Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mexican Drug Cartel offers 1M bounty on Arizona Sheriff. « previous next »
Page: 1 2

2goodbucs

Starter
: August 02, 2010, 02:36:12 PM

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/immigration/mexican-drug-cartel-sheriff-arpaio-07292010

PHOENIX - He's been at the center of the discussions and controversies surrounding illegal immigration enforcement in Arizona for quite a while.

On the day parts of Arizona's immigration law, SB 1070, went into effect, Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio is in the news for another reason: there's a price on his head - allegedly offered by a Mexican drug cartel.

The audio message in Spanish is a bit garbled, but the text is clear.

"It's offering a million dollars for Sheriff Joe Arpaio's head and offering a thousand dollars for anyone who wants to join the Mexican cartel."

A man who wants to remain anonymous says his wife received the text message Tuesday evening. It also included an international phone number and instructions to pass the message along.

"She showed it to me..I was kind of disgusted..I reported it to the Sheriff's department yesterday..they said they were going to direct the threat squad on it."

Lisa Allen of the Sheriff's office says they believe the message originated in Mexico.

Although the Sheriff has received numerous death threats in the past, they believe this threat is credible because of its timing.

"Arpaio gets threats pretty routinely, but obviously with this heightened awareness of his role in the immigration issue we've got to take this one a little bit more seriously with a million dollar contract out on him," said Allen.

But she says what really concerns investigators is how quickly the message may have been spread. "It's going so many different places that our folks are looking at it and thinking well at any given point in time it could land in front of some crazy person who thinks I can do that."

As for Arpaio's reaction to the threat, "It's a little bit like water off a duck's back for him, but you never know if it's that sense of false bravado with him..you just can't read it, I'm sure he's concerned, I'm sure he's concerned for his family more than anything else," said Allen.

The Sheriff's office says investigators are trying to trace exactly where the text message came from, but because it did originate from an international number, that will be difficult too.

If our government sits and does nothing about this then we are in deep #2

doobiedoright

Hall of Famer

#1 : August 02, 2010, 02:43:28 PM

And the p.o.s. pres of mexico lectured us?...Really?........all most time to nuke the place!

NavyBuc19

Hall of Famer
#2 : August 02, 2010, 03:06:10 PM

Mexico is a cesspool. Time to start putting up Machine Gun posts and mining the river.

RonDiazlol

Starter

#3 : August 02, 2010, 03:18:36 PM

$1000 sign on for the cartel, but what am i getting per hour? Benefits? Overtime?

2goodbucs

Starter
#4 : August 02, 2010, 03:20:50 PM

This is the defining moment on whether this is a War on Terrorism or a War on just the Arabs.

The Government suing AZ for their anti-immigration law and then the Federal Judge blocks parts of the law doesn't give me a feeling that our Government is on our side. I think we are on our own now.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#5 : August 02, 2010, 03:33:18 PM

Why would they want this guy dead?  Oh that's right, he's one of the few actually doing his job on the border.

Got_Spleen

Starter

#6 : August 02, 2010, 03:40:20 PM

Mexico is a cesspool. Time to start putting up Machine Gun posts and mining the river.

I'm down with that. I'm sure many of the Border Patrol men and women wouldn't mind either.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#7 : August 02, 2010, 04:00:47 PM

As much as I hate to agree with Navy/Schultz, I'm going to do so anyway.

Enough is enough, time to start putting money into protecting our borders, at any cost.

Booker

Hall of Famer

#8 : August 02, 2010, 06:03:17 PM

Land mines would be easier...

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

#9 : August 02, 2010, 07:31:49 PM

I told a bunch of people when he was threatening for more border control that he was going to get killed. It won't be long now.

Shame too. The guy is fighting a one-armed battle trying to save people from more than they know. True Americans (that still feel like "American" is a proud term) need to stand up and help this guy.

Maybe we should all say "Amnesty now!" since it's always opposite day at camp Obama?

Obamessiah

Pro Bowler

#10 : August 02, 2010, 07:53:28 PM

Why would they want this guy dead?  Oh that's right, he's one of the few actually doing his job on the border.

It's a smart move for them. The immigrant connection is just a cover to dupe the pigeons. The real story is that the cartel needs to drum up support for the drug war. More and more people are becoming for the legalization of marijuana and the cartel needs to reverse that trend. If pot becomes legal, their cash flow shrivels up. The murder of an American sheriff will make a great campaign for the "War on Drugs."

Watch and see.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#11 : August 02, 2010, 08:02:21 PM

It's a smart move for them. The immigrant connection is just a cover to dupe the pigeons. The real story is that the cartel needs to drum up support for the drug war. More and more people are becoming for the legalization of marijuana and the cartel needs to reverse that trend. If pot becomes legal, their cash flow shrivels up. The murder of an American sheriff will make a great campaign for the "War on Drugs."

Watch and see.

Agreed 100%, and just one of many reasons I am for legalizing pot.  The drugs cartels money and power will plummet.

2goodbucs

Starter
#12 : August 02, 2010, 10:01:01 PM

Yeah, and on top of that Mexico recently legalized all their drugs to battle the cartel. I can see the desperation in them taking advantage of this anti-immigration law to push their product through by killing a few sheriffs and recruiting new members by paying them to join.

Obamessiah

Pro Bowler

#13 : August 02, 2010, 11:20:18 PM

Call it the Republican version of the Cloward and Piven plan. We spend billions a year in an utterly ineffective campaign that has succeeded only in raising crime and taxes. At the same time, billions more are drained out of the economy to fund the vast criminal enterprise that is threatening the governments of any country capable of supplying drugs to the U.S. It's a brilliant two-pronged attack enabled by an electorate that preaches about love and forgiveness on Sunday, but votes for vengeance and retribution on Tuesday.

Publicly gun down a sheriff and the backlash will be swift and loud. The sheeple will vote for the candidates promising better border security and tougher drug laws. The cartel, meanwhile, will be laughing their butts off. For the paltry price of a million dollars, the billions will keep flowing, they will be more popular than ever amongst the poor of their own country, who, being just as stupid as the sheeple here, will be even more firmly under the cartel's thumb with one less way out. If worse comes to worst, the cartel may have to sacrifice a few members to appease the powers that be.

And the politicians here will look very stern and punitive as they give their speeches about how tough they are on drugs and immigration, and the idiots that elected them will cheer loudly. I, unfortunately, will be among those idiots, as the Libs here can't seem to pull their heads out of their butts long enough to figure out that there has to be some way to pay for all that pie in the sky, and taxing the middle class into extinction isn't it.

SSDD

Obamessiah

Pro Bowler

#14 : August 02, 2010, 11:21:57 PM

People love me because I'm the cheery sort.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mexican Drug Cartel offers 1M bounty on Arizona Sheriff. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools