Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Decision:Thomas over Johnson? Johnson over Thomas? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

« : March 09, 2007, 10:40:46 PM »

well come April 28th we could be faced with a win win situation you are Brucey  Thomas and Johnson are available who do you take?????

Johnson in my case we helped our O-line with Petitgout so Johnson to help passing game so when Galloway retires we have a 3rd or 4th year player ready

« #1 : March 09, 2007, 10:43:03 PM »

Thomas....hands down.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #2 : March 09, 2007, 10:46:22 PM »

The chances of it happening are extremely remote. If Russell goes 1, you'd pretty much have to have Brady and Peterson go 2 and 3. Brady's stock has fallen enough to where that probably won't happen and it's no lock that Peterson goes up there too. Not to be a killjoy, but I'd feel very fortunate if one of these special players is still available, let alone two.

In Verner We Trust

BucJam07

Hall of Famer

« #3 : March 09, 2007, 10:48:45 PM »

I say Johnson. With Luke Pet now, C.J. can make more of a difference quicker.

You see Jeff Garcia's been our side for a while. lol

You Can't Spell SCUM Without The

SamoaJoeBucFan

Starter

« #4 : March 09, 2007, 10:53:44 PM »

No doubt Joe Thomas.  Franchise left tackles are hard to come by.

JC510

Practice Squad

« #5 : March 09, 2007, 10:55:42 PM »

Johnson. He's the better overall player and he's a game changer. Johnson is going to do things like take a 5 yard slant, break a tackle and turn it into a 70 yard TD.

kennard19

Starter
« #6 : March 09, 2007, 11:03:13 PM »

J Thomas is not the answer. Johnson has big time game that will = wins. You won't look back and say, We won that game because of our left tackle.

SamoaJoeBucFan

Starter

« #7 : March 09, 2007, 11:04:15 PM »

I agree with that statement JC.  However, if CJ breaks open, but Garcia is sacked because we have a bad left tackle, then who would you want?  Good O-linemen make average QB's and average runningbacks look good.  Our runningback is better than average, so a decent O-line makes him great.  A decent O-line (especially at the left tackle spot) protects a QB so he has time to find any receiver on the field.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #8 : March 09, 2007, 11:20:06 PM »

Joe Thomas.  The Bucs need a beast at LOT.  THey can always get better production out of the wideouts if Garcia has time to throw.

But if any of the QBS needs to "hurry up and buy", then Johnson, and all of his 6 catches per game, isn't going top amount to jack.

Joe Thomas:

1)  Makes the passing game better for all the recievers involved.  He is a sound blocker, and can lock up DEs.
2)  Makes the running game better because he can open lanes, and lock up a DE, or DT, and at the second level (which he has the speed to get to) he can blow up Dbacks, or linebackers.

Calvin Johnson:

1)  Needs time to develop his routes, and is likely to catch maybe 80-90 passes a year.  So he isn't an every play guy, and he certainly isn't going to be more responsible for putting up more points, then Joe Thomas is for the Bucs.  I mean, if he gets 7 catches a game, and scores 8 TDs, he will be a 117 reception guy.  Not going to happen fellows. 

More like his best he will get 100 recepts a game, which means 6 grabs a game.  I would take JOe Thomas every day of the week.  And in my opinion, Joe Thomas is the sexier pick as well.  People know who the stud LTs are in the league.  Ogden, Roaf, Boselli (he was)...these guys are monsters who make a diff on every down.  Thomas has that kind of skill written all over him...

Joe Thomas.  I aint playing Madden on Sunday.  I am watching the Bucs.

PoorRichard

Starter

« #9 : March 09, 2007, 11:31:01 PM »

I think its laughable that people think JT is a sure fire top 5 LT when the recent history of the Big 10 tells us his bust potential is very high. Based on the level of competition JT has played against the last 2-3 years I'd say he's overrated and best suited to be picked mid to late 1st round. LT is the toughest position to evaluate and if he isn't worthy of being #1 overall then he probably isnt worthy of the top 15.

With the signing of LP and the depth at the position with A. Davis the Bucs would be wise to pick CJ (assuming its b/t those two only). CJ will make them beter. JT will hold them back by not being able to contribute on the field in year 1 which would make the pick a bust.

Besides, last time I checked teams were winning championships, i.e., Pats, Bucs, Colts by investing high picks on DL not OL.

CJ is the much sexier pick, Boid. The fact that there are only 5-6 franchise LTs in the league really lessens the value of the position. If 25 teams can win w/o one then why do you need one??

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #10 : March 09, 2007, 11:32:17 PM »

I love CJ's game, but in that situation my head would tell me that JT is the most pressing need and the best choice for the Bucs right now.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #11 : March 09, 2007, 11:32:22 PM »

Last I checked the Bucs O-line was a joke...

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #12 : March 09, 2007, 11:35:17 PM »

Orlando Pace.  Ohio State.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #13 : March 09, 2007, 11:38:07 PM »

Hmmmm. Does anybody know where Paul Gruber went to college? Thought so...

kennard19

Starter
« #14 : March 09, 2007, 11:38:24 PM »

Robert Gallery>>> a joke!
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Decision:Thomas over Johnson? Johnson over Thomas? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools