Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rumor: Big East to Exand With offers to Memphis and UCF « previous next »
Page: 1

original

Pro Bowler

: June 15, 2010, 12:42:13 PM

With the Moutain West pushing for a BCS Bid, should the Big East strengthen its hold on the BCS Bid they have?  Can they loose it?

I could see the Big east adding enough teams to have a championship game and make scheduling easier.  They should take the top conference USA schools. 

Memphis, East Carolina, UCF and either Marshall, Southern Miss, or Houston.  They should also try to get ND to go all sports.  If they did this, they could go 3 divisions and the non-football schools could have their division, Top six teams play for championships. 

What do you think?

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#1 : June 15, 2010, 02:00:33 PM

I could see the opposite happening. WVU and maybe USF bolting for the ACC especially if the SEC poaches a couple ACC schools (FSU, GT, Clemson)

FortMyersDave

Pro Bowler
#2 : June 15, 2010, 10:37:26 PM

Being a USF alum I would love to see that!  But given what Texas did today I guess that dream will be dead for a year or two until someone elese pushes the envelope. Like SEC going after a Bowden-less FSU (instant rival to Auburn, Bama, UGA and already UF)  and Clemson (who already have UGA and USC as rivals).

original

Pro Bowler

#3 : June 17, 2010, 07:36:49 AM

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_ucf/2010/06/conference-expansion-should-the-big-east-invite-ucf-other-schools-this-month.html

"There has been significant chatter that the near death of the Big 12 has **CENSORED**ed the Big East into more openly considering preemptive expansion."

"Luck believes expansion and realignment will affect the Big East Conference at some point.

He said the Big East is holding a conference call with athletic directors and presidents of affiliated schools later this week. Pastilong said it will include conference expansion and realignment, but Clements called it “not a big deal” and said it was “just a call.”

“The agenda has not been issued to us yet,” Pastilong said. “But any conference calls that take place at this time will talk about realignment.”

Right. Just a phone call."

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#4 : June 17, 2010, 08:49:46 AM

Not dogging wither school, but I don't see how that adds any extra credibility to the conference. I read his blurb on UCF, but it didn't really lay anything valid out. 

For the record, I'm all for the breaking up of the BE if it means that the ACC will scoop the cream off of the top. 

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

original

Pro Bowler

#5 : June 17, 2010, 10:12:07 AM

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/football/big_east_eyes_memphis_central_fla_7vL9S9QMQLAGrEKSvCNsBJ?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=

Big East eyes Memphis, Central Fla.
Last Updated: 7:04 AM, June 17, 2010

Posted: 3:08 AM, June 17, 2010

Comments: 0
| More  Print 
The Big East will issue invitations to Central Florida and Memphis as early as next week, WKMG, a Florida TV station reported last night.

With two more schools, the Big East would become a 10-team football league and an 18-team basketball league.

Central Florida and Memphis are currently in the 12-team Conference USA. Memphis reportedly is interested in joining a larger conference.

Central Florida, located in Orlando, would provide the Big East with a top-20 television market. The addition of Memphis would strengthen an already powerful basketball league.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#6 : June 17, 2010, 01:24:18 PM

"Central Florida, located in Orlando, would provide the Big East with a top-20 television market."

Really?? Would it?

Having a show in a top 20 market and having a show that people watch in a top 20 market are 2 different things.

When it comes to the Orlando TV market, it works like this...UofF, FSU, MIAMI, USF, UCF

I would bet Michigan and OSU pull in more viewers in Orlando than UCF.

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#7 : June 17, 2010, 03:30:35 PM

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/football/big_east_eyes_memphis_central_fla_7vL9S9QMQLAGrEKSvCNsBJ?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=

Big East eyes Memphis, Central Fla.
Last Updated: 7:04 AM, June 17, 2010

Posted: 3:08 AM, June 17, 2010

Comments: 0
| More  Print 
The Big East will issue invitations to Central Florida and Memphis as early as next week, WKMG, a Florida TV station reported last night.

With two more schools, the Big East would become a 10-team football league and an 18-team basketball league.

Central Florida and Memphis are currently in the 12-team Conference USA. Memphis reportedly is interested in joining a larger conference.

Central Florida, located in Orlando, would provide the Big East with a top-20 television market. The addition of Memphis would strengthen an already powerful basketball league.

Big East commissioner John Marinatto and other league officials told FanHouse that an Orlando TV report claiming the Memphis and the University of Central Florida would be invited to join the Big East as soon as next week is inaccurate.

"Those reports are not true," Marinatto (right) told FanHouse Thursday.
[/b]

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/06/17/big-east-dismisses-ucf-memphis-expansion-report/

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#8 : June 17, 2010, 07:47:25 PM

adding those 2?

Maybe Memphis because of basketball but other then that talk about watering down a conference.

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#9 : June 17, 2010, 10:39:43 PM

adding those 2?

Maybe Memphis because of basketball but other then that talk about watering down a conference.

That's why this better just be a rumor .... I could halfway understand if this was a reactive move to replace teams but it makes no sense now. If raids aren't over and the Big East ends up losing some teams, those two will stll be there if they really want to do it.

FortMyersDave

Pro Bowler
#10 : June 18, 2010, 08:58:47 PM

Only way Big East adds those 2 is if Big 10 goes after Pitt and Rutgers, and the Memphis and East Carolina would get invites, not UCF and then it would dilute the conference as Commadant Klink wisely pointed out....

Runole

Hall of Famer
#11 : August 25, 2010, 05:46:37 PM

Personally, I think expanding the Big East to 12 teams is essential for its survival. 

Of course the next step will be the Big 12 and its restoration of a conference championship game with the adding of 2 new teams.

Right now I think the Big 12 is being held together by some extremely suspect IOU's that I really don't see them ever collecting.   If the Big 12 doesn't shore things up I think their house of cards falls apart again.

roaddog

Rookie

#12 : August 25, 2010, 06:43:55 PM

If they would only get serious about fielding a competitive Football squad ... The Big East oughta go after TEMPLE again ... and get a footprint into Philly.

The Big 12 AND the S-trategically E-vasive C-owards are nothing but football frauds ... and if they had the kahunas to play relevant out of conference competition away from their cushy barns on occasion, half of them wouldn't even qualify for all these Bowl Games they have locked themselves into.

The pressure is gonna be on for these so called Big Time programs to actually "Show & Prove" what they're truly about on the field.  With no more than 3 relevant squads in each Conference, the Good Ol' Boy ways of being able to duck people until you get paid to party & play in a Bowl Game is gradually coming to an END!

\"If You STAY Ready ... You Don\'t Hafta Get Ready!\"

Runole

Hall of Famer
#13 : August 25, 2010, 05:46:37 PM

Personally, I think expanding the Big East to 12 teams is essential for its survival. 

Of course the next step will be the Big 12 and its restoration of a conference championship game with the adding of 2 new teams.

Right now I think the Big 12 is being held together by some extremely suspect IOU's that I really don't see them ever collecting.   If the Big 12 doesn't shore things up I think their house of cards falls apart again.

roaddog

Rookie

#14 : August 25, 2010, 06:43:55 PM

If they would only get serious about fielding a competitive Football squad ... The Big East oughta go after TEMPLE again ... and get a footprint into Philly.

The Big 12 AND the S-trategically E-vasive C-owards are nothing but football frauds ... and if they had the kahunas to play relevant out of conference competition away from their cushy barns on occasion, half of them wouldn't even qualify for all these Bowl Games they have locked themselves into.

The pressure is gonna be on for these so called Big Time programs to actually "Show & Prove" what they're truly about on the field.  With no more than 3 relevant squads in each Conference, the Good Ol' Boy ways of being able to duck people until you get paid to party & play in a Bowl Game is gradually coming to an END!

\"If You STAY Ready ... You Don\'t Hafta Get Ready!\"
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rumor: Big East to Exand With offers to Memphis and UCF « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools