Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Briggs Mad as HELL « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 12

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#15 : March 12, 2007, 08:42:48 PM

i would for 2a or next year 2nd round pick.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#16 : March 12, 2007, 08:43:11 PM

I wish someone would insult me with $7.2 million.

It's not the amount that makes these guys mad, it's lack of long term stability and a signing bonus. Football is a rough sport and you need to get all the money you can as soon as you can, because you never know what's going to happen on the next snap.

$7,200,000

Even if has a career ending injury this season he's still set for life.

7.2 million is probably set for his life.  He's aiming for grandkids' lives as well.  Why settle for 7.2 when any other team would give you 40?

bait619

Starter

#17 : March 12, 2007, 08:45:54 PM

.maybe we can trade plummer's rights for him and then pay him

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#18 : March 12, 2007, 08:48:44 PM

Plummer's rights are worthless as of right now.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#19 : March 12, 2007, 08:50:59 PM

Subway is hiring. Briggs could become a Sandwich Artist.

JC510

Practice Squad

#20 : March 12, 2007, 08:56:53 PM

It's not the amount that makes these guys mad, it's lack of long term stability and a signing bonus. Football is a rough sport and you need to get all the money you can as soon as you can, because you never know what's going to happen on the next snap.

$7,200,000

7.2 million is probably set for his life.  He's aiming for grandkids' lives as well.  Why settle for 7.2 when any other team would give you 40?

That's a cute little spin on it, but no, he's just being greedy.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#21 : March 12, 2007, 08:58:35 PM

$7,200,000

7.2 million is probably set for his life. He's aiming for grandkids' lives as well. Why settle for 7.2 when any other team would give you 40?

Cute?  That's real life, man.  How old are you?

bait619

Starter

#22 : March 12, 2007, 08:58:49 PM

Plummer's rights are worthless as of right now.

i know i'm sorry i didn't insert the sarcasm smiley

bait619

Starter

#23 : March 12, 2007, 09:01:35 PM

you think I would take less than market value to do my job with my skills...hell no...in fact i would try to get more than market value and settle for market value if i had to...i'm not being greedy but i worked hard to get where i am at and so did briggs...you think he was born a superstar athlete...no he earned it in the gym and at practice and in the film room...if you could do it you would want market value for your services

JC510

Practice Squad

#24 : March 12, 2007, 09:04:48 PM

$7,200,000

7.2 million is probably set for his life. He's aiming for grandkids' lives as well. Why settle for 7.2 when any other team would give you 40?

Cute?  That's real life, man.  How old are you?

Old enough to know Briggs is one greedy SOB. And old enough to know that if Briggs invests his money the right way by the time he has grandkids they'll never have to work a day in their lives.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#25 : March 12, 2007, 09:08:24 PM

$7,200,000

Cute? That's real life, man. How old are you?

Old enough to know Briggs is one greedy SOB. And old enough to know that if Briggs invests his money the right way by the time he has grandkids they'll never have to work a day in their lives.

So then old enough to know that if he invested 40 million the right way...  This is just simple economics.  Briggs is worth 40 million because that's what any team with the money would give him, yet he should be happy about less than 25% of his marget value?  Would you be happy if your job payed you less than 25% of what 5-10 other companies would pay you and you were not free to leave?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#26 : March 12, 2007, 09:11:11 PM

Think about this for a minute...why is Briggs mad?

Because with all that extra jack being tossed around, this was his year to cash in big time.  The Bears did screw him over hard, because at 7 million a year, he is a relative bargain considering the playmaking he brings.  I would be mad as hell too, because if he was let loose, Frisco would have offered him a great deal of money IMO.  I don't blame him for being irritated (pissed), because at one year, he could blow his knee out, etc...

He might be set for life, but he could set up his posterity for life with a 3 or 6 year deal...

Now, he will not make the big dollars, and he might be forced to sit until next year, in which his stock might drop as a result of one years vacay.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#27 : March 12, 2007, 09:12:34 PM

$7,200,000

7.2 million is probably set for his life.  He's aiming for grandkids' lives as well.  Why settle for 7.2 when any other team would give you 40?

That's equivilent to $100,000 a year for 70 years.   Not bad for one year's worth of work.  

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#28 : March 12, 2007, 09:15:39 PM

The Bears did screw him over hard, because at 7 million a year, he is a relative bargain considering the playmaking he brings.

They screwed him by taking advantage of a provision of the collective bargaining agreement that was negotiated between the league and the representatives of the players?

Now, he will not make the big dollars, and he might be forced to sit until next year, in which his stock might drop as a result of one years vacay.

Forced? The only one forcing him to sit for a year would be himself. He can take the year off and get nothing, or show up for work and pick up $450,000 a week.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#29 : March 12, 2007, 09:21:44 PM

The Bears did screw him over hard, because at 7 million a year, he is a relative bargain considering the playmaking he brings.

They screwed him by taking advantage of a provision of the collective bargaining agreement that was negotiated between the league and the representatives of the players?

Forced? The only one forcing him to sit for a year would be himself. He can take the year off and get nothing, or show up for work and pick up $450,000 a week.

I understand the business mentality of it all, but he wanted his chance to shine elsewhere, and to make "big" loot elsewhere.  He would have fetched far more in free agency this year had they not franchised him, which he warned them not to do...but they went ahead and did it anyway.  Perhaps they should have offered him a deal for 3 years, it might have eased his mind, but I doubt it.

As far as sitting out for a year, I can see why he would be leery for two reasons:

1) He could suffer a career hindering injury, which either eliminates his value, or greatly reduces it
2) and he is mad at them for doing this, and warned them not to do so, but they went ahead and prevented him from receiving a much bigger contract elsewhere.

Now I may be just thinking in terms of the player, but that is what the gist of this argument is about:  him.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Briggs Mad as HELL « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools