Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Australia's New Leader Is An Atheist: Americans, Don't Try This At Home! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8

Yakuza Rich

Rookie

#30 : July 06, 2010, 12:13:42 PM

And yet the people of St. Petersburg elected as mayor a man who says he does not believe in the theory of Evolution.

While 16% of Americans may now view themselves as "secular/non-religious," we non-believers still have a long ways to go in this country.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#31 : July 06, 2010, 01:01:26 PM

Methinks that some people need to check out the difference between a Prime Minister and a President and how they get to hold that office.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#32 : July 06, 2010, 01:15:22 PM

On some fronts, we're making progress.

As defined by whom? You?

And 99% of my friends think differently than I do.

Really?

Comment 2 kinda puts comment 2 into perspective doesn't it.

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#33 : July 06, 2010, 06:21:29 PM

Who said her thoughts/beliefs were so important to me? What's impressive is the voters ignoring her Atheism and electing her. A female Atheist? Good for them.
Great to see people elect a non-Christian as their leader. Maybe one day, American thinking will progress enough to allow that to happen here.

here's my issue.  who cares about her religious beliefs?  who cares that she's a she? why is it "good for them" that they elected a female atheist?  that has ZERO to do with her political and leadership skills.  i think its more important to focus on the real matter at hand.
Agreed.

However, Joe puts as much emphasis on one's faith as anyone.

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#34 : July 06, 2010, 08:35:05 PM

Who said her thoughts/beliefs were so important to me? What's impressive is the voters ignoring her Atheism and electing her. A female Atheist? Good for them.
Great to see people elect a non-Christian as their leader. Maybe one day, American thinking will progress enough to allow that to happen here.

here's my issue. who cares about her religious beliefs? who cares that she's a she? why is it "good for them" that they elected a female atheist? that has ZERO to do with her political and leadership skills. i think its more important to focus on the real matter at hand.

For the most part, I couldn't care less if the politician is black/white/he/she/atheist/believer, etc...

But voters have repeatedly said that they DO care. Some won't vote for a woman. Some still won't vote for a black man. And a lot won't vote for an atheist. It's a fact that these folks care about those things. So, as long as these people exist, this will be an issue that is spoken about. And, unfortunately, it's relevant to the election.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer
#35 : July 06, 2010, 09:04:16 PM

The people vote for who they want.  Is that news or even strange?  Sounds like common sense to me.  What did soldiers die for?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#36 : July 06, 2010, 09:30:28 PM

But voters have repeatedly said that they DO care.

ive always thought that voters care about the politician that says he will lower taxes and put more money in the peoples pockets.  and they care about which party is on the right side of the economic wave.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

spartan

Hall of Famer
#37 : July 06, 2010, 10:10:53 PM

here's my issue. who cares about her religious beliefs? who cares that she's a she? why is it "good for them" that they elected a female atheist? that has ZERO to do with her political and leadership skills. i think its more important to focus on the real matter at hand.

For the most part, I couldn't care less if the politician is black/white/he/she/atheist/believer, etc...

But voters have repeatedly said that they DO care. Some won't vote for a woman. Some still won't vote for a black man. And a lot won't vote for an atheist. It's a fact that these folks care about those things. So, as long as these people exist, this will be an issue that is spoken about. And, unfortunately, it's relevant to the election.

And some won't vote for an unabashed Christian because they consider them (whether rightly or wrongly) to be bible thumping morons who try to push their "agenda" on others. Two sides of the same coin.

You know I am a Christian, yet I can categorically say that I would vote for someone who declared themselves to be an atheist or agnostic if they stood up and put forward policies I agreed with and thought were best for the country. Could you honestly say the same Joe? Remember the conversations that were had about Mike Huckerbee et al? Based on your past record, that is, what you have stated on this board,  I honestly think that you would not.  I don't want to get into a pissing match so I'll preface this by saying it is my observations. You talk about stereotyping, yet you stereotype in the worst possible way. You talk about discrimination, yet you discriminate in the worst possible way. You talk about bias yet your bias is potently evident in your posts.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#38 : July 06, 2010, 10:44:22 PM

The people vote for who they want.  Is that news or even strange?

And who they want is influenced by a lot of factors. Unfortunately, over the years, race and sex have played a role. And if an atheist ran for president, a lot of
people would refuse to vote for them. Polls may be off but they're not that off.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#39 : July 06, 2010, 10:46:25 PM

But voters have repeatedly said that they DO care.

ive always thought that voters care about the politician that says he will lower taxes and put more money in the peoples pockets.  and they care about which party is on the right side of the economic wave.

You're right. Race, sex, sexual orientation and lack of a belief in God would have no influence on voters. And Santa Claus is real.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#40 : July 06, 2010, 10:58:48 PM

You're right. Race, sex, sexual orientation and lack of a belief in God would have no influence on voters. And Santa Claus is real.

what does santa claus have to do with voters looking out for themselves?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#41 : July 06, 2010, 11:01:43 PM

And some won't vote for an unabashed Christian because they consider them (whether rightly or wrongly) to be bible thumping morons who try to push their "agenda" on others. Two sides of the same coin.

And? What's your point? Voters can be picky when it comes to certain factors. I think every person I have ever voted for has been a Christian. Not much choice when it comes to politicians and non-Christians. Not too many out there. Are there some voters who won't vote for a Christian? Yes. Do they have many options? No. Out of all of the candidates who ran for president on the R and D side, how many were non-Christian?

You know I am a Christian, yet I can categorically say that I would vote for someone who declared themselves to be an atheist or agnostic if they stood up and put forward policies I agreed with and thought were best for the country.

Once again, what's your point? Some people are like you. But there are plenty that would not vote for an atheist. Is that really such a controversial statement?

Could you honestly say the same Joe?

I voted for Ron Paul. He's probably the most Christian candidate I have ever voted for.

Remember the conversations that were had about Mike Huckerbee et al? Based on your past record, that is, what you have stated on this board,  I honestly think that you would not.

Probably not. I think he's a kook. A Christian kook. However, if he had a platform that I really agreed with, I'd seriously consider him. The only thing I liked about his platform was the flat tax. That wasn't enough to overcome his kookiness.

I don't want to get into a pissing match so I'll preface this by saying it is my observations. You talk about stereotyping, yet you stereotype in the worst possible way.

LOL. You want to avoid a pissing match but then you totally get it wrong with regards to what I posted.

You misread in the worst possible way. I never said NO American would ever vote for an atheist. And I even included a poll that showed the number. And if look at that poll, it's obvious that not everybody would have a problem with an atheist. 45% would vote for an atheist. Wow, that's some stereotyping! LOL. No stereotyping by me. Just plain old failing to read by you.

You talk about discrimination, yet you discriminate in the worst possible way. You talk about bias yet your bias is potently evident in your posts.

Sorry but you're just making up crap and putting words in my mouth. When you learn how to avoid that, get back to me.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#42 : July 07, 2010, 08:56:38 AM

Perhaps you should read what you write Joe. You do not say ALL Christians, I will grant you that, , but the tone and general content of your comments do place all Christians and religious people under the same umbrella. i.e. Paraphrasing here..

"Not all Christians are like this, but people who believe in God are mindless sheep"

On one hand you give yourself a technical "out" yet the overall content of the statement is pretty clear for all to see. Add on to the fact that nearly if not all comments that I recall on the subject matter are overwhelmingly negative and critical and no amount of parsing words is going to alter the impression you leave with your posts. Let's take this thread. You say that it is "progress" that an atheist is in high political office and when questioned what that has to do with their political beliefs or performance your response is "nothing, I never said that it did". If that is the case what was the point of the thread?

How many times do you write that people who respond to your posts need to learn to read, they misread, misunderstood or are putting words in your mouth? The frequency that occurs indicates that you are either doing a really bad job of communicating your points or when hit by a valid counter argument you start ducking and diving. Food for thought.

FWIW, and a bit of a side note, Huckerbee supports the FAIR tax, not the FLAT tax. There is a BIG difference you might find worth exploring. Revolutionary in that it all but emasculates the power of Congress. At least in terms of the power they yield with the tax code.

bucsense

Practice Squad

#43 : July 07, 2010, 09:47:58 AM

Well, putting Obama in the White House is proving to have been a monumental mistake for the American people, since he does not care how we feel.

So, maybe an Athiest might be more focused on what the majority of us sees as important. At this point what's to lose?

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#44 : July 07, 2010, 02:01:24 PM

Perhaps you should read what you write Joe. You do not say ALL Christians, I will grant you that, , but the tone and general content of your comments do place all Christians and religious people under the same umbrella. i.e. Paraphrasing here..

"Not all Christians are like this, but people who believe in God are mindless sheep"

Nice of you to paraphrase my thoughts. Tone? Gotta love it.

On one hand you give yourself a technical "out" yet the overall content of the statement is pretty clear for all to see. Add on to the fact that nearly if not all comments that I recall on the subject matter are overwhelmingly negative and critical and no amount of parsing words is going to alter the impression you leave with your posts. Let's take this thread. You say that it is "progress" that an atheist is in high political office and when questioned what that has to do with their political beliefs or performance your response is "nothing, I never said that it did". If that is the case what was the point of the thread?

Well, when I thought Aussies had voted for her, the point of the thread was to show that they elected a leader who was an atheist. IMO and from what I see of polls, Americans would not do that at this time.

Since the Aussies did not vote for her and will not get the chance, my point is moot. I already admitted that in a previous post.

Does that pass your inspection?

How many times do you write that people who respond to your posts need to learn to read, they misread, misunderstood or are putting words in your mouth? The frequency that occurs indicates that you are either doing a really bad job of communicating your points or when hit by a valid counter argument you start ducking and diving. Food for thought.

Actually, it mostly happens with you. Might want to do some self evaluation.

FWIW, and a bit of a side note, Huckerbee supports the FAIR tax, not the FLAT tax. There is a BIG difference you might find worth exploring. Revolutionary in that it all but emasculates the power of Congress. At least in terms of the power they yield with the tax code.

FWIW, I read up on his plan when he was campaigning. I called it the wrong thing. Big ****ing deal.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Australia's New Leader Is An Atheist: Americans, Don't Try This At Home! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools