Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: So about Mike Clayton... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

JDouble

Hall of Famer
: June 03, 2010, 11:16:02 PM

So I was just reading an article about how the Bucs will keep Clayton again this year because of the gauranteed money they owe him. I hope it's false. The idea of Clayton lining up at WR this year makes me want to vomit.

IF we are going to keep him on the roster purely because of money, I have a suggestion. It has been suggested before, but I think it makes alot of sense. Make him a TE.

1. Clayton excells at blocking. It would makes sense that he would be a good blocking TE.

2. Clayton is 6'4" 220 lbs. He would need to gaine atleast 10lbs, maybe even 20lbs, but he has the frame to physically be a TE.

3. We need a good TE. Last year our run game suffered mostly becuase of our poor run blocking by our TEs. If Clayton is such an outstanding blocker, would he not be ab upgrade over Stevens or Gilmore? Also, if Winslow goes down with injury, we have no other pass cathing TE to fill in.

4. Clayton sucks as a WR becuase he lacks the speed and quickness to seperate from DBs. There is a good chance that he has enough speed and quickness to sperate from LBs though, which is what he'd be facing as a TE.

5. Lastly, it would be an awesome story for Clayton to go from being the most hated WR in Bucs history, to being an outstanding contributer as a TE.

So that's what I think should happen. Of course they should have told him he was going to be a TE about 3 months ago so he could have been hitting the HGH and bulking up, but better late than never.

Obamessiah

Pro Bowler

#1 : June 03, 2010, 11:17:27 PM

It seems like the higher his weight, the more poorly he has performed.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#2 : June 03, 2010, 11:20:51 PM

At reciever. Wouldn't know about TE unless they tried it.

Hell. If he still sucks as a pass catching tight end, use him strictly as a blocking TE.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#3 : June 03, 2010, 11:25:40 PM

Seems to be the case.

Not a fan of the dude, as you all know.

Sick of his excuses, the way he threw Gruden under the bus was deplorable, check in the bank comment was incredibly stupid, his play has been poor, yada yada...

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#4 : June 03, 2010, 11:26:40 PM

At reciever. Wouldn't know about TE unless they tried it.

Hell. If he still sucks as a pass catching tight end, use him strictly as a blocking TE.
He wouldn't be any better at chipping than Winslow, IMO.  He can blindside a cornerback or a safety, but you match him up with a bigger player, say a DE, or a linebacker, and he would get manhandled, IMO.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#5 : June 03, 2010, 11:27:41 PM

Yeah, let me reiterate. I think he sucks and should be cut. All I'm saying is if they do refuse to cut him because of his contract, then atleast try him as a TE. He has failed epicly at WR.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#6 : June 03, 2010, 11:32:47 PM

Yeah, let me reiterate. I think he sucks and should be cut. All I'm saying is if they do refuse to cut him because of his contract, then atleast try him as a TE. He has failed epicly at WR.
No, after you keep reshaping the tin, over and over, and you keep coming up with garbage, time to take the tin to the garbage can, and recycle...you don't come up with ideations on how he can be this or that.

To date, and your idea is not original BTW, he has been asked to become a safety, and a TE.  Neither are even close to functional.

Bucz108

Starter

#7 : June 03, 2010, 11:34:22 PM

Hell, at least one team was looking at drafting him as a safety.  Why not try moving him there?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#8 : June 03, 2010, 11:41:29 PM

Hell, at least one team was looking at drafting him as a safety.  Why not try moving him there?
Because we have Jones, Piscitelli, Jackson, and Lynch who can all function better inthat role.

NavyBuc19

Hall of Famer
#9 : June 03, 2010, 11:49:06 PM

Michael Clayton only exists on this team because we as fans keep talking about him.

He will not be on this team. He doesn't deserve to be. Way I see it, the Glazers and Dominik got suckered big time and basically paid 10 million for a 1 year "franchise tag". We pissed away 19 million for 2 WRs who didnt even combine 1000 yards.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#10 : June 04, 2010, 12:23:46 AM

A couple random thoughts on our own Michael Clayton. A big part of the arguements saying he'll stay on the roster is $$$, plus they are noting what great pre-seasons he has had in the past. So assuming this trend continues, how would we know come regular season if this was deja-vu, or whether he truly had got his stuff together for a good regular season?
     'tis a quandry  ;)
     Also, with all the rookie talent and new vet talent, I would expect Clayton's reps would be significantly fewer than he normally has gotten in the past to allow the new guys to get familiar with our playbook. If so, how can Clayton have a "great pre-season" if he doesn't get many reps??

Hate

Hall of Famer
#11 : June 04, 2010, 12:29:07 AM

IF we are going to keep him on the roster purely because of money, I have a suggestion. It has been suggested before, but I think it makes alot of sense. Make him a TE.

Regardless of what position he plays, his hands are still made of stone. If he can't catch, he may as well bulk up and play guard.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#12 : June 04, 2010, 12:31:25 AM

If he has to stay on the team, I'd rather he not do anything. I don't want him to stick around another season with the excuse that he was just learning a new position.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#13 : June 04, 2010, 08:17:47 AM

Quote from: JDouble
Clayton excells at blocking. It would makes sense that he would be a good blocking TE.

John Gilmore and Ryan Purvis are better blockers in my opinion than Clayton, even Winslow and Stevens perhaps.

Clayton is 6'4" 220 lbs. He would need to gaine atleast 10lbs, maybe even 20lbs, but he has the frame to physically be a TE.

I don't think he'll be able to gain that much weight, at least not in muscle mass. He's pretty good at getting cheeseburger weight though. (See Sophomore Season)

We need a good TE. Last year our run game suffered mostly becuase of our poor run blocking by our TEs. If Clayton is such an outstanding blocker, would he not be ab upgrade over Stevens or Gilmore? Also, if Winslow goes down with injury, we have no other pass cathing TE to fill in.

I don't agree with this at all. Our running game suffered last season for a variety of reasons. A Zone-Blocking scheme which was a novel idea failed miserably, and that starts with the front 5. I would say that if anything, coupled with losing once rising star, Aaron Sears to "injury" would have been key causes in the failure of our run game.

Clayton sucks as a WR becuase he lacks the speed and quickness to seperate from DBs. There is a good chance that he has enough speed and quickness to sperate from LBs though, which is what he'd be facing as a TE.

At 220lbs, I think I can agree here. But if he is to gain weight, chances are, he'll be slower. I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Lastly, it would be an awesome story for Clayton to go from being the most hated WR in Bucs history, to being an outstanding contributer as a TE.

If he contributes in any way, it certainly would be a great story. As of right now, the most awesome story I think I could possibly read on Michael Clayton is that he would be released.

RHBucsFan

Pro Bowler

#14 : June 04, 2010, 08:26:59 AM

there is no reason to keep him on the team. He is horrible and will only take away reps from someone that actually has the potential to be a contributor to the current AND future of this team. He is an excuse machine. We've heard them all for the past 6 years.
This regime canned their offensive and defensive coords and cited that they were better off coming clean with their mistakes and moving on....time to use the same reasoning here. The mistake in signing him before last season is done; time to fix it.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: So about Mike Clayton... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools