Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Steve White's position on Penn « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#30 : June 16, 2010, 06:09:50 PM

Even if he isn't a premier guy in your eyes. Heck in anyone's eyes, what do we have behind him right now?

That's a horrible reason to sign someone to a long-term deal.  It's a great reason, however, for a one-year deal, which is exactly what he has been offered.

So if you're not going to sign him to a long term deal, why hold the guy hostage with this"under the rules" crap.  Dude no matter how the Penn haters spin this it's not on the player.  If they hate the guy as much as some of you do why haven't they made a move to secure this "upgrade" everyone is looking for? You know the guy thats sooooooo much better than the "bag of rocks" Penn is to quote one of our famous posters... He couldn't have been in the draft as we didn't even sniff and olineman on draft day. So you're going to play hardball with the best choice you have at LT?  I'm sure Freeman will thank the FO for letting Donald's backup get "valuable" reps....  

I think the problem is that once they would cave in to Penn, then it would start a whole avalanche of discontent with all the other restricted free agents on the team (Ruud, Cadillac, etc.).

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#31 : June 16, 2010, 06:12:42 PM

Ruud held out last year and Caddy isn't complaining....with his wobbly knees. Your avalanche thoery isn't going to happen IMO.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#32 : June 16, 2010, 06:27:41 PM

Which site was it that showed the stats on how the offensive line played?  I don't remember Penn being that high on that list.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#33 : June 16, 2010, 06:35:24 PM

Which site was it that showed the stats on how the offensive line played?  I don't remember Penn being that high on that list.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=T&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

Penn is 62 out of 77 ranked Offensive Tackles.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#34 : June 16, 2010, 06:39:52 PM

Even if he isn't a premier guy in your eyes. Heck in anyone's eyes, what do we have behind him right now?

That's a horrible reason to sign someone to a long-term deal. It's a great reason, however, for a one-year deal, which is exactly what he has been offered.

So if you're not going to sign him to a long term deal, why hold the guy hostage with this"under the rules" crap. Dude no matter how the Penn haters spin this it's not on the player. If they hate the guy as much as some of you do why haven't they made a move to secure this "upgrade" everyone is looking for? You know the guy thats sooooooo much better than the "bag of rocks" Penn is to quote one of our famous posters... He couldn't have been in the draft as we didn't even sniff and olineman on draft day. So you're going to play hardball with the best choice you have at LT? I'm sure Freeman will thank the FO for letting Donald's backup get "valuable" reps....

I think the FO has been exploring upgrades, and nothing has presented itself that siuts their desires.  Most likely the idea is to let Penn "prove it" this year and if not than be aggressive about finding a replacement next year.  Penn is the answer for this year, and Penn has the opportunity to earn more than that.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#35 : June 16, 2010, 06:40:16 PM

That was the one and I think that speaks for itself.    

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#36 : June 16, 2010, 06:44:26 PM

Ruud held out last year and Caddy isn't complaining....with his wobbly knees. Your avalanche thoery isn't going to happen IMO.

You wanna see a pissed off Ruud just sign Penn to a long-term deal now. That would destroy their whole "unsettled CBA" argument they are trying to shove down the players' and agents' throats.

calicojack

Starter
#37 : June 16, 2010, 06:48:42 PM

You wanna see a pissed off Ruud just sign Penn to a long-term deal now. That would destroy their whole "unsettled CBA" argument they are trying to shove down the players' and agents' throats.

Both of these issues could have been taken care of last year... and Ruud wasn't a holdout...

The Dream Team

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#38 : June 17, 2010, 08:31:26 AM

That's a horrible reason to sign someone to a long-term deal. It's a great reason, however, for a one-year deal, which is exactly what he has been offered.

So if you're not going to sign him to a long term deal, why hold the guy hostage with this"under the rules" crap. Dude no matter how the Penn haters spin this it's not on the player. If they hate the guy as much as some of you do why haven't they made a move to secure this "upgrade" everyone is looking for? You know the guy thats sooooooo much better than the "bag of rocks" Penn is to quote one of our famous posters... He couldn't have been in the draft as we didn't even sniff and olineman on draft day. So you're going to play hardball with the best choice you have at LT? I'm sure Freeman will thank the FO for letting Donald's backup get "valuable" reps....

I think the FO has been exploring upgrades, and nothing has presented itself that siuts their desires.  Most likely the idea is to let Penn "prove it" this year and if not than be aggressive about finding a replacement next year.  Penn is the answer for this year, and Penn has the opportunity to earn more than that.

You think the FO is exploring options?  How about you hope. Or you'd like to think. Enlighten me if you've even seen us rumored to be looking for another viable option  I haven't heard that, seen that, or read that even being hinted any where. Doesn'tmean they aren't but presented with what we have today we got bubcus! 

Bigs howcan you say the guy has done nothing?  That's just straight haterade...Most of the postersin Penns corne have already said he's not your prototypical Pro Bowler. However he's all we got, and for what it's worth that guy is not as bad as some of you want to make him.  The fact that he's doing this again soldify's the fat that Penn even knows the backups we have aren't as good as he is. So if you think Penn sucks wit until you see his replacement...

We all know the "business" of the game is brutal with harsh realities.  Even more so with labor issues right now. Honestly I'd like to see them do something.  I don't care what that is or ho it looks as long as we secure a LT as good as or better than Penn pronto.  I don't see that guy falling into our laps.

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#39 : June 17, 2010, 09:04:30 AM

You think the FO is exploring options? How about you hope. Or you'd like to think. Enlighten me if you've even seen us rumored to be looking for another viable option I haven't heard that, seen that, or read that even being hinted any where. Doesn'tmean they aren't but presented with what we have today we got bubcus!

Offensive linemen aren't the biggest of Tampa Bay's needs. The Bucs tendered restricted free agent tackles Donald Penn and Jeremy Trueblood this offseason, but that doesn't mean they aren't willing to upgrade the tackle position in April with any of their 11 draft picks. The team also isn't opposed to upgrading the interior part of their offensive line. With uncertainty surrounding the future of guard Arron Sears, Tampa Bay may look at drafting a swing-guard to compete with Jeremy Zuttah. The Bucs spent a good amount of time watching offensive linemen at the Senior Bowl, so it wouldn't be surprising if they consider taking one early in the draft.

Okung and Iupati are considered the top prospects at their respective positions, but are not likely candidates to be selected with the team's third overall pick in the draft. Both players are expected to be off the board when the Bucs pick in the second round, but the team is keeping all options open, including trading down in the first round, which could land Okung or Iupati. If one of those players falls farther than expected in the draft, the Bucs will also be prepared to trade back up into the first round to grab their guy.

If both defensive tackle prospects that Tampa Bay covets, Nebraska's Ndamukong Suh and Oklahoma's Gerald McCoy, are off the board when the Bucs pick in the first round and they are unable to trade down, the team may look to draft the player available with the best value to them and that player might be Okung, who is a projected top five pick. Although that scenario is unlikely, the Bucs are preparing for any possible situation that could occur on draft day.

http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/6883

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#40 : June 17, 2010, 10:58:10 AM

You could be right and he could be pissed, but that is not a consideration when you are signing players to contracts. If that was the case, nobody would ever be signed. There is always going to be someone who wants a new deal, too.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#41 : June 17, 2010, 11:00:07 AM

Bigs howcan you say the guy has done nothing?  That's just straight haterade...Most of the postersin Penns corne have already said he's not your prototypical Pro Bowler. However he's all we got, and for what it's worth that guy is not as bad as some of you want to make him.  The fact that he's doing this again soldify's the fat that Penn even knows the backups we have aren't as good as he is. So if you think Penn sucks wit until you see his replacement...

I didn't say Penn's "done nothing."  I've said he's done nothing to earn a multi-year big-money contract.  I haven't said he sucks - he doesn't.  I was a big defender of Penn's for the last couple seasons.  He's a serviceable LT, probably in the middle of the league as far as LT's are concerned.  You don't extend league-average players for big bucks.

We've all seen his weight fluctuate, and he's lost weight this year in an obvious attempt to get that big contract.  God knows what this guy will do once he gets that big payday...

calicojack

Starter
#42 : June 17, 2010, 11:03:47 AM

So you give him an Andre Smith style contract.  Weight shouldn't be the holdup for a new contract...

The Dream Team

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#43 : June 17, 2010, 11:17:25 AM

So you give him an Andre Smith style contract.  Weight shouldn't be the holdup for a new contract...

I agree, and who is to say that hasn't been put on the table by the Bucs?

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#44 : June 17, 2010, 11:17:42 AM

It's not that the GM's didn't want to sign the guy. Allen and Dominik both reportedly had deals with Penn and both times the deals were reportedly nixed by the Glazers. So, for everyone offering excuses as to why we didn't sign him, I'm not buying it. The football people tried to get it done, and the Glazers vetoed it.

If Penn was not a good LT you would know about it. Good LT's go unnoticed. Bad LT's stick out like a sore thumb.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Steve White's position on Penn « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools