Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BREAKING: SLIMMER PENN TO HOLD OUT OF OTAs, POSSIBLY MINI-CAMP « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#15 : May 14, 2010, 11:36:32 AM

He's a good player at a critical position who stays healthy and doesn't miss games. We can't afford to dump guys like that. ...

He was one of the most penalized starting LT in the league last year.  In fact he didn't trail Trueblood all that much last year, and his run blocking is sub par.  He didn't surrender a lot of sacks, but he was flagged a lot which is a sign that he isn't the pass protector many proclaim him to be.

I say he should hold out so the team can move on, and have players that want to play receiving reps.

BerubesBucs

Hall of Famer

#16 : May 14, 2010, 11:53:38 AM

I'm kind of torn.

Yes, he did shut down some big name players over the last couple years, and he plays at such a critical position that you feel like you HAVE to lock him up. At the same time, there's his weight issue, and the fact that you didn't give Ruud the money or Cadillac, two guys that have worked a lot harder than Penn.

Gaither can be had, or Fulton can step in. There are options and if it means setting an example for any selfish player that might be thinking about sitting on his ass while ALL the rest of his teammates are out there busting theirs to try and get better.... then sit his fat ass down and put some younger blood in there.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#17 : May 14, 2010, 11:57:38 AM

It is better they move on now If Penn is determined to go through with this.  The new starter will need reps heading into opening day.  Even if Penn chooses to return at some point he will not be ready for the opener if his hold out extends into training camp. 

If I were the Bucs I would focus on preparing life without Penn. 

BerubesBucs

Hall of Famer

#18 : May 14, 2010, 11:58:48 AM

Can you guys imagine how fat Penn is going to get while sitting around, not playing?  Dude is screwing himself here. What an idiot.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#19 : May 14, 2010, 12:02:32 PM

Can you guys imagine how fat Penn is going to get while sitting around, not playing?  Dude is screwing himself here. What an idiot.

This is what really bothers me because assuming he can keep his weight down the lack of football contact for an extended period of time will make him sluggish.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#20 : May 14, 2010, 01:17:42 PM

I know that everybody is on the Gaither bandwagon, but he's not coming for free.  The Ravens believe they have a run in them, and they aren't going to dump a starter unless they get a solid return.

Plus, there are reasons they replaced Gaither.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#21 : May 14, 2010, 01:23:45 PM

It has nothing to do with weight or talent. Its about money. Remember that the Bucs are a bargain-basement team.

Fulton will be the starting LT this year. He's cheap. And they can claim he is part of the "youth movement." And I doubt Freeman gets through the season without serious injury.

Dominico

Starter

#22 : May 14, 2010, 01:26:15 PM

I know that everybody is on the Gaither bandwagon, but he's not coming for free. The Ravens believe they have a run in them, and they aren't going to dump a starter unless they get a solid return.

Yeah I have never understood the Gaither hype.  The Ravens are one of the best talent evaluating teams in the league, if they are trying to dump a guy than something is up.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#23 : May 14, 2010, 01:27:24 PM

I'm kind of torn.

Yes, he did shut down some big name players over the last couple years, and he plays at such a critical position that you feel like you HAVE to lock him up. At the same time, there's his weight issue, and the fact that you didn't give Ruud the money or Cadillac, two guys that have worked a lot harder than Penn.

Cadillac already got his $31 million payday for basically playing half his career so far, so I feel no remorse for him. NO team will risk a big contract on this guy again.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#24 : May 14, 2010, 01:32:23 PM

It has nothing to do with weight or talent. Its about money. Remember that the Bucs are a bargain-basement team.

Faine (largest center contract) & Winslow (largest TE contract) & Clayton (largest useless receiver contract) & Ward (largest worthless RB contract) & Nugent ($2.5 million for nothing) & Luke McCown ($5 million for nothing) would beg to differ with you on that.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#25 : May 14, 2010, 01:36:27 PM

Faine (largest center contract) & Winslow (largest TE contract) & Clayton (largest useless receiver contract) & Ward (largest worthless RB contract) & Nugent ($2.5 million for nothing) & Luke McCown ($5 million for nothing) would beg to differ with you on that.

So not drafting a single OL to protect your franchise QB and then letting your starting LT hold out because you dont want to pay..... that's all part of Dominik's grand "plan" to rebuild the team?

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#26 : May 14, 2010, 01:41:06 PM

So not drafting a single OL to protect your franchise QB and then letting your starting LT hold out because you dont want to pay..... that's all part of Dominik's grand "plan" to rebuild the team?

Have you ever taken a tally of how many of the top left tackles in the NFL skip OTA's? It seems to be the norm. It makes absolutely no business sense to sign Penn or any other RFA to a long-term deal until the league knows what the heck is happening with the labor dispute. Look around...this is nothing unique to the Bucs right now.

conrad77

Pro Bowler

#27 : May 14, 2010, 02:09:08 PM

I know that everybody is on the Gaither bandwagon, but he's not coming for free. The Ravens believe they have a run in them, and they aren't going to dump a starter unless they get a solid return.

Yeah I have never understood the Gaither hype.  The Ravens are one of the best talent evaluating teams in the league, if they are trying to dump a guy than something is up.

Something very big is up.  It's called Michael Oher.  No team can afford to pay two top 10 caliber LT's and then sit one or slide him to RT.  His injury has been checked out and was not an issue.  It's just a matter of having two great player and only being able to play one.  Similar to the whole Brees/Rivers conundrum the Chargers had a while back.

[Add witty one liner here]

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#28 : May 14, 2010, 02:19:41 PM

Not exactly the same.  From what I hear, they don't love his work ethic.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#29 : May 14, 2010, 02:34:21 PM

How many draft picks do you think the Bucs had?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BREAKING: SLIMMER PENN TO HOLD OUT OF OTAs, POSSIBLY MINI-CAMP « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools