Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Grimm - is it just me or.... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#30 : July 13, 2010, 11:18:01 PM

Grimm's dad was in the NFL, so i think that helps him get in the news, right?

His dad is a Hall of Famer (barring something crazy happening between now and the ceremony)

But...read this http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d818d28e3/article/grimm-works-to-overcome-make-his-own-name-with-buccaneers
He might get in the news because he is the son of a Hall of Famer but he certainly has paved his own path through college and hopefully in the NFL.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#31 : July 16, 2010, 09:17:32 AM

Saying he's got more instincts than Sabby is like saying a RB has better footwork than Michael Pittman. Again, there have been plenty of guys with football savvy and a good work ethic. The lack of NFL speed and athleticism (in the secondary, thats a killer) is only worsened by the fact that he's switching from LB to safety. The odds are very much against him. Yeah, there's an inkling of a shot that he can be a "great" safety and a 10-year starter. But there's also a really, really good chance that he's PS-bound and will be wearing another jersey within the next 3 years. That is if he's wearing a jersey at all in the regular season.

Where is the evidence that Grimm lacks athleticism?

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#32 : July 15, 2010, 07:49:23 PM

Meh.  He is in the NFL now, is playing a different position, and is small (ish).  I highly doubt we hear much of him in the future.  Just a hunch.  The BUcs have Lynch (who is a ball hawking/play maker/proven on STs) type of player as well.  Throw in Tanard, Jones, and Piss, and well...doesn't look like much more than PS for him.  He is really going to have to blow up practices.

I agree. Grimm reminds me a lot of Jaxson Appel, who I liked a lot coming out of TAMU. But he just didn't have much of an NFL skill-set, even though he took down Adrian Peterson in the open field numerous times at A&M. Probably undrafted without the "bloodlines" card working for him. I mean he was alright at VT, but he's not an NFL caliber safety. Not even as a back-up.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#33 : July 15, 2010, 08:22:33 PM

I beg to differ. He has a very high football IQ and that can make up for the lack of elite athletism. Dependable back up and special teams captian at the very worst, ten year starter at SS at best. We'll see.

Writing him off before he has even taken part in training camp is a bit ridiculous.

Draft Aaron Donald

JereLinc

Rookie
#34 : July 15, 2010, 08:26:59 PM

I'll just take a wild guess here, but I would say that it is many times easier to train athleticism than it would be to coach football IQ. With Grimm's work ethic it shouldn't take too long to get him in NFL-shape once in the system.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#35 : July 15, 2010, 08:39:35 PM

I'll just take a wild guess here, but I would say that it is many times easier to train athleticism than it would be to coach football IQ. With Grimm's work ethic it shouldn't take too long to get him in NFL-shape once in the system.

Agreed. Of course he could never end up working out, but he could also be John Lynch 2.0 in a few years. You can always make a playmaker into a great athlete, but you can't always make a great athlete into a playmaker. (Exhibit A: Sabby Piscatelli)

Draft Aaron Donald

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#36 : July 15, 2010, 09:07:15 PM

I beg to differ. He has a very high football IQ and that can make up for the lack of elite athletism. Dependable back up and special teams captian at the very worst, ten year starter at SS at best. We'll see.

Writing him off before he has even taken part in training camp is a bit ridiculous.

Appel had football IQ, that didn't keep him around. We've got plenty of ST standouts. Those guys are a dime a dozen.

10-year starter? Uh huh, that's that high ceiling we've heard so much about.

I'm not writing him off. I'm saying it's the off-season and people are doing what they do EVERY off-season, and thats overrate guys who haven't shown to be that great in the first place. PR does an article on them or mentions their shining moments in OTAs, and all of a sudden they're a viable option. Give me a break. Grimm was a solid LB in college. How many of those become TEN YEAR starters at safety in the NFL? 0.005%? Less?

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#37 : July 15, 2010, 10:15:00 PM

I'm not sure who you think is over rating the guy. I don't think it's feasible to think he will contribute as a safety this year. If he's forced to due to injury, I'm sure he'll struggle. All I'm saying is he has instincts that a guy like Sabby will never have. In a few years when he has got his body into NFL shape and learned the position he COULD be great. I don't know about .005% but I think that's more like my chances of being a great safety.

He's a smart kid. Give him time and we'll find out together what he can do in the NFL.

Draft Aaron Donald

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#38 : July 15, 2010, 10:46:13 PM

Saying he's got more instincts than Sabby is like saying a RB has better footwork than Michael Pittman. Again, there have been plenty of guys with football savvy and a good work ethic. The lack of NFL speed and athleticism (in the secondary, thats a killer) is only worsened by the fact that he's switching from LB to safety. The odds are very much against him. Yeah, there's an inkling of a shot that he can be a "great" safety and a 10-year starter. But there's also a really, really good chance that he's PS-bound and will be wearing another jersey within the next 3 years. That is if he's wearing a jersey at all in the regular season.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#39 : July 15, 2010, 10:52:19 PM

I agree with this summation.

I think Grimm was a decent collegiate.  It may translate, but I am not going to hold my breath.  I am too worried about McCoy being a dominator in the trenches at this time...if anything, Price as well.  And then I have to worry about Benn, and Williams...

Grimm is an afterthought, and I think Lynch, Tanard, Jones and Piss have the safety spots locked down.

Grimm is going to really have to make quite an impression in an effort to avoid the PS, which is where I think he will be headed.  Which is not bad.  But if he does outplay the others in front of him, good for us!  It means something translated into the NFL, and hopefully this happens.  But I doubt it.  At best, I think he would be an excellent special teams player.  That I truly believe.  But he has to get a shot.

Lynch is a good ST guy.  Has a nose for the ball.  So really, this is about Grimm V. Lynch.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#40 : July 15, 2010, 10:57:11 PM

The future is Grimm.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#41 : July 16, 2010, 03:12:36 PM

Really, ADW? How did he grade out athletically? How did he look at VT? Hell, even Kam Chancellor is getting questions about being somewhatstiff, not so good in coverage, and may not be able to keep up with faster NFL targets. And he's 15x the athlete Grimm is.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#42 : July 16, 2010, 03:55:54 PM

Really, ADW? How did he grade out athletically? How did he look at VT? Hell, even Kam Chancellor is getting questions about being somewhatstiff, not so good in coverage, and may not be able to keep up with faster NFL targets. And he's 15x the athlete Grimm is.

His combine metrics look a lot better than most people are willing to give credit for.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/cody-grimm?id=496925

Out of all the LB's he had respectable 40 time, and 3 cone drill.  It could be argued being a safety is different at the NFL level compared to a LB, but in the Bucs scheme the Bucs don't ask a safety to cover 40 yards anyways in most cases (especially if they ask the strong safety to play in the box).  But with that said he has a respectable 40 time, and his 3 cone drill shows he has the explosion to change direction which is pivotal for a safety covering his portion of the field.

It is possibly Chancellor has better straight line speed than Grimm, but I would be surprised if his 3 cone drill was better than Grimm's because he is considered a bit stiff.

Like Dekoda Watson, Grimm is an underrated prospect in terms of athleticism which is why Bucs fans should be pleased to see the team have landed both players. 

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#43 : July 16, 2010, 04:10:30 PM

Like Dekoda Watson, Grimm is an underrated prospect in terms of athleticism which is why Bucs fans should be pleased to see the team have landed both players. 

This. I'm not gonna spend anymore time trying to convince anyone of what Grimm or Watson might end up being, but me personally, I'm very happy we got these two at the end of the draft. I'm glad they are on the roster and I have high hopes for both of them.

Draft Aaron Donald

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#44 : July 16, 2010, 04:33:33 PM

His combine metrics look a lot better than most people are willing to give credit for.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/cody-grimm?id=496925

Out of all the LB's he had respectable 40 time, and 3 cone drill.  It could be argued being a safety is different at the NFL level compared to a LB, but in the Bucs scheme the Bucs don't ask a safety to cover 40 yards anyways in most cases (especially if they ask the strong safety to play in the box).  But with that said he has a respectable 40 time, and his 3 cone drill shows he has the explosion to change direction which is pivotal for a safety covering his portion of the field.

It is possibly Chancellor has better straight line speed than Grimm, but I would be surprised if his 3 cone drill was better than Grimm's because he is considered a bit stiff.

You can't be serious, ADW. Skewing the stats doesn't make the kid look better. We drafted him to play SAFETY! You can't compare his numbers at 203 to someone else's at 240 and say "well, they're respectable". If you put any other 200 lb safety in with those LBs, they blow their numbers out of the water. Mid-4.6s is NOT respectable at safety, which he plays. Hell, Chancellor had that time and he's 6'3 and has 30 lbs on Grimm. 3 cone drill doesn't help him stay with faster WRs, especially if his backpedal isn't good. Which, playing as a LB, I assume it isn't.

Dekoda Watson isn't underrated athletically. He may have been an underrated PROSPECT, but everyone knew he was a very good athlete. That was his claim to fame, per se, pre-draft. Grimm isn't, even when you do him a HUGE favor by comparing him to LBs when he has 0 shot at making a roster as one. That's like saying "this WR's 4.7 40 time is respectable when compared to the TEs". DeMeco Ryans, now THAT was an underrated athletic prospect. And guess what he ran as a SSLB/MLB?

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Grimm - is it just me or.... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools