Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Briggs Mad as HELL « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 10 11 12

XXXVII Champs

Second String

#165 : March 14, 2007, 09:55:46 PM

I wish someone would insult me with $7.2 million.

Yeah, I'd be cussing all the way to the bank.

#166 : March 14, 2007, 10:11:07 PM

I'm sure a great many of us would like to have couple hundred grand..... should he play for that too?

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#167 : March 14, 2007, 10:14:55 PM

I'll suit up for 7.2 million. :o

#168 : March 14, 2007, 10:18:41 PM

You'd do it for a helluva lot less than that, as would a great many of us.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#169 : March 15, 2007, 08:14:49 AM

You'd do it for a helluva lot less than that, as would a great many of us.

Give me 100 grand for being a backup...Hell I might even pay them for some real jerseys and some of them good practice shorts... ;D

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

bklynbucs11

Starter

#170 : March 15, 2007, 08:58:31 AM

Its ironic that all of you ignore the point I made earlier. I'll reiterate. Lance Briggs is currently under contract with the Bears. Part of his initial contract stipulates that the Bears are allowed to use the franchise or transition tag on him - end of story. If he doesn't like it - don't sign the damn contract or put in a stipulation to prevent teams from doing this. thats allowed under contract law. So legally, his playing rights - under a contract that he WILLINGLY signed - belong to the Bears. This is NOT like a typical employment contract because there are specific duration terms. So no, he can't just walk out and seek other employment. End of story. Don't bring up the issue of "oh - free employment" its not the case. Because by the same token - Joey Galloway should probably walk out on the 5-year extension he signed with us because he's played up to more than the contract is worth in the last 2 seasons and he too is "missing his payday".

Telling me that he's missing out on a big payday is the same as saying a guy with one year left on his contract is missing out on a big payday this year. And we all know if that happened - no one would take Briggs' side.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#171 : March 15, 2007, 09:07:48 AM

Dude that makes no sense.  If he was currently under contract there would be no need to franchise him...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

bklynbucs11

Starter

#172 : March 15, 2007, 09:11:25 AM

Dude that makes no sense.  If he was currently under contract there would be no need to franchise him...

yes it does make sense. Its a residual contract. Part of his contract obligation is that the Chicago Bears have full right to franchise him after his initial deal expires. Think about it - this equates to the same thing as having one more year left on your contract.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#173 : March 15, 2007, 09:20:39 AM

You might be right, I'm not a contract or cap guy.  Just sounds weird to me.  Sounds more like his contract was up.  So they have the option, to franchise him vs letting him realize his earning potential on the free agent market...I don't see how contractually he's bound to that other than through the CBA...

Page: 1 ... 10 11 12
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Briggs Mad as HELL « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools