Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BP Isn't BOOMING ! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#30 : May 22, 2010, 03:58:29 PM

Its not the fault of the ordinary, average people as the media, government, and BP have been very low key as to how serious this situations is.  No, don't listen to the alarmists that say this will destroy the oceans of the world.  But what this will do is hurt the gulf coast shallow/deep areas.  And when the chemicals are evaporated or incorporated into the water cycle that is when the health concern for people all over the United States begins.  Mercury is the biggest threat which can become acid rain.

The ecological disaster is hard to measure, especially since it is still ongoing.  So in reality no one wants to be honest with the American public about the real dangerous this poses to their health or well being.

I am watching the gas pumps while this is going on. I think we are really going to get stung here. Here is something else I read that ties our governments hands...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100522/ap_on_bi_ge/us_gulf_oil_spill
Frustration mounts as oil seeps into Gulf wetlands
            Buzz up!127 votes Send
Email IM .Share
Facebook Twitter Delicious Digg Fark Newsvine Reddit StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Bookmarks .Print .. Play Video AP  – Obama taps two to lead Gulf oil spill panel
. Slideshow:Gulf Coast Oil Spill .
 Play Video Barack Obama Video:Preview of President's West Point Speech FOX News .
Related Quotes Symbol Price Change
BP  43.86 -0.72
XOM  60.88 +0.55
^GSPC  1,087.69 +16.10
 AP – Shrimp boats carrying oil collection booms anchor for the night in Gulf of Mexico off the Mississippi …
 By GREG BLUESTEIN, Associated Press Writer Greg Bluestein, Associated Press Writer – 2 hrs 35 mins ago
ROBERT, La. – Anger grew along the Gulf Coast as an ooze of oil washed into delicate coastal wetlands in Louisiana, with many wondering how to clean up the monthlong mess — especially now that BP's latest try to plug the blown-out well won't happen until at least Tuesday.

"It's difficult to clean up when you haven't stopped the source," said Chris Roberts, a councilman for Jefferson Parish, which stretches from the New Orleans metropolitan area to the coast. "You can scrape it off the beach but it's coming right back."

Roberts surveyed the oil that forced officials to close a public beach on Grand Isle, south of New Orleans, as globs of crude that resembled melted chocolate washed up. Others questioned why BP PLC was still in charge of the response.

"The government should have stepped in and not just taken BP's word," declared Wayne Stone of Marathon, Fla., an avid diver who worries about the spill's effect on the ecosystem.

The government is overseeing the cleanup and response, but the official responsible for the oversight said he understands the discontent.

"If anybody is frustrated with this response, I would tell them their symptoms are normal, because I'm frustrated, too," said Coast Guard Commandant Thad Allen. "Nobody likes to have a feeling that you can't do something about a very big problem."

As simple as it may seem, the law prevents the government from just taking over, Allen said. After the 1989 Exxon Valdez spill in Alaska, Congress dictated that oil companies be responsible for dealing with major accidents — including paying for all cleanup — with oversight by federal agencies.

BP, which is in charge of the cleanup, said it will be at least Tuesday before engineers can shoot mud into the blown-out well at the bottom of the Gulf, yet another delay in the effort to stop the oil.

A so-called "top kill" has been tried on land but never 5,000 feet underwater, so scientists and engineers have spent the past week preparing and taking measurements to make sure it will stop the oil that has been spewing into the sea for a month. They originally hoped to try it as early as this weekend.

BP spokesman Tom Mueller said there was no snag in the preparations, but that the company must get equipment in place and finish tests before the procedure can begin.

"It's taking time to get everything set up," he said. "They're taking their time. It's never been done before. We've got to make sure everything is right."

Crews will shoot heavy mud into a crippled piece of equipment atop the well, which started spewing after the drilling rig Deepwater Horizon exploded April 20 off the coast of Louisiana, killing 11 workers. Then engineers will direct cement at the well to permanently stop the oil.

BP, which was leasing the rig and is responsible for the cleanup, has tried and failed several times to halt the oil.

Chief Operating Officer Doug Suttles said Friday that a mile-long tube inserted into the leaking pipe is sucking about 92,400 gallons of oil a day to the surface, a figure much lower than the 210,000 gallons a day the company said the tube was sucking up Thursday. Suttles said the higher number is the most the tube has been sucking up at any one time, while the lower number is the average.

Crews have been using oil-soaking booms to corral the spill, and BP said Saturday that booms made of hair would not be used because they don't absorb enough oil and sink too quickly.

The company has conceded that more oil is leaking than its initial estimate of 210,000 gallons a day total, and a government team is working to get a handle on exactly how much is flowing. Even under the most conservative estimate, about 6 million gallons have leaked so far, more than half the amount spilled by the Exxon Valdez.

On Saturday, the blossoming investigation into the spill progressed when President Barack Obama announced that former Florida Sen. Bob Graham and former EPA Administrator William K. Reilly will lead a presidential commission probing the spill.

Graham, a Democrat, is a former Florida governor and senator. Reilly ran the Environmental Protection Agency under Republican President George H.W. Bush. His tenure at the agency included the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill in Alaska. Obama intends to name five others to the panel.

Meanwhile, frustrated local and state officials were also waiting for the Army Corps of Engineers to issue permits so they can build sand berms in front of islands and wetlands to act as buffers between the advancing oil and the wetlands.

In a statement, corps spokesman Ken Holder said officials understand the urgency, but possible environmental effects must be evaluated before even an emergency permit can be issued.

Coast Guard Rear Adm. Mary Landry also took BP to task for not responding aggressively enough to oil coming ashore in Terrebonne Parish, La., to the west of the mouth of the Mississippi River.

Public interest in the spill is high — after lawmakers pressed BP for a live video feed of the leak this week, so many people tried to view it that they crashed the government Web site where it was posted.

BP executives say the only guaranteed solution to stop the leak is a pair of relief wells crews have already started drilling, but the work will not be complete for at least two months.

That makes the stakes even higher for the top kill.

Scientists say there is a chance a misfire could lead to new problems. Ed Overton, a Louisiana State University professor of environmental studies, said the crippled piece of equipment called a blowout preventer could spring a new leak that could spew untold gallons of oil if there's a weak spot that is vulnerable to pressure from the heavy mud.

BP is also developing several other plans in case the top kill doesn't work, including an effort to shoot knotted rope, pieces of tire and other material — known as a junk shot — to plug the blowout preventer, which was meant to shut off the oil in case of an accident but did not work.
OBD

Nukepineisland

Pro Bowler
#31 : May 22, 2010, 04:18:19 PM

Jeb Bush , is a good place to start laying blame on this for me BTW. As governor of Florida when this thing was getting built it was on HIM to protect FLORIDA'S intrests not BP's and we all know how the Bush men feel about oil .

Since the inception of the NFC South the team that finished last in the division has gone to the playoffs the next year...
...and Ive never been one to question history ;)

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#32 : May 23, 2010, 12:02:10 PM

Jeb Bush , is a good place to start laying blame on this for me BTW. As governor of Florida when this thing was getting built it was on HIM to protect FLORIDA'S intrests not BP's and we all know how the Bush men feel about oil .

HUH?

It is Jeb's fault a Louisiana oil well blew?? What was he supposed to do, declare war on La?? Build a wall in the middle of the Gulf to separate Fl. waters from La waters?

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#33 : May 23, 2010, 02:18:43 PM

Jeb Bush is responsible for the Everglades restoration project. 

Nukepineisland

Pro Bowler
#34 : May 23, 2010, 03:04:47 PM

HUH?

It is Jeb's fault a Louisiana oil well blew?? What was he supposed to do, declare war on La?? Build a wall in the middle of the Gulf to separate Fl. waters from La waters?
Its called culpability by complacence Galt .

I am for the most part waaaaaaayy off on my previous post , but I am blind with rage over this thing , and if a dude even smells like an oil-man to me ,at this point I want them thrown out of a helicopter into the mess they helped create .
Jeb Bush is responsible for the Everglades restoration project. 

You mean the same project that has the ARMY corp of engineers dumping Okeechobee's  locks into the Gulf helping to create huge algae blooms causing red-tide ?

Since the inception of the NFC South the team that finished last in the division has gone to the playoffs the next year...

Nukepineisland

Pro Bowler
#35 : May 23, 2010, 03:43:53 PM

Hey Galt is this what you meant by greed being good ?

What spill? Rig owner approves $1 billion dividend to shareholders

By John Byrne
Monday, May 17th, 2010 -- 10:11 am

Five days after appearing before Congress to testify about its responsibility in one of the worst oil spills in US history, the Swiss company that owned and operated the oil rig that sunk into the Gulf of Mexico announced that it would shell out $1 billion in dividends to shareholders.

The revelation that Transocean is distributing a $1 billion profit to shareholders as one of its drill sites leaks millions of gallons of oil into the sea is sure to inflame an already smarting debate over offshore drilling and the company's role.

Transocean has passionately argued that they don't share financial responsibility for the disaster. A clause in a contract they had with BP says that the oil company is obligated to pay for any environmental damage, even though Transocean actually owned the rig. BP was leasing the rig from Transocean at the time of the accident.

Transocean's distribution to shareholders was done quietly on Friday at a "closed door meeting." The company had previously announced that they would vote on the dividend at the event.

To put the distribution in perspective, the amount of profit that Transocean plans to pay out in the next year is half of what Exxon ultimately paid for the Exxon Valdez disaster off the Alaska Coast.
Story continues below...

It's also more than double what BP has said they've spent on the cleanup to date.

The company also made a paper gain from their insurance carrier after the Deepwater Horizon rig collapsed into the ocean aflame.

Transocean had insured the rig for $560 million, but apparently never spent that much money actually building it. The company's CEO told investors on a recent conference call that the firm had book a $270 million "accounting gain" on the difference between the real value of the rig and the amount that they'd insured it for.

Since the rig collapsed, the company said they've already received $401 million from their insurance policy.

The Associated Press also notes that "Transocean moved to Switzerland two years ago to protect its low corporate tax rate, and few in the city had heard of the company, even three weeks after the April 20 blast that resulted in more than 4 million gallons (15 million liters) of oil pouring into the Gulf of Mexico from the well drilled by the BP-leased rig. Eleven workers were killed in the explosion."

"Steven Newman ignored questions from reporters as he arrived and left the Park Hotel in the Swiss town of Zug, a few miles from the company's headquarters," AP added.

In a brief press release on their website, the firm noted the terms of the dividend, expected to be paid out to shareholders in four increments over the next year.

"Shareholders also authorized the Board of Directors to make a cash distribution to shareholders in the form of a par value reduction in the aggregate amount of 3.44 Swiss francs ("CHF") equal to approximately USD 3.11 per issued share to be calculated and paid in four quarterly installments," the release said. "Based on the total number of issued shares, including treasury shares, the distribution is approximately USD 1.0 billion."

It adds, "The Board of Directors expects to set the respective payment dates of the four installments in July 2010, October 2010, January 2011 and April 2011, or as soon after each of the four periods as is practicable. The actual installment payments will be subject to the satisfaction of applicable Swiss law requirements."

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#36 : May 23, 2010, 06:14:54 PM

You mean the same project that has the ARMY corp of engineers dumping Okeechobee's  locks into the Gulf helping to create huge algae blooms causing red-tide ?

To restore the Everglades it has already been accepted there will be short term ecological trade offs for the long term ecological gain when the Everglades is back to its near strength.

FortMyersDave

Pro Bowler
#37 : May 23, 2010, 06:28:24 PM

I am beyond words how mad I am over this thing . Rand Paul you are a **CENSORED** , ACCIDENT ! Screw you Pal , locking your keys in the car is a accident . This is a unmitigated disaster .

If the tools on capital hill were doing something other than gathering funds for their reelection campaigns , waging illegal wars OVER OIL ,setting the constitution on fire, cheating on their spouses etc , etc , WHEN IF THEY WERE DOING WHAT WE PAY THEM FOR ,THIS WOULD HAVE NEVER HAPPENED!!!

Why was this Piece of crap built in the first place ? OIL ! OIL! OIL ! OIL ! Drill baby drill , said the high functioning retard from Alaska . Yeah you flipping Moron drill because the whole oil thing has been treating us so great lately .

How about a real idea ;  most here on the boards live in FL , you know the SUNSHINE state why not have ?solar powered battery chargers for cars , wind farms , tidal power plants , the Gulf stream provides enough energy ALONE to take a 1/3 of the state off the grid , Composting yard and food waste keeps garbage trucks off the road and composted soil works far better than fertilizers .high speed mass transit systems and geothermal power plants. (which BTW the earths core provides enough energy to power the entire planet a thousand times over FOREVER .Look it up this is a FACT.)

In spite of all these "green" crap they are selling people , no real change to the system present has been initiated and that to me is a very real tragedy by itself let alone with A GIGANTIC natural distaster on top of it.   

ANY one of these options are available for us and the oil companies and car manufactures and plenty of others have had the bureaucrats sitting on their hands for AT LEAST the last the last thirty years. And because of that, this is what we get . I could puke .How long has it been since the Exxon-Valdez , nothing changes . [banghead]

They let the sugar companies do whatever they wanted for years and now the everglades and lake Okeechobee have been on the verge TOTAL ecological collapse , but don't worry the tax payers are cleaning that up too . They ruined the land , sold it back to us for a profit and moved to countries where they can do the same thing without any pesky oversight.

Same as it ever was though, the feds let the Rosen brothers level , dredge , and burn what was a beautiful place and turn it into the cesspool that is now Cape Coral in the 50s. My Father was a kid on the east coast when they were doing this and some days the smoke from the "controlled" burns actually made it over to the other coast .   

In my short life around the water; I've seen the game fish dwindle , the scallop beds disappear , water quality go to used toilet water , green seaweed beds EVERYWHERE covered in algae from lawn fertilizers and thus weakening that entire vital part of the ecology of Florida's estuaries . The loggerhead turtles have all but disappeared, The mullet used to roll so thick at redfish pass on captiva that I could hear them from my back porch in st james city FIVE MILES AWAY !

And now this , I am despondent .

My father , my uncles , my friends fathers and other elders around here all have told me on numerous occasions that Florida now is nearly unrecognizable to them , And I am just so damn worried how it'll be when my kids are my age .

It just kills me I love this place so much , and people move down here and they want it to be like Ohio , Michigan , New York ANYTHING but Florida.  Well congratulations carpet-baggers this clusterfrack is a definite step in the right direction because you couldn't pay me enough money to swim in the Hudson , and if we keep it up my kids will be saying the same thing about the Peace , Caloosahatchee  and most other rivers in Florida.  [banghead]

That picture makes me wanna puke. I grew up in the water, and i try to take my kids there as much as possible. Just sad to see this going on no matter who is to blame.
:( I know exactly what you mean .
Why would anyone blame the Messiah for this?  His hands are clean with BP, right?

This is obviously Bush's fault as well.

It's a systemic failure of our governments for years if not decades
+1

If I could I'd ask EVERY person in Florida what they thought of this and if the answer was anything short of pure outrage and absolute sadness I would have them thrown out of the state FOREVER.
Great Post NPI: I agree with you 100 ****ing %!  I grew up in Temple Terrace and have lived on the SunCoast my whole life (with a few years away in Alabama in the early '90s) and have been appalled by how much development has ****ed up the environment.  Cape Coral with those damned Rosen @-holes is a great point, they bascically did a scorched earth to 100 square miles of land to creat a "water-wonderland", North Port, Golden Gate, Port Charlotte and even New Tampa are other examples of scorch and burn...   The big O to the east is teaming with runoff from Big Sugar which in turn chokes off the Caloosahatchie (do the Army Corp even dump into the St Lucie canal???) and the Peace River gets runoff via Big Phosphate inland.  Man I love canoeing the Peace, it is a great way to get away for a day or a weekend, buteven it is not how I remember it as a child in the '70s.  And don't bring up FishEating Creek with me, what a beautiful spot in Highlands/Glades County!  Those damn Lykes Bros were complicet in trying to keep everyone from enjoying Florida as it should be by saying the creek was in-navigable to keep people out.   It is sad that so much has changed in the past 30 years, most say its progress, but I say it sucks!!!  [banghead]

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#38 : May 23, 2010, 06:34:05 PM

Man I love canoeing the Peace, it is a great way to get away for a day or a weekend, buteven it is not how I remember it as a child in the '70s. 

Man, that brings back memories.  I used to love canoeing the Peace as well.  Sad to hear it's not the same.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#39 : May 23, 2010, 06:34:31 PM

That guys voice is sooo annoying.

Wasn't it a chick?

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#40 : May 23, 2010, 09:26:25 PM

Hey Galt is this what you meant by greed being good ?

By John Byrne
Monday, May 17th, 2010 -- 10:11 am

Five days after appearing before Congress to testify about its responsibility in one of the worst oil spills in US history, the Swiss company that owned and operated the oil rig that sunk into the Gulf of Mexico announced that it would shell out $1 billion in dividends to shareholders.

The revelation that Transocean is distributing a $1 billion profit to shareholders as one of its drill sites leaks millions of gallons of oil into the sea is sure to inflame an already smarting debate over offshore drilling and the company's role.

Transocean has passionately argued that they don't share financial responsibility for the disaster. A clause in a contract they had with BP says that the oil company is obligated to pay for any environmental damage, even though Transocean actually owned the rig. BP was leasing the rig from Transocean at the time of the accident.

Transocean's distribution to shareholders was done quietly on Friday at a "closed door meeting." The company had previously announced that they would vote on the dividend at the event.

To put the distribution in perspective, the amount of profit that Transocean plans to pay out in the next year is half of what Exxon ultimately paid for the Exxon Valdez disaster off the Alaska Coast.
Story continues below...

It's also more than double what BP has said they've spent on the cleanup to date.

The company also made a paper gain from their insurance carrier after the Deepwater Horizon rig collapsed into the ocean aflame.

Transocean had insured the rig for $560 million, but apparently never spent that much money actually building it. The company's CEO told investors on a recent conference call that the firm had book a $270 million "accounting gain" on the difference between the real value of the rig and the amount that they'd insured it for.

Since the rig collapsed, the company said they've already received $401 million from their insurance policy.

The Associated Press also notes that "Transocean moved to Switzerland two years ago to protect its low corporate tax rate, and few in the city had heard of the company, even three weeks after the April 20 blast that resulted in more than 4 million gallons (15 million liters) of oil pouring into the Gulf of Mexico from the well drilled by the BP-leased rig. Eleven workers were killed in the explosion."

"Steven Newman ignored questions from reporters as he arrived and left the Park Hotel in the Swiss town of Zug, a few miles from the company's headquarters," AP added.

In a brief press release on their website, the firm noted the terms of the dividend, expected to be paid out to shareholders in four increments over the next year.

"Shareholders also authorized the Board of Directors to make a cash distribution to shareholders in the form of a par value reduction in the aggregate amount of 3.44 Swiss francs ("CHF") equal to approximately USD 3.11 per issued share to be calculated and paid in four quarterly installments," the release said. "Based on the total number of issued shares, including treasury shares, the distribution is approximately USD 1.0 billion."

It adds, "The Board of Directors expects to set the respective payment dates of the four installments in July 2010, October 2010, January 2011 and April 2011, or as soon after each of the four periods as is practicable. The actual installment payments will be subject to the satisfaction of applicable Swiss law requirements."

Management giving shareholders a dividend isn't greed, it is a common American tradition called "buying votes". "maybe if we give the shareholders a big dividend then maybe they won't vote us out for gross incompetence" is a CYA saying not a greedy saying.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#41 : May 25, 2010, 03:12:49 AM

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-oil-spill-20100523%2C0%2C907236.story
BP refuses EPA order to switch to less-toxic oil dispersant

BP is walking all over our government in more ways than one. 

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#42 : May 25, 2010, 04:02:30 AM

Venice, Louisiana -- Oil company BP is expected to brief reporters Tuesday morning about its next attempt to contain the gushing oil in the Gulf of Mexico -- a maneuver called "top kill" that it plans to implement the following day.

All previous attempts by the company to cap the spill have failed, and BP CEO Tony Hayward said the "top kill" maneuver will have a 60 to 70 percent chance of success when it is put in place as early as Wednesday morning.

The procedure has successfully worked on above-ground oil wells in the Middle East, but has never been tested 5,000 feet underwater.

Public patience was wearing thin 36 days into the spill, as oil sloshed ashore on Louisiana's barrier islands and seeped into marshes around the mouth of the Mississippi River.

"BP We Want Our Beach Back" read one of many signs posted in Grand Isle, Louisiana.

State and parish leaders have demanded the federal government approve their plan to dredge up walls of sand to close channels between the Gulf and coastal estuaries.

They said those plans have been held up by the Army Corps of Engineers, the Coast Guard and BP.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Gary Locke on Monday declared a fishery disaster in the Gulf of Mexico.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has closed nearly 20 percent of the commercial and recreational fisheries in the area because of the spill, and Locke's declaration will allow the federal government to give Gulf states additional resources to soften the blow.

Fishing is a $2.4 billion industry in the Gulf states.

With the Obama administration under increasing criticism for its handling of the spill, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said the government considers BP the responsible party.

"But we are on them, watching them," she said after a flyover of the affected area Monday.

Republican Strategist Mary Matalin -- who herself toured the damage by boat Sunday -- said the White House should cease "saying they have their boot on the neck of BP. They don't have a ballet slipper on the neck of anybody."

Presidential historian Doug Brinkley -- a longtime resident of New Orleans, Louisiana -- warned Obama's political stock could hinge on the administration's response.

"I think that the President has to get control over this situation," he said Monday night. "Right now there is a feeling in the country that BP's in charge, but BP is the one that has been grossly negligent."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/05/25/gulf.oil.spill/index.html?section=cnn_latest

bucsense

Practice Squad

#43 : May 25, 2010, 07:05:14 AM

Meanwhile, our Interior Sec. has his boot on BP's neck....What's his name......Salazaramhad?

Watch the selloff on Wall Street today folks........

Nicodemus

Pro Bowler

#44 : May 25, 2010, 07:50:37 AM

We had some footage of the 3 execs from BP, Haliburton and Transocean pointing fingers at each other and playing the blame game on UK tv. My girlfriend summed it up nicely by saying that "all 3 should be shown french revolution justice and sent to the guilotine, then the next 3 execs should be brought in and get to stare at the headless corpses while being quietly asked how they are going to fix it."

Although BP have said they will cover the costs they haven't admitted too much in the way of responsibility, and as far as I can tell neither of the other 2 companies have said much at all. Seems there is only really one thing you guys could possibly do and that is to collect all the oil covered flora and fauna off the beaches, bag it up and deliver it to the front yards of the execs, congress and every oil profiteer you can find.. and rub thier noses in it.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BP Isn't BOOMING ! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools