Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bill McCollum:Florida should copy Arizona's new immigration law « previous next »
Page: 1 2

DynaMike Glennon

Pro Bowler

: May 15, 2010, 11:48:46 PM

Bill McCollum: Florida should copy Arizona's immigration law
Beth Reinhard

Attorney General Bill McCollum has had a dramatic change of heart on Arizona's new immigration law. Here's what he said on April 27: "I think Arizona has its own unique problems. I don't think Florida should enact laws like this -- quite that far out.'

Now he says some amendments to the law -- which failed to mollify most critics, including, apparently, former Gov. Jeb Bush -- have made it palatable, and that he would support a similar measure in Florida.

McCollum's statement:

As state and local law enforcement officials in Arizona begin to implement the states aggressive new border security law to crackdown on illegal immigration, I applaud Governor Brewer and the Arizona Legislature for stepping up their enforcement efforts at a time when President Obama's administration has let states down.

I support Arizona's law as amended, and if the federal government fails to secure our borders and solve the problem of illegal immigration, I would support a similar law for Florida.

Arizona leaders recently made needed changes that address concerns I had that the law could be abused and misused to perform racially profiled stops and arrests.

I do not support any measure that would result in racial profiling or other unintended consequences for law abiding American citizens.

Here in Florida, my Attorney General's office worked with state and local law enforcement agencies to reach agreements with the Department of Homeland Security to increase the number of Florida officers trained to enforce immigration laws and expand the scope of their authority.

While these efforts continue, the Obama Administration is not providing enough resources and officers to enforce federal immigration law.

President Obama and Department of Homeland Security Secretary Napolitano have shortsightedly failed to address serious border security issues, and now states carry a greater burden to keep our cities, streets and citizens safe.

As Attorney General and as Florida's next Governor, I am committed to advancing new and aggressive initiatives to keep Florida secure.

http://m.pbpost.com/pbpost/pm_11247/contentdetail.htm;jsessionid=19F8468A3473687AB158C52528EE92E7?contentguid=TVqf6Emv

Samari28

Hall of Famer
#1 : May 15, 2010, 11:50:18 PM

Just got my vote!!!

DynaMike Glennon

Pro Bowler

#2 : May 15, 2010, 11:53:21 PM

I've always been a big fan of his. He always sticks to his guns, no matter what.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#3 : May 15, 2010, 11:54:46 PM

Just got my vote!!!

Sucker.  McCollum's flowing in the breeze.

Vote for Rick Scott, he's been for it from the beginning - not after reading the polls on the issue.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#4 : May 15, 2010, 11:55:15 PM

I've always been a big fan of his. He always sticks to his guns, no matter what.

Dude, he just did a 180 on this issue.  He isn't sticking to his guns.

Samari28

Hall of Famer
#5 : May 16, 2010, 12:03:42 AM

Thanks, I will have to look into that as we need someone with some balls like Arizona has!!

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#6 : May 16, 2010, 12:05:05 AM

http://www.rickscottforflorida.com/home/2010/05/11/immigration/

Listen to that 30 sec. commercial.  Dude has it nailed.

DynaMike Glennon

Pro Bowler

#7 : May 16, 2010, 12:10:14 AM

OK, I guess Biggs is right.

May 13, 2010
Bill McCollum changes opinion after Rick Scott voices support for Arizona law

If you have any doubt about how concerned Bill McCollum is about GOP primary rival Rick Scott, just look at his release today announcing that he supports Florida enacting a hard line immigration law much like Arizona's. A couple weeks ago McCollum called it a "far out" law unsuitable for Florida, but then Scott applauded the Arizona's law.

Now McCollum has decided that, after some tweaks, Arizona's law is a terrific idea for Florida: “As state and local law enforcement officials in Arizona begin to implement the state’s aggressive new border security law to crackdown on illegal immigration, I applaud Gov. Brewer and the Arizona Legislature for stepping up their enforcement efforts at a time when President Obama’s administration has let states down. I support Arizona's law as amended, and if the federal government fails to secure our borders and solve the problem of illegal immigration, I would support a similar law for Florida.”

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#8 : May 16, 2010, 07:10:02 AM

I don't know if I'll be voting for Scott, but I know I won't vote for McCollum.  He's the same 'ole, same 'ole Republican Party candidate.  He might be a good guy, but I'm done voting for career politicians.

The thing I like most about Scott is he's a business man.  He knows what it's like to run a business and hasn't been in politics before.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#9 : May 16, 2010, 07:56:35 AM

I don't know nearly enough about Scott - but I am reading about him. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

aquilus

Pro Bowler

#10 : May 17, 2010, 01:37:07 PM

Just got my vote!!!

Sucker.  McCollum's flowing in the breeze.

Vote for Rick Scott, he's been for it from the beginning - not after reading the polls on the issue.

I have made a stance to do my homework before I chose a governor...They are all saying the same things right now so I have to go with my gut...I am leaning Scott

Dockery seems to be a wolf in sheeps clothing...aka Gov Crist

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#11 : May 17, 2010, 02:07:17 PM

Dude, he just did a 180 on this issue. He isn't sticking to his guns.

Sounded like he wasn't comfortable with the original but was after the changes...

I support Arizona's law as amended, and if the federal government fails to secure our borders and solve the problem of illegal immigration, I would support a similar law for Florida.

Arizona leaders recently made needed changes that address concerns I had that the law could be abused and misused to perform racially profiled stops and arrests.

I do not support any measure that would result in racial profiling or other unintended consequences for law abiding American citizens.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#12 : May 17, 2010, 09:16:46 PM

IF he didn't flip-flop then he spoke without knowing the bill.  Neither is good.

And I do think he tried what he thought would be popular - then flipped to match the polls.  Not a big McCullum fan

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

DynaMike Glennon

Pro Bowler

#13 : May 17, 2010, 08:39:47 PM

Dude, he just did a 180 on this issue. He isn't sticking to his guns.

Sounded like he wasn't comfortable with the original but was after the changes...

The more I think about it, I don't believe he neccessarily flip flopped, but that he just had some concerns when all this started. Concerns that there would be abuse. Even Judge Andrew Napolitano, who is a genius when it comes to the Constitution and Bill Of Rights, had questioned it also. Even I had some concerns, I didn't flip flop, but I did have questions. Now I'm realizing more that it's something we need. I'm tired of people coming here illegally when there are others who play by the rules. I'm tired of the news telling me someone was murdered or an act of violence was committed against them, later finding out the perpetrator was an illegal alien. I'm sick of it! 

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#14 : May 17, 2010, 11:53:02 PM

IF he didn't flip-flop then he spoke without knowing the bill. Neither is good.

He obviously knew the bill enough to think it needed amending .... as did the bill's authors.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bill McCollum:Florida should copy Arizona's new immigration law « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools