Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Supplement Draft on the 12th... Running Backs « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#15 : July 06, 2010, 11:36:20 PM

Ryan Williams in 2011

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#16 : July 07, 2010, 08:42:04 AM

You obviously expect more out of 5th round picks than I do.

You also think much more of Ward than I do.

How does Ward fit into our plans in the next 2-3 years? He won't be here. Unless Caddie has a huge year, I doubt we resign him next year. Graham will be 32. Blount or Unga can be just as good of a #2 this year as Ward, and then they actually fit into the future plans since they are like 8 years younger.
My take would be just like the laundry list of project quarterbacks from 2003-2008, eventually you get tired of projects and decide to go after someone with #1 talent. That's probably going to happen to the running backs in 2011 so it would just be spinning your wheels to target players who top out as #2 or #3 RB's right now. I say roll with the three old guys and Huggins and try and get a real top end 15+ carry workhorse with speed next year.

That comparison makes no sense to me. Quarterbacks and running backs couldn't be more different. Project QBs taking in later rounds that end up being great are one in a million, while surprise unknown running backs break onto the scene every single year. Like I said before, we will need more than one good running back next year, so Unga would not mean we don't take a RB in next year's draft, but if your think we take a top RB in the first next year over a DE or OLmen....your dreamin.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#17 : July 07, 2010, 09:17:27 AM

but if your think we take a top RB in the first next year over a DE or OLmen....your dreamin.

sounds more like a nightmare...but hey, we've seen anything is possible.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#18 : July 07, 2010, 12:36:24 PM

but if your think we take a top RB in the first next year over a DE or OLmen....your dreamin.

sounds more like a nightmare...but hey, we've seen anything is possible.
BPA. What if there's a DeAngelo Williams level RB but the DE's are of the Gaines Adams variety and OT's are the next Kenyatta Walker.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#19 : July 07, 2010, 02:30:09 PM

BPA. What if there's a DeAngelo Williams level RB but the DE's are of the Gaines Adams variety and OT's are the next Kenyatta Walker.

no one knows who's gonna be the next deangelo, gaines, or kenyatta on draft day, not matter how much some believe it. 

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#20 : July 07, 2010, 02:35:14 PM

no one knows who's gonna be the next deangelo, gaines, or kenyatta on draft day, not matter how much some believe it. 
Its a lot more easier to tell whose going to be a stud RB than it is for linemen positions. I'm saying if we have a chance to get a Ryan Williams and we have to decide between him and some shaky T/DE prospect. I def. won't take the latter.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#21 : July 07, 2010, 02:47:23 PM

You obviously expect more out of 5th round picks than I do.

You also think much more of Ward than I do.

How does Ward fit into our plans in the next 2-3 years? He won't be here. Unless Caddie has a huge year, I doubt we resign him next year. Graham will be 32. Blount or Unga can be just as good of a #2 this year as Ward, and then they actually fit into the future plans since they are like 8 years younger.
My take would be just like the laundry list of project quarterbacks from 2003-2008, eventually you get tired of projects and decide to go after someone with #1 talent. That's probably going to happen to the running backs in 2011 so it would just be spinning your wheels to target players who top out as #2 or #3 RB's right now. I say roll with the three old guys and Huggins and try and get a real top end 15+ carry workhorse with speed next year.

That comparison makes no sense to me. Quarterbacks and running backs couldn't be more different. Project QBs taking in later rounds that end up being great are one in a million, while surprise unknown running backs break onto the scene every single year. Like I said before, we will need more than one good running back next year, so Unga would not mean we don't take a RB in next year's draft, but if your think we take a top RB in the first next year over a DE or OLmen....your dreamin.

yeah, but Unga will never be a #2 HB unless a team has a rash of injuries. Hed be lucky to be a #2FB.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#22 : July 07, 2010, 03:20:53 PM

Well Tatmanfish, that is your opinion. Seems to be based on nothing inparticular, but hey, everyone gets to have one.

As far as a RB in round one next year, I agree best player available to a certain extent, but DEs and OTs have MUCH more value than RBs. If you waste a top ten pick on a RB, he better be the next Adrian Peterson, cause you can get very good RBs in later rounds of the draft. DE, DT, CB, OT, and QB are the five positions that you wanna draft in the top ten. RBs an Safeties are the easiest spots to fill with starter caliber guys in the later rounds.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#23 : July 07, 2010, 03:23:02 PM

I'm saying if we have a chance to get a Ryan Williams and we have to decide between him and some shaky T/DE prospect. I def. won't take the latter.

shaky?  most 1st rounders dont have a shaky label, do they?

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#24 : July 07, 2010, 03:27:19 PM

I'm saying if we have a chance to get a Ryan Williams and we have to decide between him and some shaky T/DE prospect. I def. won't take the latter.

shaky? �most 1st rounders dont have a shaky label, do they?
Yeah they do. The prospects that have high bust potential, for example Gosder Cherilus , DHB, Andre Smith, Tyson A. and Trent Williams come to mind over the past 2-3 years. (Notice how just about all of them are linemen)

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#25 : July 07, 2010, 03:29:36 PM

Tyson Aluhalu has a high bust potential? Alot of people thing ten overall was high cause he might not be elite, but everyone expects him to be a starter in this league for the next decade. What are you talking about?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#26 : July 07, 2010, 03:41:28 PM

Yeah they do. The prospects that have high bust potential, for example Gosder Cherilus , DHB, Andre Smith, Tyson A. and Trent Williams come to mind over the past 2-3 years. (Notice how just about all of them are linemen)

what makes ryan williams more of a sure thing than trent williams?

i definitely agree to an extent...there are players with red flags.  so yes, i would agree in taking a RB before a player with a serious redflag.  but assuming we are picking in the top 1/2 of the round, i would assume there are some other positions that have some talent without the baggage.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#27 : July 07, 2010, 03:51:35 PM

I think we all agree OT and DE are high value positions, but they still have to be quality players. You don't want to get caught projecting a shaky player at a high value position when there may be a surer bet at a lesser value position.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#28 : July 07, 2010, 04:28:54 PM

Tyson Aluhalu has a high bust potential? Alot of people thing ten overall was high cause he might not be elite, but everyone expects him to be a starter in this league for the next decade. What are you talking about?
Being a "starter" in this league doesn't CUT it in the NFL, especially if you get drafted in the god damn TOP 10 in one of the DEEPEST drafts in the past 5-7 years.

I think I have a clear understanding of what I'm talking about. Top 10 guys better be elite or it ain't worth the selection, period.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#29 : July 07, 2010, 04:34:45 PM

what makes ryan williams more of a sure thing than trent williams?

i definitely agree to an extent...there are players with red flags.  so yes, i would agree in taking a RB before a player with a serious redflag.  but assuming we are picking in the top 1/2 of the round, i would assume there are some other positions that have some talent without the baggage.
Ryan plays running back. RB's have a much easier transition than per say LT's, the task Trent will take on this year. Perhaps you're right but we have no clue who will declare. I just know that there are always a linemen out there every year where teams have to think twice about.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Supplement Draft on the 12th... Running Backs « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools