Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Winslow does not think he is a top 5 TE yet. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: May 30, 2010, 01:21:03 PM

http://chat.nfl.com/front/index/935

D,Jones, Detroit,MI4:41 PM ET

Hey Kellen hows it going,I have a goog questoin here, Do you Believe your 1 of the top TEs in the game, And What do you think Tampa Bay need to do to make the playoffs?

Kellen Winslow, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

No, I'm not there yet. The top 5 are Jason Witten, Tony Gonzalez, Antonio Gates, personally I like Tony Scheffler and either Owen Daniels or Jeremy Shockey. As for your second part, the element with Josh and the young defense and receivers, we're headed in the right direction. We're not that far off.

Source:   NFL.com

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#1 : May 30, 2010, 01:27:33 PM

He's really right, he's a top 10 guy but not top 5 until Gonzo and Gates go away - mostly because he's more one dimensional that a lot of those guys. A lot like Dallas Calrk you almost want to call them WR more than TE's.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#2 : May 30, 2010, 01:31:20 PM

Shockey has been only marginally relevant for a while now.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#3 : May 30, 2010, 01:46:17 PM

I'd go:

1.  Jason Witten
2.  Antonio Gates
3.  Dallas Clark
4.  Owen Daniels
5.  Vernon Davis (edit - forgot about him)
6.  Tony Gonzalez
7.  Kellen Winslow

X Factor

Starter
#4 : May 30, 2010, 01:51:34 PM

Shockey is not even a top 10 guy... Gimme G. Olsen, Cooley, V. Davis, Celek, Z. Miller along with the usual suspects over Shockey, and even Scheffler...  Come on Kellen, you actually think Tony Scheffler is even close to you??? lol... Scheffler is not even a top 15 guy...

Personally I would say there are only 4 guys that I would rank higher then Winslow - Witten, Gates, Clark, Gonzalez
But you could make the argument for Vernon Davis, Daniels, Celek being better then Winslow right now also.. Still a top 10 TE and if we can get a WR that is a legit threat with a improved Freeman he can easily be a top 5 guy..

Mike Williams by Xfactor32, on Flickr

s0uthFLbucfan

Starter

#5 : May 30, 2010, 02:05:20 PM

I K2, my fav player on the team but as far as tight ends im going

1. Witten (complete TE)
2. Gonzo (goat, but age is getting up there, still super productive)
3. Davis (steped up to a whole new level last season)
4. Gates (one dimensonal, but productive as heck)
5. K2 (I think K2 is the biggest match up nightmare as far as TEs go, but his blocking leaves a lot to be desired)
6. Dallas Clark (smartest TE in the nfl, most productive, but i dont think he can make plays without manning)

Owen Daniels, Celeck, Zach Miller round out the rest, imo

"We're going to be d--- good,"-
Kellen Winslow II. Novemeber 15, 2009

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#6 : May 30, 2010, 02:15:48 PM

I K2, my fav player on the team but as far as tight ends im going

1. Witten (complete TE)
2. Gonzo (goat, but age is getting up there, still super productive)
3. Davis (steped up to a whole new level last season)
4. Gates (one dimensonal, but productive as heck)
5. K2 (I think K2 is the biggest match up nightmare as far as TEs go, but his blocking leaves a lot to be desired)
6. Dallas Clark (smartest TE in the nfl, most productive, but i dont think he can make plays without manning)

Owen Daniels, Celeck, Zach Miller round out the rest, imo

K2 over Clark.....ummm, no. Same guy but Clark is insanely more productive, not damaged and not a dumba$$.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

ilovebeer

Starter

#7 : May 30, 2010, 02:18:14 PM

K2 is more explosive but not nearly as reliable at Dallas. Dallas Clark is insanely good at route running.  Although how much of that is attributed to Manning. 

lowlife

Starter
#8 : May 30, 2010, 02:33:14 PM

Scheff's a saavy player and plays hard.

Davis needs to play at this level for a couple years before you put him in an elite group.
BUT, based solely on 2009, Vernon was the best receiving TE in the league bar none.
Sky's the limit for that kid, best TE prospect I've ever seen coming out.

s0uthFLbucfan

Starter

#9 : May 30, 2010, 04:32:47 PM

K2 is more explosive but not nearly as reliable at Dallas. Dallas Clark is insanely good at route running. Although how much of that is attributed to Manning.

I cant see Dallas dominating a game without Manning, he is an amazing route runner though, and knows how to find soft spots in coverage well.

K2 managed to pull in almost 900 yards with bad to decent QB play all year, while being the only real threat offense wise. I think if you put K2 in that offense with Manning, Wayne and Garcon, you get even better numbers.

It was really neck and neck though

"We're going to be d--- good,"-
Kellen Winslow II. Novemeber 15, 2009

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#10 : May 30, 2010, 06:42:58 PM

What's with all this crappy Witten love?  The dude's consistent, for sure, and a pretty good blocker... but Gates has smoked him in productivity.

Here are two statlines from 2004 - 2009.  Who do you want on your team?

455 receptions | 5834 yards | 57 touchdowns

or

488 receptions | 5618 yards | 26 touchdowns

I don't give a damn how well you block (and Gates is a damn good blocker, to boot), I'm taking the guy with 57 touchdowns in six seasons.

1954papa

Rookie

#11 : May 30, 2010, 06:46:23 PM

Blaze

Keep in mind that Dallas has had other marquee WR's taking possible TD's away from Witten.  Just sayin'.

REMEMBER - Light travels faster than sound....that's why some people appear to be bright until they open their mouth and speak.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#12 : May 30, 2010, 06:57:20 PM

Blaze

Keep in mind that Dallas has had other marquee WR's taking possible TD's away from Witten.  Just sayin'.

Absolutely.  But Gates had LaDainian Tomlinson -- the quickest player to 100 touchdowns, and the single-season TD leader -- on his team as well.

But I agree, the Cowboys had a more... varied... attack.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#13 : May 30, 2010, 06:59:53 PM

I don't give a damn how well you block (and Gates is a damn good blocker, to boot), I'm taking the guy with 57 touchdowns in six seasons.

Gates isn't a good blocker at all, so I don't know where that's coming from.  He's barely better than Winslow.

Witten is far better blocker than Gates is receiver over the other.  That's why Witten is the consensus all-around best TE in the game.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#14 : May 30, 2010, 07:13:54 PM

Here is how PFF has ranked the two over the last three years:

overall          pass             run block

Jason Witten:       4th              2nd                  9th
Antonio Gates:     7th              3rd                   27th

Jason Witten:       4th              2nd                  11th
Antonio Gates:     23rd           11th                 47th

Jason Witten:       1st             13th                  1st
Antonio Gates:      8th             1st                   51st

*They do have Gates as being a good pass blocker, but his run blocking leaves quite a bit to be desired - which is the important blocking aspect for a TE.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Winslow does not think he is a top 5 TE yet. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools