Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: So about Mike Clayton... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

nybucsfan

Rookie

#15 : June 04, 2010, 09:54:35 AM

So I was just reading an article about how the Bucs will keep Clayton again this year because of the gauranteed money they owe him. I hope it's false. The idea of Clayton lining up at WR this year makes me want to vomit.

IF we are going to keep him on the roster purely because of money, I have a suggestion. It has been suggested before, but I think it makes alot of sense. Make him a TE.

1. Clayton excells at blocking. It would makes sense that he would be a good blocking TE.

2. Clayton is 6'4" 220 lbs. He would need to gaine atleast 10lbs, maybe even 20lbs, but he has the frame to physically be a TE.

3. We need a good TE. Last year our run game suffered mostly becuase of our poor run blocking by our TEs. If Clayton is such an outstanding blocker, would he not be ab upgrade over Stevens or Gilmore? Also, if Winslow goes down with injury, we have no other pass cathing TE to fill in.

4. Clayton sucks as a WR becuase he lacks the speed and quickness to seperate from DBs. There is a good chance that he has enough speed and quickness to sperate from LBs though, which is what he'd be facing as a TE.

5. Lastly, it would be an awesome story for Clayton to go from being the most hated WR in Bucs history, to being an outstanding contributer as a TE.

So that's what I think should happen. Of course they should have told him he was going to be a TE about 3 months ago so he could have been hitting the HGH and bulking up, but better late than never.

Blocking a 190lb CB is so much different than a 270lb DE. He would get his ass handed to him on EVERY play. He needs to gain about 30lb of muscle to be considered a small TE. BTW he still can't catch! So now we have a TE who is to small to actually block a d-lineman and a TE who can't catch. I'm falling to see why we would want to do this?

We tried something like this on my college football team. We had a big, strong, and fast WR who tried to move to TE. Didn't work, he had no idea how to come out of a stance and block people, not to mention stalk blocking is so much different than hitting someone in the chest plate and driving them out of a hole. It didn't happen for this guy and it won't happen for Clayton. This is not Madden folks.

Got_Spleen

Starter

#16 : June 04, 2010, 10:24:01 AM

My boy, Skillet......sucks.

white dragon

Practice Squad

#17 : June 04, 2010, 10:30:48 AM

the premise that we need a pass catching te is completely moot when talking about clayton

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer

#18 : June 04, 2010, 11:31:31 AM

Too small for TE
Not been effective heavier
Doesn't have blocking skills for LBs who are bigger
Have not heard about him getting reps in OTAs
Horrible WR
Paid too much
Obnoxious comments
Threw Gruden under the bus ( that pissed me off )

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#19 : June 04, 2010, 01:12:55 PM

Quote from: JDouble
Clayton excells at blocking. It would makes sense that he would be a good blocking TE.

John Gilmore and Ryan Purvis are better blockers in my opinion than Clayton, even Winslow and Stevens perhaps.

they just are better blocker regardless of your opinion. Gilmore is actually a pretty good blocking TE. Purvis seems to be as well, but i dont know as much about him. Both are better than Clayton though for sure. Clayton is a downfield blocker, not a LOS blocker.

If the Bucs keep him for his $$$(i dont think they will), he will be the highest paid waterboy in the NFL.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#20 : June 04, 2010, 01:21:49 PM

As has been said...

There's a big difference between crack-backing a Chris Gamble or a Scott Fujita, versus nailing a reach block on an end like Julius Peppers.

Clayton's an impact blocker.  Full speed, shoulders low, no fear -- he's a beast.  But when it comes to hand placement, footwork, timing, and awareness, well... we may as well stick Ronde at tight end.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#21 : June 04, 2010, 01:29:19 PM

Quote from: Blaze688
... we may as well stick Ronde at tight end.

I wonder...

obuc

Starter

#22 : June 04, 2010, 01:41:53 PM

If there is an opening for special teams keep him around but dont waste a wide out spot on him.

NavyBuc19

Hall of Famer
#23 : June 04, 2010, 03:17:11 PM

( okay, he can have one last lunch in the team cafeteria, to go )

No. We need that to go to our Resident Lazy Fat Arse Donald Penn!

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#24 : June 04, 2010, 03:22:07 PM

i doubt clayton will be back. If he is allowed back I hope he plays well. Hes been a waste of roster spot for a few years now and if he is actually on the team I hope he does well. Plain and simple. Of course I will still disagree that he is on the team but I will still have high hopes for the guy.

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#25 : June 04, 2010, 03:33:15 PM

Clayton is still on the roster because it is unknown what Reggie Brown, Arrelious Benn, and Mike Williams can do this season. If all 3 of those guys show in training camp and in preseason that they are going to be contributors, then those 3 with Stovall and Stroughter should be enough to move on from Clayton, with the 6th WR being Spurlock, Bradley or some other fringe player.

TheShadow

Hall of Famer

#26 : June 04, 2010, 10:50:33 PM

The Op needs to quit believing every thought he has is thread worthy or hasn't been beaten to death here in the past.

We're stuck for the $3M already. Not another dime I say. Work his butt off and cut him right before the season.

Quit beefing about the past and start hoping for the future

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#27 : June 05, 2010, 09:27:46 AM

The Op needs to quit believing every thought he has is thread worthy or hasn't been beaten to death here in the past.

We're stuck for the $3M already. Not another dime I say. Work his butt off and cut him right before the season.

It's the off season. I'm making conversation. Get off your high horse.

TheShadow

Hall of Famer

#28 : June 06, 2010, 08:28:00 AM

The horse was beaten dead long ago. Just like this thread.

Quit beefing about the past and start hoping for the future

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#29 : June 06, 2010, 05:37:16 PM

If this subject is so dreadful and there is nothing for you to add....why are you posting here again?

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: So about Mike Clayton... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools