Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: And so it begins.....expansion « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#30 : June 11, 2010, 08:05:58 PM

How would the SEC people feel about MU in that league? I know aTm is listed as a possibility, but what if they brought along MU?

FortMyersDave

Pro Bowler
#31 : June 11, 2010, 08:56:32 PM

How would the SEC people feel about MU in that league? I know aTm is listed as a possibility, but what if they brought along MU?
One of my best friends is a Mizzou fan/alum  and he would love the Tigers going SEC if the Big 12 is done. He hates the Big 10.  I thought if A&M goes SEC they could draw the Sooners, but if not why not Mizzou.  When I grew up in Temple Terrace some of my father's friends were working at Busch and moved there about the same time the brewery/gardens started 1959/1960, many relocated from St. Louis: who you think they cheered for???

FortMyersDave

Pro Bowler
#32 : June 11, 2010, 08:59:29 PM

I heard its a done deal.

Texas
Tech
OU
OSU

and if A&M goes to the SEC

its Kansas or Utah. Cal and the other cali schools wont support Baylor.

They will also get 2 BCS berths.
How can one conference get 2 BCS bids????  If the SEC does not get 2 they will fight that to the death!

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#33 : June 12, 2010, 02:02:52 AM

I heard its a done deal.

Texas
Tech
OU
OSU

and if A&M goes to the SEC

its Kansas or Utah. Cal and the other cali schools wont support Baylor.

They will also get 2 BCS berths.
How can one conference get 2 BCS bids????  If the SEC does not get 2 they will fight that to the death!

Your taking the teams that carried the big 12 and putting them in another BCS conference... having 3 of the top 5 winningest programs in the last 10 years how dare they basically combine 2 leagues and have 2 bcs bids. I think the SEC should get 10 bids.

pac-16=taking the big 12 teams that carried most the weight, and put them with another bcs conference. Its pretty simple why they will get 2.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#34 : June 12, 2010, 09:15:45 AM

Word is that Derrick Brooks has been lobbying for FSU to join the SEC...

ranman

Pro Bowler
#35 : June 12, 2010, 10:07:58 AM

There will be more conferences demanding the two BCS bids once they get beyond 12 teams.  P10, B?, SEC - that is what will force ND to go to the B? in my opinion.  Otherwise they are "locked" out.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#36 : June 12, 2010, 02:27:53 PM

FSU was invited when the SEC expanded in the 90s, they (or Bowden) chose the ACC instead. FSU does have some connections and history with Bama, Auburn, and of course UF, and they are a natural fit (heck, a lot of casual fans think FSU is in the SEC).

But, if the SEC does expand, I think their first target will be (the State of) Texas. The SEC luvs them some money and the Texas TV markets are some of the fattest and juiciest around. A&M is already interested (Gene Stallings is on their Bd of Regents) and U of Texas will have to listen to an offer. Texas may be swayed by the SEC over the PAC-??. Texas would like their own TV network and PAC rules don't allow that (see item 3), but SEC encourages it. Plus away games to Ark, LSU, and the Mississippis are a lot closer (less travel expense) than any of the PAC schools.

From what I've read, the Sooners will do what ever Texas does, so if (big if) the SEC sways Texas (and so far they haven't even mentioned expanding) they would take Ok as a bonus, leaving 2 slots for (most likely) ACC teams with FSU, Clemson, Ga Tech, USF (really a long shot), and Louisville (Miami has said they have no interest, but that probably goes both ways).

Right now, the question is if the SEC even wants to expand. The commish has said the SEC will "wait and see" what happens elsewhere and there is no urgency. http://blog.al.com/solomon/2010/06/sec_reacts_to_pac-10_expansion.html

Florida President Bernie Machen said the SEC would be reactive and not proactive. But what if it appears another conference might grab Texas instead of the SEC?

"I don't know, and that's what we have to decide," Machen said. "We're pretty happy where we are. The revenue is up. Even you guys can add."

FortMyersDave

Pro Bowler
#37 : June 12, 2010, 03:47:48 PM

FSU was invited when the SEC expanded in the 90s, they (or Bowden) chose the ACC instead. FSU does have some connections and history with Bama, Auburn, and of course UF, and they are a natural fit (heck, a lot of casual fans think FSU is in the SEC).

But, if the SEC does expand, I think their first target will be (the State of) Texas. The SEC luvs them some money and the Texas TV markets are some of the fattest and juiciest around. A&M is already interested (Gene Stallings is on their Bd of Regents) and U of Texas will have to listen to an offer. Texas may be swayed by the SEC over the PAC-??. Texas would like their own TV network and PAC rules don't allow that (see item 3), but SEC encourages it. Plus away games to Ark, LSU, and the Mississippis are a lot closer (less travel expense) than any of the PAC schools.

From what I've read, the Sooners will do what ever Texas does, so if (big if) the SEC sways Texas (and so far they haven't even mentioned expanding) they would take Ok as a bonus, leaving 2 slots for (most likely) ACC teams with FSU, Clemson, Ga Tech, USF (really a long shot), and Louisville (Miami has said they have no interest, but that probably goes both ways).

Right now, the question is if the SEC even wants to expand. The commish has said the SEC will "wait and see" what happens elsewhere and there is no urgency. http://blog.al.com/solomon/2010/06/sec_reacts_to_pac-10_expansion.html

Florida President Bernie Machen said the SEC would be reactive and not proactive. But what if it appears another conference might grab Texas instead of the SEC?

"I don't know, and that's what we have to decide," Machen said. "We're pretty happy where we are. The revenue is up. Even you guys can add."
Intersting you mentioned ACC: Justin Pawlowski of WDAE had some cat on his show today saying that Duke/UNC would be the teams the SEC would target.  Big pick up in hoops, decent football from UNC, and Duke football worst then vandy.
We are going to hear a lot of rumors in the next 3 or 4 days.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#38 : June 12, 2010, 07:07:47 PM

Intersting you mentioned ACC: Justin Pawlowski of WDAE had some cat on his show today saying that Duke/UNC would be the teams the SEC would target.  Big pick up in hoops, decent football from UNC, and Duke football worst then vandy.
We are going to hear a lot of rumors in the next 3 or 4 days.

UNC maybe, but not Duke. They bring nothing to the table $$$ wise, a small school with small fan base and no football following. UNC would bring in a decent TV market, but not as big as Ga.Tech's.

The SEC's first and foremost concern is $$$.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#39 : June 13, 2010, 09:50:34 AM

I've got a question...

When these conference expand to 16 teams, how's the schedule going to work?  Afterall, there's only 8 conference games right now.  Does that mean teams like Auburn (in the west) would play Florida even less than they do now? 

That really sucks.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#40 : June 13, 2010, 10:20:55 AM

I've got a question...

When these conference expand to 16 teams, how's the schedule going to work?  Afterall, there's only 8 conference games right now.  Does that mean teams like Auburn (in the west) would play Florida even less than they do now? 

That really sucks.

I'd guess, unless they added a 9th conference game and dropped the permanent opponent. IF adding a 9th conference game was part of expansion, there's be a lot more pressure to add Clemson, Ga Tech, and FSU at least from UF, UGa, and SC. Even then you'd only see UF v Auburn every 4th year (unless Auburn was moved to the East)

matt

Starter

#41 : June 13, 2010, 11:30:20 AM

LOL at Rutgers getting NY viewers, they barely get New Jersey. Hell, most of Jersey is Syracuse's market. Kansas has a whole damn state behind them, just like several other schools in the Big Ten. I dont understand that move at all, you can keep saying big market all you want but I fail to see how Rutgers is more lucrative than Kansas.

You're missing the point about the BTN: they want to get on the basic cable tier in the NYC market. Rutgers joining the conference likely accomplishes this goal. Michigan and Northwestern both have large alumni bases in the market, but you probably still need a local team to get it on the basic tier, which would mean significantly more money to the Big Ten.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#42 : June 13, 2010, 12:03:46 PM

LOL at Rutgers getting NY viewers, they barely get New Jersey. Hell, most of Jersey is Syracuse's market. Kansas has a whole damn state behind them, just like several other schools in the Big Ten. I dont understand that move at all, you can keep saying big market all you want but I fail to see how Rutgers  is more lucrative than Kansas.

They split the state with K-State and the split Kansas City with MU. MU would make more sense TV wise, with KC and St. Louis.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#43 : June 13, 2010, 09:21:26 PM

LOL at Rutgers getting NY viewers, they barely get New Jersey. Hell, most of Jersey is Syracuse's market. Kansas has a whole damn state behind them, just like several other schools in the Big Ten. I dont understand that move at all, you can keep saying big market all you want but I fail to see how Rutgers  is more lucrative than Kansas.

They split the state with K-State and the split Kansas City with MU. MU would make more sense TV wise, with KC and St. Louis.

15% of NJ/NYC > all of Kansas. Plus

You're missing the point about the BTN: they want to get on the basic cable tier in the NYC market. Rutgers joining the conference likely accomplishes this goal. Michigan and Northwestern both have large alumni bases in the market, but you probably still need a local team to get it on the basic tier, which would mean significantly more money to the Big Ten.

original

Pro Bowler

#44 : June 14, 2010, 08:22:39 PM

Now Texas is staying, so the Big 12 with 10 ,Big Ten with 12, and Pac 10 with 11.  Per ESPN.  Iso Confusing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5286672
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: And so it begins.....expansion « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools