Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Penn speaks, but doesn't really say anything. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: June 14, 2010, 11:11:38 AM

Donald Penn speaks, but doesn't really say anything

Posted by Mike Florio on June 14, 2010 9:53 AM ET
Source:   PFT

Faced with a Tuesday deadline for signing his restricted free agency tender or seeing it drop by $100,000, normally quiet Buccaneers left tackle Donald Penn has given a simple message to the fans, via JoeBucsFan.com.

"Tell the fans thank you for all of their support," Penn said.  "I really appreciate it.  Go Bucs!"

The Bucs have refused to sign Penn to a long-term deal, taking full advantage of his status as a restricted free agent who would have been unrestricted if a salary cap had been in place.  Like many other teams, the Bucs rely upon labor uncertainty in not inking Penn to a long-term deal.

If the Bucs had gotten within sniffing distance of the spending limit in any of the past five years, their reluctance would exhibit some plausibility.  Given the team's recent habits when it comes to paying players, we'd bet more money than the Bucs aren't spending that they're simply choosing to keep the cash in the coffers.

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#1 : June 14, 2010, 11:16:04 AM

Ok, fess up

Which one of you guys is supporting him? Giving him high fives and chest bumps instead of telling him to sign his tender?

jrbuc19

Second String

#2 : June 14, 2010, 11:29:54 AM

y don't we just pay this man?  he has shut down some of the best DEs  in the NFL... 

if every1 is worried about his weight  and the bucs give him a contract like if he doesn't stay under a cert in weight they could fine him or something.. you know like how they give RBS more money if they have a a cert en amount of yards?

Bash

Practice Squad

#3 : June 14, 2010, 12:13:07 PM

Seems that this is the way most, if not all, teams are approaching the RFAs. Every now and then, you see a contract negotiated, but for the most part, there's a lot of Penns in the league. He's still going to be making a lot of money, but nothing like he'd be making if he could sign a new contract. I just hope that these guys don't get serious injuries that would affect their leverage in signing new deals once the time comes.

pancake block

Starter

#4 : June 14, 2010, 12:56:30 PM

i support him and he supports me

RHBucsFan

Pro Bowler

#5 : June 14, 2010, 12:56:38 PM

Penn is a good LT. This franchise is angering him to the point that when his contract is up, he will bolt for any of the other 31 teams, then we will watch him have a productive career as we try to fill his void on the O-Line.

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

#6 : June 14, 2010, 12:59:13 PM

Penn is a good LT. This franchise is angering him to the point that when his contract is up, he will bolt for any of the other 31 teams, then we will watch him have a productive career as we try to fill his void on the O-Line.

It's all $.. No hard feelings. Penn knows that Dom's hands are tied.

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

#7 : June 14, 2010, 01:02:44 PM

That's what I think will happen too. Although, I do think they'll do what they can to keep him right before he takes off. It will probably be way to late for that unless they give him a very fat contract.

..In which case, we'd have to worry about him getting fat again... sigh.

X Factor

Starter
#8 : June 14, 2010, 01:13:59 PM

That's what I think will happen too. Although, I do think they'll do what they can to keep him right before he takes off. It will probably be way to late for that unless they give him a very fat contract.

..In which case, we'd have to worry about him getting fat again... sigh.

If it pans out to where it looks like he will bolt after the season - depending on where we are at record wise by the trade deadline I could see Dom making another trade like he did last year with Gaines... And then taking a OT with our 1st round pick next year..

Man they need to just pay him, he deserves it... 

Mike Williams by Xfactor32, on Flickr

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#9 : June 14, 2010, 01:47:18 PM

Other way around. Bucs have no reason to pay him yet, if he is worth keeping when he is unrestricted then he will be kept.

Doug09

Hall of Famer

#10 : June 14, 2010, 02:09:48 PM

They may have paid him sooner if he didn't just slim down for his contract season. He should have eased up on the food months ago, that shows he's all about him and not the team. They have 400 reasons why not to give the man the money he needs to destroy the local Dunk'n Donuts.

Mind you, this is strictly his off the field concerns. This doesn't factor in his on the field problems.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#11 : June 14, 2010, 03:02:03 PM

y don't we just pay this man?  he has shut down some of the best DEs  in the NFL... 

if every1 is worried about his weight  and the bucs give him a contract like if he doesn't stay under a cert in weight they could fine him or something.. you know like how they give RBS more money if they have a a cert en amount of yards?

the guy also got owned by guy like Wake. Its not just weight as Bench said. Its his inconsistent play, weight, me first attitude, or sitting out knowing full well most of the NFL will not be getting new contracts, and a few other reasons.

If i were MD, i wouldnt think of signing him long term after this year either unless its very reasonable price. All the signs hes given, hes looking for a pay day and the team means little. not a guy to build around.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#12 : June 14, 2010, 03:06:12 PM

While I would like to see him signed either way (Long Term or Tender), it is good to see Dotson has been thrown into the fire with the first stringers.

JC510

Practice Squad

#13 : June 14, 2010, 03:37:24 PM

Instead of re-signing Penn last year Dominik blew over $40,000,000 in 2009 on other contracts. That's not the total amount of the contracts, just the cash paid in 2009.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#14 : June 14, 2010, 05:08:46 PM

Dominik blew over $40,000,000 in 2009 on other contracts. That's not the total amount of the contracts, just the cash paid in 2009.

That can't be true. The Bucs are cheap, remember? They don't pay anybody. It's funny how people shift the argument both ways just so they can have a reason to rag on the organization.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Penn speaks, but doesn't really say anything. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools