Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BP Isn't BOOMING ! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 9

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#15 : May 21, 2010, 07:04:50 AM

Here is some information just in five minutes.

http://www.mms.gov/offshore/AD.htm

Chris Oynes
Associate Director, Offshore Energy and Minerals Management
Mr. Chris Oynes was named in 2007 as the Associate Director of the Offshore Energy and Minerals Management Program. His responsibilities include administering the Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) oil and gas program as well as developing and implementing the new alternative energy program in the Federal OCS. Mr. Oynes had served as the Regional Director of the Minerals Management Service’s (MMS) Gulf of Mexico OCS Region in New Orleans for 12 years and previously as the Deputy Regional Director. His involvement with the MMS has covered a wide range of issues. He has been actively involved in how MMS conducts its resource projections and its environmental reviews, and the operational safeguards it imposes. During his tenure in the GOM, he conducted 30 lease sales and
oversaw a 50 percent rise in oil production.

Mr. Oynes has more than 30 years of Federal Government experience in a wide range of energy matters, including 13 years in Washington, D.C., with MMS in various capacities. This included serving as MMS’s Chief of the Leasing Division.

He previously received a 1998 Presidential Rank Award as a Meritorious Executive for his work in the SES. He has received the two highest honor awards that the U.S. Department of the Interior bestows–the Distinguished Service Award and the Meritorious Service Award.

Mr. Oynes has been a frequent speaker at major conferences including five previous presentations at the Offshore Technology Conference, the largest gathering of offshore personnel in the world. He has given presentations at the Baker Institute at Rice University, the 1998 Deep Offshore Technology Conference, the International Pipeline Conference, the 2002 International Workshop on Human Factors in Offshore Operations, the Houston Geologic Society, as well as the Pew Ocean Commission. Mr. Oynes holds a Juris Doctor Degree from George Washington University and a BA in Political Science from California State University at Fullerton.

You might want to go back and see how far this guy goes back...fwiw...OBD

white dragon

Practice Squad

#16 : May 21, 2010, 01:17:40 PM

Why would anyone blame the Messiah for this?  His hands are clean with BP, right?

This is obviously Bush's fault as well.

It's a systemic failure of our governments for years of not decades

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#17 : May 21, 2010, 02:15:20 PM

http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/news/press_releases/2010/post-disaster-permits-05-07-2010.html
Even as the BP drilling explosion which killed eleven people continues to gush hundreds of thousands of gallons of oil per day into the Gulf of Mexico, the U.S. Department of Interior�s Minerals Management Service (MMS) has continued to exempt dangerous new drilling operations from environmental review. Twenty-seven new offshore drilling projects have been approved since April 20, 2010; twenty-six under the same environmental review exemption used to approve the disastrous BP drilling that is fouling the Gulf and its wildlife.

�The MMS has learned absolutely nothing from this national catastrophe,� said Kier�n Suckling, executive director of the Center for Biological Diversity, �It is still illegally exempting dangerous offshore drilling projects in the Gulf of Mexico from all environmental review. It is outrageous and unacceptable.�

Kieran Suckling, the most appropriate name for a bureaucrat ever!

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#18 : May 21, 2010, 02:20:27 PM

The name of the Oil Rig was called Deepwater Horizon...built in 2001 (Bush era...) He is somemore info...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepwater_Horizon

Deepwater Horizon
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to:navigation, search
For information on the oil spill, see Deepwater Horizon oil spill.

Deepwater Horizon, on fire after the explosion
Career  
Name: Deepwater Horizon
Owner: Transocean
Operator: Transocean
Port of registry: Majuro
Marshall Islands
Route: Gulf of Mexico
Ordered: December 1998
Builder: Hyundai Heavy Industries
Cost: US$560 million [1][2]
Laid down: March 21, 2000
Completed: 2001
Acquired: February 23, 2001
Maiden voyage: Ulsan, South Korea – Freeport, Texas
Out of service: April 21, 2010 (exploded) [3]
Identification: IMO 8764597, Call V7HC9
Fate: Destroyed [3]
General characteristics
Class and type: ABS +A1 DPS-3 Column Stabilized MODU
Tonnage: 32,588 tonnes
Displacement: 52,587 tonnes
Length: 112 m
Beam: 78 m
Height: 97.4 m
Draught: 23.0 m
Depth: 41.5 m
Installed power: 42 MW
Propulsion: Diesel electric
Speed: 4 kts
Crew: 146
Notes: 8202 tonne Variable Deck Load, DP Class 3, 8 thrusters, 10,000 ft drilling water depth

Deepwater Horizon was an ultra-deepwater, dynamically positioned, semi-submersible offshore drilling rig which sank on April 22, 2010, causing the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. The spill was the result of an explosion two days earlier where eleven crewmen died. Deepwater Horizon was built in 2001 in South Korea, is owned by Transocean and was leased to BP plc until September 2013.[4] She was registered in Majuro, Marshall Islands. In September 2009, the rig drilled the deepest oil well in history at a vertical depth of 35,050. feet (10,683.2 m) and measured depth of 35,055 feet (10,685 m).[5] The oil spill may become one of the worst environmental disasters in United States history.[6]

Contents [hide]
1 History
2 Description
3 Explosion and oil spill
4 See also
5 References
6 External links

[edit] History
Designed originally for R&B Falcon, Deepwater Horizon was built by Hyundai Heavy Industries in Ulsan, South Korea. Construction started in December 1998 and was delivered in February 2001 after the acquisition of R&B Falcon by Transocean. She was the second semi-submersible rig constructed of a class of two, although the Deepwater Nautilus, her predecessor, is not dynamically positioned. Since arriving in the Gulf of Mexico, Deepwater Horizon was under contract to BP Exploration. Her work included wells in the Atlantis and Thunder Horse fields, a 2006 discovery in the Kaskida field, and the 2009 Tiber oilfield.[7][8] On September 2, 2009, Deepwater Horizon drilled on the Tiber oilfield with a vertical depth of 35,050 feet (10,680 m) and measured depth of 35,055 feet (10,685 m), of which 4,132 feet (1,259 m) was water.[8][9][10]

In 2002, the rig was upgraded with "e-drill," a drill monitoring system whereby technicians based in Houston, Texas, received real-time drilling data from the rig and transmitted maintenance and troubleshooting information.[11]

At the time of the accident, Deepwater Horizon was worked on BP's Mississippi Canyon Block 252, referred to as the Macondo Prospect.[7] The rig was last located 50 miles (80 km) off the southeast coast of Louisiana.[12] In October 2009, BP extended the contract for Deepwater Horizon by three years, to begin in September 2010.[4] The lease contract was worth US$544 million, a rate of $496,800 per day.[13]

[edit] Description
Deepwater Horizon was a fifth-generation, RBS-8D design, deepwater, dynamically positioned, column-stabilized, semi-submersible drilling rig.[14] This vessel is a Mobile Offshore Drilling Unit and can drill subsea wells for oil exploration and production purposes. The rig was 396 feet (121 m) long and 256 feet (78 m) wide[14] and in 2010 was one of approximately two hundred deepwater offshore rigs that are capable of drilling in more than 5000 feet of water.[15]

[edit] Explosion and oil spill
Main article: Deepwater Horizon oil spill
The rig was in the final phases of drilling a well in which casing is cemented in place, reinforcing the well.[12] At approximately 10 p.m. CST on April 20, 2010 (0300 UTC, April 21, 2010), an explosion and fire occurred on the rig.[16] Eleven people were missing after the incident. Seven workers were airlifted to the Naval Air Station in New Orleans and were then taken to hospital.[3] Support ships sprayed the rig with water in an unsuccessful bid to douse the flames. Deepwater Horizon sank on April 22, 2010, in water approximately 5,000 feet (1,500 m) deep, and has been located resting on the seafloor approximately 1,300 feet (400 m) (about a quarter of a mile) northwest of the well.[12][17][18] The oil slick spreading from the Deepwater Horizon disaster threatens fisheries, tourism and the habitat of hundreds of bird species.[19]

OBD

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer
#19 : May 21, 2010, 02:38:45 PM

When was this particular Oil Platform built? How many of the Department of Interior lower ranked inspectors are going to be under the gun for getting too close to the Oil Companies to turn the blind eye? There are plenty of reports going around now talking about the Career Inspectors who have gotten too close to Oil Companies and not done their job from what I have read and seen on the news. All I ask is that there should be more research done to actually pinpoint any and all involved and not turn this into a Republican bashing party on a Democratic President. If you can then find the connection between Obama and the Oil spill so be it, like it was tried with Katrina and Bush...What is so hard about do that?...I know...Its just too easy to attack with only surface information instead of just spending a little more time from the keyboard and just read up on all the reports and news...Partisian politics SUCKS...Be different look for a balanced answer and not one so biased...JMVHO...OBD
Jump in a plane and go fly over the Gulf and then talk about partisan politics.  Are you reading the links in this thread?  How do you not find fault in them?  Maybe it is you who needs to place blame instead of defending your vote.

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#20 : May 21, 2010, 02:43:44 PM

When was this particular Oil Platform built? How many of the Department of Interior lower ranked inspectors are going to be under the gun for getting too close to the Oil Companies to turn the blind eye? There are plenty of reports going around now talking about the Career Inspectors who have gotten too close to Oil Companies and not done their job from what I have read and seen on the news. All I ask is that there should be more research done to actually pinpoint any and all involved and not turn this into a Republican bashing party on a Democratic President. If you can then find the connection between Obama and the Oil spill so be it, like it was tried with Katrina and Bush...What is so hard about do that?...I know...Its just too easy to attack with only surface information instead of just spending a little more time from the keyboard and just read up on all the reports and news...Partisian politics SUCKS...Be different look for a balanced answer and not one so biased...JMVHO...OBD
Jump in a plane and go fly over the Gulf and then talk about partisan politics.  Are you reading the links in this thread?  How do you not find fault in them?  Maybe it is you who needs to place blame instead of defending your vote.
LOL I am not the one defending anything...Its you guys who think that we will follow your drum beat...Look at the bigger picture...When someone tries to pin this on one person (as someone has already said this goes back decades) then they are doing the partisian politics. I was just pointing out other facts and what era the oil rig was built. It seems that you may have gotten too far in understanding the actual point...Step back from the keyboard and just breath...OBD

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer
#21 : May 21, 2010, 04:00:08 PM

Stratobuc

Starter
#22 : May 21, 2010, 04:07:36 PM

President Obama doesn't care about Floridians......

RonDiazlol

Starter

#23 : May 21, 2010, 05:32:49 PM

That picture makes me wanna puke. I grew up in the water, and i try to take my kids there as much as possible. Just sad to see this going on no matter who is to blame.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer
#24 : May 21, 2010, 05:39:52 PM

That was five days ago, BY.  I can only hope that something miraculous will happen in the next week to get something done.   How long can the oil flow naturally?  Will it slow or stop on its own?

Magnaccia

Pro Bowler

#25 : May 21, 2010, 09:11:51 PM

What does any of this have to do with Obama?

Obama doesn't have anywhere near the power or authority to do anything about this disaster obviously, as shown by the fact BP apparently operates the USCG to keep pesky reporters away from oil slicked beaches.

http://www.graphicdesignmoney.comMake $$$$ online, ask me how :]

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#26 : May 21, 2010, 09:49:02 PM

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/05/21/paul-says-obama-being-too-tough-on-bp/?hpt=T2&fbid=RghucoYH1dQ

Paul says Obama being too tough on BP
Posted: May 21st, 2010 10:42 AM ET

From CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Republican Senate candidate Rand Paul is taking aim at President Barack Obama's handling of the oil crisis off the Gulf Coast.
(CNN) - Republican Senate candidate Rand Paul is taking aim at President Barack Obama's handling of the oil crisis off the Gulf Coast.

The president, Paul told ABC, is being too tough on BP - the oil giant that controls the well that has been leaking thousands of barrels of oil a day in the Gulf since late last month.

"What I don't like from the president's administration is this sort of 'I'll put my boot heel on the throat of BP,'" said Paul who overwhelmingly won Tuesday's GOP Senate primary in Kentucky and is a favorite of Tea Party activists. "I think that sounds really un-American in his criticisms of businesses."

"I've heard nothing from BP about not paying for the spill," Paul continued. "I think it's part of this blame game society in the sense that it's always got to be someone's fault, instead of the fact that sometimes accidents happen."

Since capturing the Senate nomination, Paul has faced a barrage of questions over his past criticisms of several federal regulations that intrude on the private sector, including provisions of the Civil Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and the national minimum wage.

"When does my honeymoon period start?" said Paul when he was again asked about his past statements Friday. "I had a big victory. I thought I got a honeymoon period from you guys in the media."

Democrat Jack Conway, Paul's opponent in the Kentucky Senate race, released a statement Friday slamming Paul over his comments on BP.

"Rand Paul apparently has a deeply held conviction that corporations should be allowed to do what they see fit without oversight or accountability. He even goes so far as to say that that criticizing corporations when they hurt taxpayers and working families – as in the case of the massive BP oil disaster – is 'un-American,'" Conway said.

I think this guy just lost my vote...OBD

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#27 : May 22, 2010, 12:04:02 PM

Bump...OBD

Nukepineisland

Pro Bowler
#28 : May 22, 2010, 03:50:04 PM

I am beyond words how mad I am over this thing . Rand Paul you are a **CENSORED** , ACCIDENT ! Screw you Pal , locking your keys in the car is a accident . This is a unmitigated disaster .

If the tools on capital hill were doing something other than gathering funds for their reelection campaigns , waging illegal wars OVER OIL ,setting the constitution on fire, cheating on their spouses etc , etc , WHEN IF THEY WERE DOING WHAT WE PAY THEM FOR ,THIS WOULD HAVE NEVER HAPPENED!!!

Why was this Piece of crap built in the first place ? OIL ! OIL! OIL ! OIL ! Drill baby drill , said the high functioning retard from Alaska . Yeah you flipping Moron drill because the whole oil thing has been treating us so great lately .

How about a real idea ;  most here on the boards live in FL , you know the SUNSHINE state why not have ?solar powered battery chargers for cars , wind farms , tidal power plants , the Gulf stream provides enough energy ALONE to take a 1/3 of the state off the grid , Composting yard and food waste keeps garbage trucks off the road and composted soil works far better than fertilizers .high speed mass transit systems and geothermal power plants. (which BTW the earths core provides enough energy to power the entire planet a thousand times over FOREVER .Look it up this is a FACT.)

In spite of all these "green" crap they are selling people , no real change to the system present has been initiated and that to me is a very real tragedy by itself let alone with A GIGANTIC natural distaster on top of it.   

ANY one of these options are available for us and the oil companies and car manufactures and plenty of others have had the bureaucrats sitting on their hands for AT LEAST the last the last thirty years. And because of that, this is what we get . I could puke .How long has it been since the Exxon-Valdez , nothing changes . [banghead]

They let the sugar companies do whatever they wanted for years and now the everglades and lake Okeechobee have been on the verge TOTAL ecological collapse , but don't worry the tax payers are cleaning that up too . They ruined the land , sold it back to us for a profit and moved to countries where they can do the same thing without any pesky oversight.

Same as it ever was though, the feds let the Rosen brothers level , dredge , and burn what was a beautiful place and turn it into the cesspool that is now Cape Coral in the 50s. My Father was a kid on the east coast when they were doing this and some days the smoke from the "controlled" burns actually made it over to the other coast .   

In my short life around the water; I've seen the game fish dwindle , the scallop beds disappear , water quality go to used toilet water , green seaweed beds EVERYWHERE covered in algae from lawn fertilizers and thus weakening that entire vital part of the ecology of Florida's estuaries . The loggerhead turtles have all but disappeared, The mullet used to roll so thick at redfish pass on captiva that I could hear them from my back porch in st james city FIVE MILES AWAY !

And now this , I am despondent .

My father , my uncles , my friends fathers and other elders around here all have told me on numerous occasions that Florida now is nearly unrecognizable to them , And I am just so damn worried how it'll be when my kids are my age .

It just kills me I love this place so much , and people move down here and they want it to be like Ohio , Michigan , New York ANYTHING but Florida.  Well congratulations carpet-baggers this clusterfrack is a definite step in the right direction because you couldn't pay me enough money to swim in the Hudson , and if we keep it up my kids will be saying the same thing about the Peace , Caloosahatchee  and most other rivers in Florida.  [banghead]

That picture makes me wanna puke. I grew up in the water, and i try to take my kids there as much as possible. Just sad to see this going on no matter who is to blame.
:( I know exactly what you mean .
Why would anyone blame the Messiah for this?  His hands are clean with BP, right?

This is obviously Bush's fault as well.

It's a systemic failure of our governments for years if not decades
+1

If I could I'd ask EVERY person in Florida what they thought of this and if the answer was anything short of pure outrage and absolute sadness I would have them thrown out of the state FOREVER.

Since the inception of the NFC South the team that finished last in the division has gone to the playoffs the next year...
...and Ive never been one to question history ;)

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#29 : May 22, 2010, 03:54:01 PM

Its not the fault of the ordinary, average people as the media, government, and BP have been very low key as to how serious this situations is.  No, don't listen to the alarmists that say this will destroy the oceans of the world.  But what this will do is hurt the gulf coast shallow/deep areas.  And when the chemicals are evaporated or incorporated into the water cycle that is when the health concern for people all over the United States begins.  Mercury is the biggest threat which can become acid rain.

The ecological disaster is hard to measure, especially since it is still ongoing.  So in reality no one wants to be honest with the American public about the real dangerous this poses to their health or well being.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BP Isn't BOOMING ! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools