Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Supplement Draft on the 12th... Running Backs « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7

JDouble

Hall of Famer
: July 08, 2010, 03:31:19 PM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/08/twenty-teams-see-harvey-unga-work-out/?related=1

#1 : July 06, 2010, 11:13:33 AM

Three HB's are eligible.

We are on 'top of the list' at the 3rd pick in each round...   and also have a compensatory pick (for Bryant) next year that could
replace the pick we'd spend on getting a guy.

I'd really like to get Unga... and would be willing for the team to part with a 4th rounder.   St Louis will be interested and Detriot would not (the two teams that 'pick' before us.)

Thoughts?

Castille (6-1 3/8, 250, 4.79 in the 40) totaled 349 yards on 107 carries (3.3-yard average) with one touchdown for the I-AA Demons in 2009. He would have been a senior this fall. He began his collegiate career at Nebraska, where he gained 810 yards and 10 touchdowns in two seasons while sharing carries with Marlon Lucky and Roy Helu. Castille rushed for 125 yards against Clemson in the '09 Gator Bowl but was dismissed the following August for a violation of team rules. He did, however, receive a positive recommendation from Huskers head coach Bo Pelini, who had a pre-existing relationship with Northwestern State head coach Bradley Dale Peveto dating back to their days on the LSU coaching staff.

A hard-charging, one-back type with a history of nicks and bruises, Unga (6-0 3/4, 245, 4.65 est.) withdrew from BYU in April following a violation of the school's honor code, speculated to be premarital sex (Unga's girlfriend also withdrew from the school). He rushed for 1,000 yards in each of his first three seasons with the Cougars, including 1,087 yards on 208 carries (5.2) with 11 touchdowns in 2009. He lost 15 pounds during a bout with swine flu in the summer and then pulled a hamstring late in fall camp, contributing to a slow start. Unga also had 102 career receptions.

Emokpae (5-11e, 240e, 4.8 est.), having already graduated from Truman State, opted to enter the supplemental draft rather than go through his senior season under a new coaching staff. Listed as a receiver for the D-II Bulldogs, Emokpae led the team in receiving (365 yards) and rushing (524 yards) last fall after having torn his ACL and MCL in the first game of the '08 season. He also has some experience returning kicks and did some punting as a freshman. Emokpae was an All-State high-jumper as a Texas prep and helped put himself on the radar by showing off his leaping ability for scouts in the spring.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#2 : July 06, 2010, 11:28:35 AM

I'd much much much rather pick a RB out of the full assortmant of prospects in 2011.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

#3 : July 06, 2010, 11:33:30 AM

I am firmly on the fence about the 2011 draft...    Hadn't really had a chance to see who (RB-wise) is going to declare/be available.

Oline vs DE vs RB...

This (supplemental) might be a way to make sure we get that Elite DE in the first next year - Unga could be the guy to ensure it.

Does anyone know if the Bucs are planning to attend the workouts?

'sayin.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#4 : July 06, 2010, 11:38:46 AM

I am firmly on the fence about the 2011 draft... Hadn't really had a chance to see who (RB-wise) is going to declare/be available.

Oline vs DE vs RB...

This (supplemental) might be a way to make sure we get that Elite DE in the first next year - Unga could be the guy to ensure it.

Does anyone know if the Bucs are planning to attend the workouts?

'sayin.
BPA. You never know if it could be like 2007 when there weren't ANY elite DE's.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#5 : July 06, 2010, 11:54:38 AM

the only backs worth anythng in the supplemental are FBs IMO. all of them are big and slow.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

TheShadow

Hall of Famer

#6 : July 06, 2010, 12:26:15 PM

Their 40 YD times make them look like Guards. Nothing above a 5th for me.

Quit beefing about the past and start hoping for the future

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#7 : July 06, 2010, 01:38:02 PM

I don't know about Blount as the only guy but we should definitely look at who the Titans cut, they have a good group of young prospects behind Johnson and can't afford to keep all of them.

Also, as I've said in another thread, if we are interested in Unga we might as well look at Brian Leonard. He's in a contract year for the Bengals and they are hardly utilizing him. He is an asset out of the backfield and money on 3rd and 4th downs. I doubt he would cost much.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#8 : July 06, 2010, 07:57:23 PM

There are some great backs in next years draft, I personally love Demarco Murray, but there are 5 or 6 guys that could end up being first round picks. The thing is, if we got Unga, it doesn't mean we don't still need a RB. Our current Over the Hill Gang doesn't have much to offer us in the future. If we had Huggins, Unga, and a top RB from next years draft, we'd be set.

I think we go DE and OL in the first and second next year anyways, so we might end up waiting till 2012 for a top tier RB. Unga isn't amazing, but he'd be nice to have this year and next untill we get a top RB. Even after we get a top RB like DeAngelo Williams, Unga could be like our Jonathan Stewart.

Fact is, we have nothing at RB for the future. I love Caddie and Graham to death, but they are on thier way out, Ward is a bum. Only guy we have for the future is Huggins and he is totally unproven. Unga would be a nice piece to add and it would allow us to cut/trade Ward.

I hope we offer a 5th or possibly even a 4th and see what happens.

bait619

Starter

#9 : July 06, 2010, 08:35:37 PM

Jared Gaither was picked in the 5th round of the supplemental draft and he was a potential franchise LT...these RBs woul have been drafted in the 5th or later of this last year's draft...Unga will be lucky to be drafted in the 6th of this year's supplemental

Take what you think they are worth and subtract 3 rounds

my prediction: Unga in the 7th and the other two undrafted

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#10 : July 06, 2010, 08:49:52 PM

Unga has his pro day on Thursday, I think his draft status all comes down to his 40 time

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#11 : July 06, 2010, 08:58:56 PM

I don't think anybody expects him to be a burner. He's a tough short yardage guy that seems to always manage to pick up postive yardage and always falls forward. Plus he is good at catching out of the backfield. He's kinda a bigger, younger, Earnest Graham IMO. I don't think his 40 time will effect anything. I think everyone knows he is a 4.5-4.6 guy. He'd have to run lower than 4.4 or higher than 4.7 to effect his status either way.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#12 : July 06, 2010, 09:21:50 PM

Unga isn't amazing, but he'd be nice to have this year and next untill we get a top RB.

Fact is, we have nothing at RB for the future. I love Caddie and Graham to death, but they are on thier way out, Ward is a bum. Only guy we have for the future is Huggins and he is totally unproven. Unga would be a nice piece to add and it would allow us to cut/trade Ward.

I hope we offer a 5th or possibly even a 4th and see what happens.

it would only allow you to dump Ward if he was any good. no one knows if hell be anyhing more than camp fodder. why not just spend that next years draft pick that it would cost on a RB with more upsideand more talent? holding a guy on the roster "for the futre" doesnt make sense when you still going to draft one in the future. I really doubt he could even come close to unseating Ward. Why spend that pick on a guy who will likely never produce in the NFL. they have a better shot at that in next years draft.

I think Unga is more of FB anyways. He better be damn good to have a 4th or 5th spent on him IMO.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#13 : July 06, 2010, 09:38:21 PM

You obviously expect more out of 5th round picks than I do.

You also think much more of Ward than I do.

How does Ward fit into our plans in the next 2-3 years? He won't be here. Unless Caddie has a huge year, I doubt we resign him next year. Graham will be 32. Blount or Unga can be just as good of a #2 this year as Ward, and then they actually fit into the future plans since they are like 8 years younger.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#14 : July 06, 2010, 11:03:51 PM

You obviously expect more out of 5th round picks than I do.

You also think much more of Ward than I do.

How does Ward fit into our plans in the next 2-3 years? He won't be here. Unless Caddie has a huge year, I doubt we resign him next year. Graham will be 32. Blount or Unga can be just as good of a #2 this year as Ward, and then they actually fit into the future plans since they are like 8 years younger.
My take would be just like the laundry list of project quarterbacks from 2003-2008, eventually you get tired of projects and decide to go after someone with #1 talent. That's probably going to happen to the running backs in 2011 so it would just be spinning your wheels to target players who top out as #2 or #3 RB's right now. I say roll with the three old guys and Huggins and try and get a real top end 15+ carry workhorse with speed next year.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Supplement Draft on the 12th... Running Backs « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools