair, i dont disput those at all. its just the assesments i didnt agree with.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#4 : May 09, 2010, 02:31:07 PM

back to back DTs is only head scratching when your defense isnt ranked 32nd in run defense.

buccnation

Starter
#5 : May 09, 2010, 03:17:33 PM

Agreed imo the draft was an A+. Our dline is missing one stud D end from being very scary. I loved back to back DT's. And we really needed a punter so why not get the 2nd best available in the 6th.

Lovin the Lovie

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#6 : May 09, 2010, 03:46:11 PM

You lost me when you said we haven't had a good safety since Dexter Jackson...

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#7 : May 09, 2010, 03:53:18 PM

I spent a lot of time on this and I was hoping to get some feedback/discussion/debate, what do you think?
http://www.footballfanspot.com/tampabaybuccaneers.htm

I agree with most of analysis except I see Mike Williams having the greater potential to be a #1 WR while Benn is relegated to being a complimentary #2.

Also the Bucs cut Brooks/June because they were not productive, so I think they made the right choice to go with Hayes/Black.

Tanard Jackson has had some gaffes, but he is a good safety, and arguably the best safety since Lynch.

Penn was actually statistically worse than Trueblood except in terms of sacks surrendered.  But Penn, like True were league leaders in penalty flags.

stevenlourie

Practice Squad

#8 : May 09, 2010, 04:11:23 PM

@leeroybuc: ok, since dexter jackson left in 2005, who have they had at safety that's been good. tanard jackson has been their best, but i wouldn't say he's a great safety.

Booker

Hall of Famer

#9 : May 09, 2010, 04:16:33 PM

Tanard is a better safety than Dexter.  He is easily top 5 in the NFL.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#10 : May 09, 2010, 05:11:52 PM

Bench-press-wise, Price is stronger than Suh; 34 reps to 32. He is definite NT material, and he agreed to play NT in a meeting with Dom before the draft. He can also play DE on 3rd down, as can McCoy. The variety of "looks" we can now throw at the opposition is gonna be nasty! So, I gave us a solid A for both DT's.
    Benn was definitely on our radar, and probably Buffalo's too, who picked before us. We wisely traded up to get ahead of Buffalo to nab him. We recognized the only other receiver close (and not THAT close) in talent was Tate, who was taken over 1 full round later. Tate depends on his speed more than Benn, who catches very well in traffic. That makes Benn a more of a dependable receiver; i.e., he'll likely catch more passes.
    Williams we obviously liked, but with his perceived character issues, we patiently waited 'til the 4th round to pick him. Good value in the 4th round, IMO.
    As has been pointed out, the top-rated punter was already taken by the Patriots. Bowden, according to Dominik, was the only other punter left worth drafting. Could we have waited 'til the 7th? I can't be sure, but if we lose him, now we gotta root thru whatever FA's are left. Punters are hard to figure; Mike Nugent was great at Ohio State and a much higher draft pick (by the Jets, I think) and has really struggled. I'm guessing they really like Bowden, so they took him.

bait619

Starter

#11 : May 09, 2010, 10:56:58 PM

i thought Nugent was a PK?

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#12 : May 09, 2010, 11:24:55 PM

@leeroybuc: ok, since dexter jackson left in 2005, who have they had at safety that's been good. tanard jackson has been their best, but i wouldn't say he's a great safety.

Like Booker said, Tanard is better than Dexter Jackson ever was.

baybuc35

Hall of Famer

#13 : May 09, 2010, 11:43:21 PM

phillps was just as good as  Djackson and tanard has alot more upside than either of them had

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Offseason Report « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools