Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will Gruden ever admit Gradkowski was a mistake? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#15 : March 10, 2007, 11:15:19 AM

Grads was not a mistake! He got us a top 5 draft pick, we took our medicine and let him play. We know AT BEST that he is QB that needs tons of time to sit and watch. He was not a mistake...

Baghead #2

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#16 : March 10, 2007, 11:19:25 AM

I really don't care about last year,so im not going to say nothing about the subject.

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

JC510

Practice Squad

#17 : March 10, 2007, 11:43:51 AM

I didn't know they broadcast Arizona Cardinal games in Indonesia.

gharen

Pro Bowler

#18 : March 10, 2007, 11:53:11 AM

When Pat Kirwin was talking about all the QB's the Bucs had, he said the first thing he'd do is call and ask about Gradkowski. He went on to say he has a lot of upside and did not play bad FOR A ROOKIE! Which is what a lot of you seem to forget. Good thing your not Cowboy fans because a lot of you would have gotten rid of Aikman after his rookie season.

#19 : March 10, 2007, 12:49:59 PM

Bruce was better than Dilfer or Vinny during their rook years, and hell some people on these boards want them to retire Bucs.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#20 : March 10, 2007, 12:12:44 PM

Troy Aikman skills are dramatically night and day compared to Gradkowski. Its not a comparision, its nuts. As I said, and you just said yourself. 1st year QB's all stink. If anyone throws up the "look at his #'s compared to so and so's" you have to look at the entire argument. If you look at first year QB's they all stink, flat out. Rex Grossman is a border-line joke had very similiar numbers compared to Carson Palmer in their 1st full season. Rex Grossman is no where near that of Carson Palmer. The stats are for the pundits. You have to weigh the investment and the production and as well as how the player will be long term. Is it over for Grads, no way, no how but throwing out stats either way on a rookie QB does not justify his ability nor make him look like an idiot.

Baghead #2

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#21 : March 10, 2007, 12:20:20 PM

Again I repeat, I DO NOT CARE if Gruden admits to making a mistake. I just don't want him to compound the mistake by keeping him on the roster.

Again I repeat, most players, who have a future in the NFL, IMPROVE WITH EXPERIENCE. Gradkowski got progressively worse, following a trend of every Buccaneer QB Gruden has coached. My guess is that Gruden needs to simplify his system.

bklynbucs11

Starter

#22 : March 10, 2007, 12:22:11 PM

I've been saying it, and I will keep saying it. Gradkowski has the tools in my mind to be our starting QB for a very long time - given some time to sit and learn the offense.

There are a lot of people that are already calling for his head. Not that this is a major surprise (get to that in a bit) but expecting a rookie QB to perform when no one except Joey Galloway is helping around him is asking quite a damn bit. Asking one who wasn't supposed to start for 2 more years - coming in to replace the incumbent starter - with half of his offensive linemen injured, the other half rookies, teams stacking the box to eliminate our best offensive weapon (btw - how in the world can anyone in their right mind say Caddy's anything except a great back considering what he faced last year is insane) and a bunch of other factors. Oh, and lets not forget - grasping oneo f the more complex playbooks in the NFL. But god forbid a rookie struggles right? Did you guys watch his first 2 games? When GRuden just let him basically use his instincts and not overanalyze the situation. DId you? because I did - and I watched a rookie throw 4 td's, 1 ints, over 450 yards passing and complete 60% of his passes. It was clear Gruden tried to force the playbook down his throat too quickly.

Of course the usual harpies will go "oh, ur st00pid, GRads suxs" - I can accept that. He did regress - probably as a function of teams taking away his immediate routes and Gruden forcing him to start making 2 or 3 reads behind an O-line that wouldn't give him nearly enough time to do so.

Before you hang me on the pike - answer me just one question before you start telling me about how Bruce G is the worst QB in the history of the NFL to lace up a uniform - What do Vinny T, Steve Young and Doug Williams have in common? All 3 were dumped by Tampa Bay early because of their struggles in their first 2 or 3 seasons. One is a Hall of Famer, another will probably get in eventually. 2 are SUperbowl MVP's. Can you remind me again about how much tehy sucked and how little talent they had because they took a few rookie lumps here in Tampa?

gone

Hall of Famer
#23 : March 10, 2007, 12:27:03 PM

I'm on the same page as brooklyn here.  I want to see how Grads does with a year of pro training under his belt. 

People need to remember that his performance was actually better this year than Simms' was.  He's a rookie from a small school with very raw skills.  Before I can say he's never gonna make it, I want to see him with some real training.

whobdis

Pro Bowler

#24 : March 10, 2007, 12:29:38 PM

Very few were calling for Rattay after Simms was hurt..media OR fans. Grad looked considerably better than Rattay in
preseason and Rattay had shown nothing at SF. Even after the first game people were pretty optimistic about the rookie
qb. But just like with Tony Romo..once the DC's get some film on you it's a whole new ball game.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#25 : March 10, 2007, 12:33:30 PM

Grads is a better quarterback than Chris Simms.

bucs63

Starter
#26 : March 10, 2007, 12:47:43 PM

During preseason Gradkowski looked like he might be the best QB on the team. He flashed some ability even through his first start, but it seemed like he was eventually coached out of it.  It's no surprise that a rookie from Toledo gets overwhelmed, but it probably was a mistake to stay with him so long.

He still has a chance to be a good QB, and I'd like to see what Gruden can do with him.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#27 : March 10, 2007, 12:41:53 PM

Gradkowski started out pretty well. Tword the end , he was pathetic. He had no clue. Very few QBs look professional in their rookie year, but most show signs of improvement. They catch on after a while and they get better. Gradkowski got worse, and I have never seen throws that were so far off target. Who throws where nobody is when you're trying to make a play? He was so far off he couldn't even get intercepted.

Every player has a period of adjustment. I understand that. I just don't believe Gradkowski can.

JC510

Practice Squad

#28 : March 10, 2007, 12:53:49 PM

When Cadillac rushed for 100+ yards...

Gradkowski completed over 65% of his passes and had a 106.5 QB rating.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#29 : March 10, 2007, 01:02:08 PM

Sparky, you've got it all wrong. QB my be the least linear position in football. A lot of times, their best games are their first couple (remember Leinhardt against the Bears? Campbell's first start? Romo?), but once teams adjust and pick up tendencies and film they often fall back to earth. Progress for QBs is often in fits and starts. Take a look at Big Ben's career.

You are correct that Grad's raw skills aren't like the Aikman's of the world, but that's obvious - if he did he likely wouldn't have been sitting for us in the sixth round. He went into a complex offense as a rookie, from a small school, and played with a terrible OL, an awful running game, and receivers that couldn't catch a cold.

Qbs take time - Parcells reportedly said about Romo when he first had him in camp that if he could just keep him on the team roster long enough, he might have something. I suspect that's the same with Gradkowski. Whether he's a starter down the road or ends up just being a solid back up, it was well worth the investment of a sixth round pick.

I think the only mistake Gruden made was sticking with him too long - not because Rattay is any good, but because I think it started effecting his confidence.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will Gruden ever admit Gradkowski was a mistake? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools