Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: New Coaches Poll Out « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

BmoreBucsFan

Rookie

#15 : October 22, 2007, 09:36:29 PM

You do know that WVU has one, if not the fastest team in the NCAA?
I know. But they're flaw is they are small. The major schools get the players who are big and fast. The second tier schools get the leftovers. WVU typically goes after the fast, though small, players. Which is why I said they are flawed.

And if Michigan has so many NFL players, how do they lose to a team with no NFL talent (App State)?
I don't deny the effect of heart, coaching, and preparation on college football players. But the Michigan-App State game as well as the WVU-UGA game were singular events. That is why season stats mean more than a game or two. Basic statistic theory. And Michigan's defense didn't even play that bad against App State. They gave up 387 to their 479. That game was lost on turnovers and special teams.

You just can't base how good a college team is based on how many NFL players they could possiably have.
I keep saying I'm just talking about defense. Would you seriously have a team with zero or one NFL player over the team with 4-5? And not just for one game but a whole season?

WVU doesn't get the "leftovers".  They get players who fit in their system.  How many schools wanted Noel Devine?  How is it that WVU currently has the 20th rated class for 2008?  You don't get that ranking by getting "leftovers".  I think your thinking may be a flawed.  WVU is at a point now where they are a constant top 10 - top 15 team so they will start getting the top recruits.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#16 : October 22, 2007, 09:29:03 PM

I know. But they're flaw is they are small. The major schools get the players who are big and fast. The second tier schools get the leftovers. WVU typically goes after the fast, though small, players. Which is why I said they are flawed.

And if Michigan has so many NFL players, how do they lose to a team with no NFL talent (App State)?
I don't deny the effect of heart, coaching, and preparation on college football players. But the Michigan-App State game as well as the WVU-UGA game were singular events. That is why season stats mean more than a game or two. Basic statistic theory. And Michigan's defense didn't even play that bad against App State. They gave up 387 to their 479. That game was lost on turnovers and special teams.

You just can't base how good a college team is based on how many NFL players they could possiably have. 
I keep saying I'm just talking about defense. Would you seriously have a team with zero or one NFL player over the team with 4-5? And not just for one game but a whole season?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

BmoreBucsFan

Rookie

#17 : October 22, 2007, 08:11:11 PM

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#18 : October 22, 2007, 08:05:19 PM

So your basing everything in college by how much NFL talent you have?  Thats lame.  Its two completely seperate games.  So I guess the NFL talentless WVU team of 2005 that beat the SEC Champ which probably had more NFL talent doesn't mean anything?
In college you can fake the funk on offense with flawed players, but on defense you need legit talent. I'll take the team with the bigger, stronger, faster players every time over the smaller, weaker, slower squad. Big East people sure get a lot of mileage out of a game close to two years ago. Yes WVU won, and congrats for that, but it was ONE game where they still gave up 501 yards of offense to a Georgia team that only got over 400 yards three times in nine games against SEC teams.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

BmoreBucsFan

Rookie

#19 : October 22, 2007, 07:22:28 PM

Team record doesn't reflect talent. You can have two teams with no NFL talent play each other and someone is going to win. This is why I don't take West Virginia's defense seriously:

I think it comes down to talent. Louisville has had 2 defensive players selected on the first day of the draft in the last 5 years. West Virginia has had 1. By contrast USC has had 6, LSU has had 5, Georgia has had 9, Texas has had 8, Ohio State has had 14, Michigan has had 7, Florida has had 6, you get the idea.

So your basing everything in college by how much NFL talent you have?  Thats lame.  Its two completely seperate games.  So I guess the NFL talentless WVU team of 2005 that beat the SEC Champ which probably had more NFL talent doesn't mean anything?

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#20 : October 22, 2007, 06:31:19 PM

Team record doesn't reflect talent. You can have two teams with no NFL talent play each other and someone is going to win. This is why I don't take West Virginia's defense seriously:

I think it comes down to talent. Louisville has had 2 defensive players selected on the first day of the draft in the last 5 years. West Virginia has had 1. By contrast USC has had 6, LSU has had 5, Georgia has had 9, Texas has had 8, Ohio State has had 14, Michigan has had 7, Florida has had 6, you get the idea.

BmoreBucsFan

Rookie

#21 : October 22, 2007, 06:16:43 PM

What great offenses has WV stopped to attain that high ranking?

I guess the same type of teams that USC has either struggled with or loss to.

You can say what you want about WVUs opponents thus far, but I know that none of them are as pathetic as Stanford.
The better question is how many NFL players did West Virginia have to stop amongst Western Michigan, Marshall, Maryland, East Carolina, USF, Syracuse, and Mississippi State?

WVUs oppenents records to this date 19-26
USC oppenents records to this date 13-33

Don't talk to me about a soft WVU schedule when USC has played worse teams thus far.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#22 : October 22, 2007, 06:06:29 PM

You can say what you want about WVUs opponents thus far, but I know that none of them are as pathetic as Stanford. 
The better question is how many NFL players did West Virginia have to stop amongst Western Michigan, Marshall, Maryland, East Carolina, USF, Syracuse, and Mississippi State?

BmoreBucsFan

Rookie

#23 : October 22, 2007, 05:59:35 PM

"What great offenses has WV stopped to attain that high ranking?"

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#24 : October 22, 2007, 05:42:06 PM

Point is that any given Saturday.  That's the point.  You don't know what would happen if USF matched up against USC or any other team in the PAC 10.

#25 : October 22, 2007, 05:31:00 PM

So does Stanford have USC's number?

Did they beat them a couple years in a  row?

They certainly had their number a few weeks ago, now didn't they?

Shouldn't you be off whining somewhere?

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#26 : October 22, 2007, 05:29:03 PM

So does Stanford have USC's number?

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#27 : October 22, 2007, 08:42:24 PM

USF has WV number, plain and simple.  Certain teams have other teams they seem to own, and USF has WV.  It appears Rutgers has USF.  Auburn has Florida.  There are a lot like that.  But you can't take it like if X beat Y and Y beat Z that Y > Z.  It just doesn't work that way.  Football is about matchups, and you can have a team match up very well against one team but can't beat any other teams.  That's the "beauty" of the game.

And if you think USF could hang with USC you need a serious reality check.  I suspect you'll be getting that over the next few weeks.....

LOL!!! Your spend your first paragraph explaining perfectly why your second paragraph is total bullshít ..... You have no realistic idea how USF and USC will matchup until they actually played. That's the beauty of the game.   ;)

#28 : October 22, 2007, 05:16:49 PM

Everybody said that USF would be unable to stop a great WV O what makes you think that Oregon would roll over them?  I do not see Oregon's O being that much better then WV if it is better at all.  It is easy for people to think they will walk over USF because their name hasn't been talked about for 15 years.  The problem is that "NAMES" don't win football games. 

USF has WV number, plain and simple.  Certain teams have other teams they seem to own, and USF has WV.  It appears Rutgers has USF.  Auburn has Florida.  There are a lot like that.  But you can't take it like if X beat Y and Y beat Z that Y > Z.  It just doesn't work that way.  Football is about matchups, and you can have a team match up very well against one team but can't beat any other teams.  That's the "beauty" of the game.

And if you think USF could hang with USC you need a serious reality check.  I suspect you'll be getting that over the next few weeks.....

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#29 : October 22, 2007, 01:25:21 PM

So tell me, how do you think USF would fair in Pac10 or SEC?  I say at least 2-3 losses.  Your thoughts?

I think they lose 1 in the SEC and 0 in the PAC10 ...

Yeah they would come out west to Autzen Stadium and slow down Oregons offense... if you cant go to flippin Rutgers and beat a 1 dimensial offense with an AWFUL QB... what makes you think you will slow down a better RB, a way better QB and do it at one of the loudest stadiums in the country? USF wouldnt beat Oregon, USC or Cal, and probably ASU

You have no idea what would happen if USF played those team.  Nobody thought USF would beat Auburn few though they'd beat West Virginia.  That's why they play games on the field, not message boards.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: New Coaches Poll Out « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools