Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Urrutia arrested « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

RonDiazlol

Starter

#30 : May 19, 2010, 07:57:49 PM

SunnyD, are you 5-0?

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#31 : May 19, 2010, 08:43:28 PM

Yup

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#32 : May 19, 2010, 08:44:07 PM

Finishing up a degree to be a Conservation Warden but I was a cop

RonDiazlol

Starter

#33 : May 19, 2010, 08:49:17 PM

Cool. Respect.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#34 : May 19, 2010, 09:05:00 PM

You're one of the rare people then who doesn't lump all officers together.

Usually when someone experinces one of those experinces, they lump all cops into the same category ("cop" flys with us by the way).

Thats just how I interpreted what he was saying.

With that said, if we are talking about documented statistics, there is also plenty of research that shows over 60% of crime in large cities is committed by minorities.

I am by no means condoning racism or racial profiling. That is an illegal use of discretion if proven.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#35 : May 19, 2010, 09:20:08 PM

LOL, I didn't want to call you a "cop" because I wasn't sure. I have friends in law enforcement who don't like the label and I respect that.

But with what you're saying, that's an assumption SunnyD. I know a lot of people who are law abiding citizens. It's just as easy to lump all minorities in the same category as it is to lump all police officers in the same category. I would've been a NJ State Trooper if my wife was not totally against me carrying a weapon and putting my life at risk (I met her after serving in the military, lol), but coming up I recognized that I was a target as a black man in the NY/NJ area. I mean, here I am a West Point Cadet, class of '95, and me and a group of friends are getting pulled over on the NJ turnpike for "driving while black. Or the time I was stopped and frisked on the street for no reason at all around the same time without reason or cause. The point is racial profiling exists, and it does infringe on our rights under the constitution.

Again, I would never slight the risk and position of responsibility that you put yourself in, but I'm on that other side of the coin who's been witness to a 'wrong' based on race.

C2asante

Starter

#36 : May 19, 2010, 10:15:12 PM

The reason the majority of cops are jerks is because the general public turns them into jerks.

We pop out of the acadaemy ready to protect and serve.

And the first person you pull over is a an old lady who spits at you, a black dude who screams at you and calls you racist, another cop that flashes you a badge, a chick that shows you her tits and then screams at you when it doesnt get her out of a ticket.

People like c2asante disgust me.

Why am I not surprised that a successful Black professional that does not quake in fear and bow to you disgust you.  It's all good I don't hate the police, even ignorant ones who are disgusted by people they don't even know.  Stick with trying to impress the donut staff cause the feelings are mutual with me.

Obamessiah

Pro Bowler

#37 : May 20, 2010, 10:21:02 AM

Why does his opinion disgust you? He's not applying a stereotype to all law enforement officers, he's making a point that in other cities or states there has been a rampant problem with racial profiling. It's documented.

Seems to me that's exactly what he's doing. He's jumped to the worst conclusion without anything to base it on. Do we even know the race of the arresting officer?

Scholty

Pro Bowler

#38 : May 20, 2010, 10:25:20 AM

If you REALLY want to get an education from the 'other' side and do yourself a favor:  Go to your local police department and go on a ride along. Here in Texas, depending on city you can do it every 3 months for one shift.   Talk about an education on what people will say and do when pulled over.

Friend of mine is a cop that has taken me along on Friday or Saturday nights.  Had a blast but my eyes were really opened, to what these guys have to put up with.

*******************************Luck happens when hard work meets opportunity.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#39 : May 20, 2010, 11:42:01 AM

Black professional

I don't hate the police ... Stick with trying to impress the donut staff

Before this post I had no idea you were black.

But thanks for proving my point

Oh and by the way, I'm not white, as you implied.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#40 : May 20, 2010, 11:49:11 AM

The point is racial profiling exists

No one can dispute that.

And that is very sad.

I'm sorry about your bad experinces.

Living where I am now it seems to happen a lot.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#41 : May 20, 2010, 11:50:42 AM

my eyes were really opened, to what these guys have to put up with.

This.

jbear

Pro Bowler

#42 : May 20, 2010, 12:15:59 PM

The reason the majority of cops are jerks is because the general public turns them into jerks.

We pop out of the acadaemy ready to protect and serve.

And the first person you pull over is a an old lady who spits at you, a black dude who screams at you and calls you racist, another cop that flashes you a badge, a chick that shows you her tits and then screams at you when it doesnt get her out of a ticket.

Why does his opinion disgust you? He's not applying a stereotype to all law enforement officers, he's making a point that in other cities or states there has been a rampant problem with racial profiling. It's documented.

I respect what you do as an officer of the law and a public servant. I'm a public servant myself and served in the military, but I've also been victim of racial profiling. It happens, I don't hate all officers because of it, but it sucks to go through situations like that and then have people who've never been in a situation like that say it doesn't exist.

I can understand how that would be exteremly irritating but at the same time, sometimes a cop just pulls you over because you're speeding.  It must be difficult to go through life wondering if you're getting pulled over for being black or for doing somthing wrong but it seems like you'd just have to give the benefit of the doubt.  I "yes sir" and "no sir" every time I've been pulled over and never had a problem.  I don't know how I'd feel if I felt like I was getting pulled over just for being white but I don't see how giving the cop a hard time is gonna help any. 

I really do think that even when profiling does happen, most of the time its not overtly racist.  People are afraid of things they don't understand and definately suspect people who look a certain way.  Keep in mind that a white guy can be stoped for looking a certain way just the same as a black guy can.  Not saying it happens as much.

Reminds me of my brother.  After high school he and a freind spray painted a black racing stripe right down the middle of his beat up old Buick.  He very sincerly got pulled over a lot that year. 
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Urrutia arrested « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools