Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: And so it begins.....expansion « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#15 : June 10, 2010, 01:46:57 PM

How the **CENSORED** is Rutgers a better football program than Kansas? What a ridiculous thing to say. Kansas is PERFECT for the Big 10, they are as marketable as Minnesota, Northwestern, and Iowa are. Hell, they have better football programs than half the teams in the Big 10.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#16 : June 10, 2010, 05:59:20 PM

How the fudge is Rutgers a better football program than Kansas? What a ridiculous thing to say. Kansas is PERFECT for the Big 10, they are as marketable as Minnesota, Northwestern, and Iowa are. Hell, they have better football programs than half the teams in the Big 10.

Rutgers is in a larger TV market... follow the money.

Just like nobody wants Boise State... sure they have been good in football but even when they are in BCS games nobody watches.

FortMyersDave

Pro Bowler
#17 : June 10, 2010, 08:32:52 PM

How the fudge is Rutgers a better football program than Kansas? What a ridiculous thing to say. Kansas is PERFECT for the Big 10, they are as marketable as Minnesota, Northwestern, and Iowa are. Hell, they have better football programs than half the teams in the Big 10.

Just like nobody wants Boise State... sure they have been good in football but even when they are in BCS games nobody watches.
Agreed the only reason Rutgers might get an invite is that they are the gateway into the NY/NJ media market. The arguement against Boise is from what I have read is that they are relatively new as a major university, thus the pundits say their academics are lacking, closer to a state college then a full powered research university.  BYU also ostracized as its teams do not play on Sundays, thus a drag on TV scheduling for basketball. Both lame escuses in my opinion.  Not sure if Utah has scheduling restruictions as their Morman founded counterpart but Salt Lake City is a major media market.....

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#18 : June 10, 2010, 09:02:40 PM

Agreed the only reason Rutgers might get an invite is that they are the gateway into the NY/NJ media market. The arguement against Boise is from what I have read is that they are relatively new as a major university, thus the pundits say their academics are lacking, closer to a state college then a full powered research university.  BYU also ostracized as its teams do not play on Sundays, thus a drag on TV scheduling for basketball. Both lame escuses in my opinion.  Not sure if Utah has scheduling restruictions as their Morman founded counterpart but Salt Lake City is a major media market.....

Utah doesnt... I used to live in the area, its a lot more "liberal", yes it has a heavy mormon presence but its night and day compared to BYU.

Boise State University is awful. Its true that one of the biggest programs at the school is its truck driving program. Recently within (15-20 years) it was a JC.

Based solely on the pac-10/Boise State argument, pac-10 doesnt want them because it already has the Boise market, academics, and many of the key sports the pac-10 has (track etc) they dont field a team. The only positive Boise State really brings is a good football team... and how good would they be no longer having 1 or 2 game season that can be debated. And BSU is undefeated, they still arent moving the tv rating

I think the pac-10 thinks with Utah they can now have the SLC market with the additions of the texas teams and Colorado to the conference. But thats just a guess why they arent after Utah. I personally think Utah would be a great pac-10 team.

FortMyersDave

Pro Bowler
#19 : June 10, 2010, 09:24:34 PM

Utah doesnt... I used to live in the area, its a lot more "liberal", yes it has a heavy mormon presence but its night and day compared to BYU.

Boise State University is awful. Its true that one of the biggest programs at the school is its truck driving program. Recently within (15-20 years) it was a JC.

Based solely on the pac-10/Boise State argument, pac-10 doesnt want them because it already has the Boise market, academics, and many of the key sports the pac-10 has (track etc) they dont field a team. The only positive Boise State really brings is a good football team... and how good would they be no longer having 1 or 2 game season that can be debated. And BSU is undefeated, they still arent moving the tv rating

I think the pac-10 thinks with Utah they can now have the SLC market with the additions of the texas teams and Colorado to the conference. But thats just a guess why they arent after Utah. I personally think Utah would be a great pac-10 team.
On Boise, calling them a state college was a compliment.... I do not know why Utah is not Pac-10 material as the SLC market is a big one... and the Texas schools who cross over will be playing a good # of games in the Pacific Time Zone which has always been a drawback for ratings especially for the night games, not as much exposure  with the East writers.  One does not stay up that late unless you are a diehard who watches the 10/11PM games and have a bet hinging on the Hawaii game kicking off at 1AM.  ;)....  The old east coast bias: did not see that late game etc, the texas and OK schools need to look at that as well. ....

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#20 : June 10, 2010, 10:32:56 PM

Rutgers doesn't get any New York viewers. If the Pac-10 were to add any of the MU-KU-KSU bunch it would have to be MU, you get the St. Louis and Kansas City markets.

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#21 : June 11, 2010, 12:01:11 AM

LOL at Rutgers getting NY viewers, they barely get New Jersey. Hell, most of Jersey is Syracuse's market. Kansas has a whole damn state behind them, just like several other schools in the Big Ten. I dont understand that move at all, you can keep saying big market all you want but I fail to see how Rutgers  is more lucrative than Kansas.

lowlife

Starter
#22 : June 11, 2010, 12:49:43 PM

Kansas may have the whole state, but that's not saying much. Plus there's KSU.

Syracuse football doesn't even register in the NY market, it's basketball team has a decent impact. But that's not where the money is.

Rutgers would give Penn State a nearby rival. PSU already has a presence in the NY market, combine that with a yearly game with Rutgers (NY/NJ's only legit FBS program) and there's a lot of money to be made.

While Kansas isn't anything special as a program nor does it have much potential as a market. Why would Delany go through all the rigors and risks of expansion to only marginally improve his league?

#23 : June 12, 2010, 03:51:50 AM

I hope the big ten gets Pittsburgh, Penn St - Pittsburgh rivalry renewed would be awesome.

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#24 : June 11, 2010, 02:52:01 PM

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/06/11/2009414/nebraska-bolts-for-the-big-ten.html

Kind of a foregone conclusion at this point, but Nebraska is out.

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

original

Pro Bowler

#25 : June 11, 2010, 04:19:31 PM

Boise ST now official to the Mountain West Conference.  Looks like they will try to pick up the scraps of the Big 12.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/Boise-State-to-join-Mountain-West-Conference-in-2011-061110

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#26 : June 11, 2010, 04:29:15 PM

LOL at Rutgers getting NY viewers, they barely get New Jersey. Hell, most of Jersey is Syracuse's market. Kansas has a whole damn state behind them, just like several other schools in the Big Ten. I dont understand that move at all, you can keep saying big market all you want but I fail to see how Rutgers  is more lucrative than Kansas.

it's called getting teams on tv.... If your in the area they will show big ten games over big east. It's not about who rutgers draws it's about the big ten getting into the nj/Philly market

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#27 : June 11, 2010, 05:48:10 PM

SI has a blurb about A&M talking to the SEC.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andy_staples/06/10/aggies.options/index.html#

Of course, I think at this point everyones talking to everyboy.  Hawaii might be "talking" to the SEC...

Makes sense the the SEC would want a peice of the Texas TV markets. A&M, UTx or both would give them the Dalllas and Houston markets which are HUGE!

original

Pro Bowler

#28 : June 11, 2010, 07:10:33 PM

Its official, Nebraska is approved as part of Big Ten, begins on July 1, 2011.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/Nebraska-joins-Big-Ten-061110

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#29 : June 11, 2010, 07:49:40 PM

I heard its a done deal.

Texas
Tech
OU
OSU

and if A&M goes to the SEC

its Kansas or Utah. Cal and the other cali schools wont support Baylor.

They will also get 2 BCS berths.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: And so it begins.....expansion « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools