Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pac-16 « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

FortMyersDave

Pro Bowler
#15 : June 05, 2010, 05:13:17 PM

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1090747

if Mizzou and others bail I think there is a decent chance.
I read the same article, but remember that A&M and OU are also mentioned as SEC candidates to create a 14 school SEC, imagine if Bama and Auburn got bumped to the SEC East, a top 25 school could finish 5th in that division.....   

I was thinking Texas or A&M, who used to have a rivalry with Arkansas. If the SEC re-orgs, I think you'll see Vandy gone (they would be a good fit for the Big Ten academically and geographically). I also think they want to somehow bring in Ga. Tech.

I would think, since the SEC has 2 major network deals (CBS, ESPN/ABC) and a minor network, that they could outbid any conference for whoever they wanted if $$$ was the primary concern.

An SEC with Texas, OU, UTAM, and Ga. Tech (and sans Vandy) would be outrageous.
Great concept JG, but can the SEC toss Vandy out like the Big East did to Temple?  Vandy has been as coompetitve as Miss St in football.  But perhaps the academic side of things would attract Vandy to the Big Ten but that makes me wonder if the Big Ten would want a Vandy with no natural rivalry waiting like a Pitt would have with Penn State. 

FortMyersDave

Pro Bowler
#16 : June 05, 2010, 05:20:04 PM

I'm shocked that nobody wants Kansas. They have a monster basketball program and an emerging football program, those are the 2 major cash cows.
That is a very good question.  They have established rivalries with Mizzou and K-State, an excellent B-ball program and as you stated their football team is rapidly gaining respectability.  I simply can not see the Jayhawks playing in a league with UAB, Tulsa, and Houston.  But what if the Big East was fleeced of a Pitt and maybe a Rutgers.  Could KU, K-State and maybe a Memphis be added to the Big East and create something on the lines of the Metro League back in the '80s that had the likes of South Carolina, Ga Tech, Memphis, FSU, VA Tech, Louisville, and Cincy except that the league would play football as well.

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#17 : June 05, 2010, 05:38:27 PM

I'm shocked that nobody wants Kansas. They have a monster basketball program and an emerging football program, those are the 2 major cash cows.
That is a very good question.  They have established rivalries with Mizzou and K-State, an excellent B-ball program and as you stated their football team is rapidly gaining respectability.  I simply can not see the Jayhawks playing in a league with UAB, Tulsa, and Houston.  But what if the Big East was fleeced of a Pitt and maybe a Rutgers.  Could KU, K-State and maybe a Memphis be added to the Big East and create something on the lines of the Metro League back in the '80s that had the likes of South Carolina, Ga Tech, Memphis, FSU, VA Tech, Louisville, and Cincy except that the league would play football as well.

There are no regional ties to the Big East, and there is no way in hell Kansas should have to play college basketball in the Mountain West where they would blow out their opponent every single game.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#18 : June 05, 2010, 08:02:54 PM

If the MWC got Kansas they would become very good in football, e**CENSORED**ally when they add Boise State. Basketball though Kansas would run through that conference every year like Memphis does in C-USA

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#19 : June 05, 2010, 08:55:56 PM

Rumor is they will offer Texas, Texas Tech, A&M, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State this week to join the conference. Power shift big time. But its probably just another rumor like the rest of them

Not sure what will come of it all OBF, but I used to work for the new commissioner of the PAC-10.  Smart guy, I know he's going to at least get yall some Pac-10 tv like the Big-10 soon...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#20 : June 05, 2010, 11:00:24 PM

Rumor is they will offer Texas, Texas Tech, A&M, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State this week to join the conference. Power shift big time. But its probably just another rumor like the rest of them

Not sure what will come of it all OBF, but I used to work for the new commissioner of the PAC-10.  Smart guy, I know he's going to at least get yall some Pac-10 tv like the Big-10 soon...

yeah hes great. Go from Tom Hansen getting booed at the rose bowl well getting inducted to the rose bowl hof, to a commish who I havent heard anything negative about. He's been great so far.

#21 : June 06, 2010, 02:04:17 AM

Big 10 offered the same schools. Sounds like the Big 12 would be gone with left overs joining the ACC and Big East. This would be great for either Pac 10 or Big 10. Ability to recruit in states like Texas would do wonders.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#22 : June 06, 2010, 12:28:25 PM

Not sure what will come of it all OBF, but I used to work for the new commissioner of the PAC-10. Smart guy, I know he's going to at least get yall some Pac-10 tv like the Big-10 soon...

yeah hes great. Go from Tom Hansen getting booed at the rose bowl well getting inducted to the rose bowl hof, to a commish who I havent heard anything negative about. He's been great so far.

He's ethical, loyal, and aggressive.  If it's in the best interest of the Pac-10 it'll get done...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#23 : June 06, 2010, 12:30:42 PM

Big 10 offered the same schools. Sounds like the Big 12 would be gone with left overs joining the ACC and Big East. This would be great for either Pac 10 or Big 10. Ability to recruit in states like Texas would do wonders.

yep, as an Oregon fan I like that because Oregon has had decent success in Texas the last 3 years. Being on TV and the news could only help. And some of the best talent comes out of that area. Getting any team in Texas to join your conference is a win win

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#24 : June 06, 2010, 06:50:11 PM

Scott said the pac-10 will be expanding. Wont say who or anything. Seems like the Texas Legislator wants the pac 10 to take Baylor over CU

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#25 : June 06, 2010, 11:06:30 PM

OBF exactly.... USC and Oregon could hang with Texas in football...

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#26 : June 07, 2010, 11:27:40 AM

Seems like the Texas Legislator wants the pac 10 to take Baylor over CU

HUH? Why would the Texas Legislature care or have a say? Baylor is private.

ranman

Pro Bowler
#27 : June 07, 2010, 03:31:41 PM

Seems like the Texas Legislator wants the pac 10 to take Baylor over CU

HUH? Why would the Texas Legislature care or have a say? Baylor is private.

Because their President - Kenneth Starr = and heavy handed Alum base are pushing the Texas Legislature of which many alumni are current members.. 

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#28 : June 07, 2010, 08:59:18 PM

OBF exactly.... USC and Oregon could hang with Texas in football...

idk depends the year. texas is good. I was talking recruiting

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#29 : June 08, 2010, 12:26:03 AM

When Texas, Oklahoma, and USC dominate this conference every single year are you still going to putting Oregon in the same breath? Come on man. 2nd rate program compared to those, this is horrible for Oregon. Ducks are better off capitalizing on SC's down years.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pac-16 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools