Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: And so it begins.....expansion « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

original

Pro Bowler

: June 09, 2010, 06:37:41 PM

Nebraska Board of Regents votes to go to Big Ten.  Might be official by Friday.  Reports now that Big Ten has given offer according to ESPNews.  PAC 10 set to pounce.  What will be the next Domino to fall?  I'm grabbing my popcorn because this is getting interesting.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#1 : June 09, 2010, 06:52:42 PM

Big 12 will be dead...

calibucfan15

Starter

#2 : June 09, 2010, 06:57:00 PM

If the Big 12 dismantles and the said teams join the Pac -10 and the Big 10, it'll be interesting to see the whole landscape of college football drastically changed. That'll force the SEC to add teams and it will also leave My team the ND left in a bad situation to where they'll HAVE to join a conference or get left out in the cold. This changes recruiting, historic rivalries, even changes bowl games and makes it easier for a playoff system.

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#3 : June 09, 2010, 07:28:43 PM

I just hope my guys end up in the ACC or SEC so that it'll be easier to travel to games.  The rest is just fluff :)

Whats everyones prediction on the next move?  CU or Notre Dame?

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

ranman

Pro Bowler
#4 : June 09, 2010, 08:29:58 PM

B10 has stated their expansion could come in multiple waves.  I asumed that was lip service to coax ND into a decision, but with this latest "news", I think we'll see Nebraska, followed by Mizzou and then grab some of the BE schools - Cuse and Rutgers.  ND is the fly in the ointment, they come on board and all of this could be moot.

#5 : June 10, 2010, 03:56:39 AM

B10 has stated their expansion could come in multiple waves.  I asumed that was lip service to coax ND into a decision, but with this latest "news", I think we'll see Nebraska, followed by Mizzou and then grab some of the BE schools - Cuse and Rutgers.  ND is the fly in the ointment, they come on board and all of this could be moot.
We asked ND to join already and I believe they declined.
This is good news for both Pac 10 and Big 10. Once we add teams we will have a conference title game. Not to mention, awesome recruiting states. The left overs will either join the ACC or Big East.

original

Pro Bowler

#6 : June 10, 2010, 08:38:21 AM

On ESPN.com.....With Nebraska apparently headed to the Big Ten, the Pac-10 is poised to become the Pac-16.

Colorado already has received an invitation to join the conference, while five other invitations will be extended to Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech, according to a source familiar with the negotiations.

The coach said the Pac-10 favored Colorado over Baylor because of the Buffaloes' presence in the Denver TV market.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5270048

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#7 : June 10, 2010, 09:24:24 AM

SI has a blurb about A&M talking to the SEC.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andy_staples/06/10/aggies.options/index.html#

Of course, I think at this point everyones talking to everyboy.  Hawaii might be "talking" to the SEC...

www.Atlbucs.com

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#8 : June 10, 2010, 09:49:04 AM

From ESPN insider.

Colorado to accept; rest will follow
8:58AM ET
Pac-10 expansion
Top Email

UPDATE: A source tells Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury News that Colorado "is likely to formally accept" its Pac-10 invitation on Thursday. Although the source hedged a little, Wilner summarizes in stronger language: "I repeat: The Pac-10 is expanding. 100%. Done. Deal."

---

A source tells ESPN.com's Ted Miller that the Pac-10 has already invited Colorado to join the conference, with subsequent invites to out to Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State shortly. The two-step process appears to be designed to ensure that the conference gets the Buffaloes instead of Baylor.

However, a Big 12 source told Kyle Ringo of the Boulder Daily Camera that Texas Gov. Rick Perry has summoned representatives of the Big 12's four Texas schools to a Thursday meeting to discuss keeping the quartet together. It's unclear how much pressure Perry and/or the state legislature could put on Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech if those three were dead set on leaving and if the Pac-10 was dead set against Baylor.

www.Atlbucs.com

ranman

Pro Bowler
#9 : June 10, 2010, 10:58:39 AM

B10 has stated their expansion could come in multiple waves. I asumed that was lip service to coax ND into a decision, but with this latest "news", I think we'll see Nebraska, followed by Mizzou and then grab some of the BE schools - Cuse and Rutgers. ND is the fly in the ointment, they come on board and all of this could be moot.
We asked ND to join already and I believe they declined.
This is good news for both Pac 10 and Big 10. Once we add teams we will have a conference title game. Not to mention, awesome recruiting states. The left overs will either join the ACC or Big East.

Legend,
One outcome from a 16 team conference and the pressure on ND to do something:

You take Michigan, Michigan State and Purdue off the schedule. Pitt would be another Big Ten target likely off the table for the Irish.  Stanford and USC would likely be unavailable due to less non-conference dates available — though the bitter ultimatums are not in play with the Pac 10 and Notre Dame, it may just be a matter of impossible scheduling.
The Irish would have to rethink their path to the BCS. Schools like TCU and Boise State may become regular opponents. They may go after more SEC schools, but that would likely mean home-and-home dates — a scary scenario for Irish boosters who like schedules with the least pain possible.
The ACC may also be a more regular schedule partner, though the BCS prestige is not enough for the Irish.

It's why folks feel like the Irish might finally be forced into a conference.
(bleacher report)

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#10 : June 10, 2010, 11:11:55 AM

Why the hell does the Big Ten not want Kansas? This is mind blowing to me. Kansas is a MAJOR university, they have a strong following. They are nationally recognized in basketball. They are pushing hard for bigger markets which I understand but Kansas makes that conference better than a bigger market does.

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#11 : June 10, 2010, 11:22:48 AM

Why the hell does the Big Ten not want Kansas? This is mind blowing to me. Kansas is a MAJOR university, they have a strong following. They are nationally recognized in basketball. They are pushing hard for bigger markets which I understand but Kansas makes that conference better than a bigger market does.

I think it just shows the difference in revenue associated with the two sports.  Even the top basketball school in the country can't financially compete with a big name/8-9 win football team

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2010/06/04/sec-football-and-basketball-the-revenue-breakdown-or-how-the-pac-10-and-big-12-have-fallen-behind/

www.Atlbucs.com

lowlife

Starter
#12 : June 10, 2010, 11:23:04 AM

It's all about money.
Bringing in Kansas along with Missouri would be nice to maintain that rivalry, but Kansas doesn't bring much when it comes to public intrigue nor add a major market.

Just adds another school that the rest of the league would have to share its money with.

Let's be real, college basketball has nowhere near the amount of national attention of college football.
I don't expect it to mean much, football comes first and foremost.

I'd much rather have Rutgers over Kansas.
Bigger market, same sized schools, just invest $100mil in their facilities, better football team, etc.

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#13 : June 10, 2010, 11:57:44 AM

CU is donezo in the Big 12, it appears.  Let the dominoes fall...
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5271438

www.Atlbucs.com

#14 : June 10, 2010, 01:15:02 PM

I would welcome Kansas into the Big 10, but they would be destroying out basketball team yearly. Pittsburgh wouldn't be bad either. They're on the rise. But overall I would want Texas/Oklahoma over them all.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: And so it begins.....expansion « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools