Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs Sign CB Sammy Davis « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#30 : March 13, 2007, 03:22:49 PM

He was a rookie! Why is it so hard to believe that he must learn the position in the Bucs system before they will put him on the field? There's this unfounded talk of moving AZ to safety out of no where. One question for those who are putting stock in that talk. When was the last time a rookie CB saw the field in Tampa? And how well did it turn out?

Our current starters at CB took there lumps and sat early in the careers and emerged as starters after learning the system. Is it entirely implausible to believe the same for Zemaitis?

I gotta agree here. Last year alot of people were happy we drafted him because he "fit" what this defense needs, now I'm reading from some that he's not cutting it?

Why anyone would actually pass judgement on his ability, especially as a rookie with limited playing time behind such a weak pass rush, is beyond me. And I would venture to say that Kiffin wasn't ready to throw the rookie to the wolves for no reason anyway..

Naw, that just makes too much sense. In the world of Fandom, all rookies should play their rookie season regardless of experienced players being in front of them.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#31 : March 13, 2007, 03:34:30 PM

Naw, that just makes too much sense. In the world of Fandom, all rookies should play their rookie season regardless of experienced players being in front of them.

..and excel. Especially those late 4th rounders..   ::)

devasher

Starter
#32 : March 13, 2007, 03:58:16 PM

Given our record at the time it would've made sense to put Zemaitis in for a few plays late in the season just to get a little tape for the coaches to work with at regular season speed.

The only reason you avoid playing a rookie at all costs in a hopeless season is if you know he'll embarrass himself and destroy what little confidence he must have after getting burned by scout team players in practice all week.

Kelly and Barber were on vastly different Buc teams than Zemaitis was on last year. With Kelly out for the year last year we had Bolden, a guy who should not be playing anything more than nickle or dime corner, in as our starter for over half the season.

Yes, Zemaitis missing the season without an injury is not huge news given the position and veterans on the team, however it's not all sunshine and rainbows either.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#33 : March 13, 2007, 04:08:33 PM

26???  Geez, can this team get any older????

hahahaha

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#34 : March 13, 2007, 04:14:33 PM

Given our record at the time it would've made sense to put Zemaitis in for a few plays late in the season just to get a little tape for the coaches to work with at regular season speed.

The only reason you avoid playing a rookie at all costs in a hopeless season is if you know he'll embarrass himself and destroy what little confidence he must have after getting burned by scout team players in practice all week.

Kelly and Barber were on vastly different Buc teams than Zemaitis was on last year. With Kelly out for the year last year we had Bolden, a guy who should not be playing anything more than nickle or dime corner, in as our starter for over half the season.

Yes, Zemaitis missing the season without an injury is not huge news given the position and veterans on the team, however it's not all sunshine and rainbows either.

If a player does not know his role in the scheme and/or has not earned the right to start, you don't play that person for the sake of getting "game film". Gruden has made it clear that he won't play unprepared young players for the sake of getting them on the field. It's outlandish to think that the team would do that regardless of the record. What does that say to Bolden, Buchanon and Cox? AZ will see his time come, at this point he isn't ready regardless of what we fans think.

#35 : March 13, 2007, 04:17:56 PM

I'm hoping the best for him and that his career does take off here, but I'd prefer it if the PR staff handled small signings like this with a small side article like an "oh by the way" type thing(and have the MAJOR signings get big attention on the front page).  :-

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#36 : March 13, 2007, 04:22:03 PM

Davis strikes me as a true zone corner, a guy who will pick up the system quickly and have a chance to actually resurrect his career as a nickel with the potential to be more if he works hard at it. Here's his draft profile:

ANALYSIS
Positives: Has a well-built frame with good muscle development throughout … Learns and retains football well … Shows a smooth backpedal with above average foot quickness and body control … Plants and breaks on the ball sharply and shows an explosive closing burst … Has excellent open-field acceleration and can easily turn and run with the receivers on deep routes … Drops back into his zone assignment with awareness and stalks the receivers tight on underneath routes … Has good timing and leaping ability competing for the ball … Takes proper angles in pursuit … Has very dependable hands for the interception … While he needs to be more aggressive in run support, he has good wrapup tackling technique, and the strength needed to fill rush lanes … Drag-down type of tackler who will deliver his hits with force.

Negatives: Has good awareness and tackling ability, but needs to be more consistent in showing his physical nature (not tough enough) … More quick than fast, and while he stays tight with the receiver, he does not have that extra gear needed to recover when beaten … Needs to work on his plant-and-drive agility in transition, as he appears to gather himself a bit breaking out of his backpedal … Strong athlete, but looks thin in the lower body region.

#37 : March 13, 2007, 04:24:29 PM

I'm hoping the best for him and that his career does take off here, but I'd prefer it if the PR staff handled small signings like this with a small side article like an "oh by the way" type thing(and have the MAJOR signings get big attention on the front page).  :-
Umm...what does it matter? I'd rather see all the info on the front page then have to dig through an article that won't interest me to see some sidenote about a FA signing.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#38 : March 13, 2007, 04:27:49 PM

Well, if we've learned one thing from the Zemaitis struggles, it's that the backpedal is going to need some work based on that assessment. Another one I saw said that he struggled a bit in zones. We'll see - no risk.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#39 : March 13, 2007, 04:43:44 PM

I think Davis starts over Bolden,if we keep Kelly. We got Kelly,Barber,Buchannen,Davis,and Bolden. Good for depth,I wonder if someone is not going to be Buc next year??Kelly or Bolden???

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#40 : March 13, 2007, 04:54:16 PM

Kelly gone and Rice gone. And throw in Wymms too.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#41 : March 13, 2007, 05:26:19 PM

This reminds me of when we took a chance on another corner people thought was a bust in PBuc. I'm not saying this will turnout as well as PBuc did, but I think it has all the same makings of that kind of signing and result.

#42 : March 13, 2007, 05:50:28 PM

Getting rid of Kelly would be a huuuuuuge foolish mistake by the Bucs!!  >:(

dm4bucs

Starter
#43 : March 13, 2007, 06:06:34 PM

I agree letting BK go now with all the transitions this defense may already take with our d-line getting a new UT and maybe one or two new DE's then with Quarles maybe retiring, it would hurt us even more to try to bring in a new CB and hope at the same time that our safeties play better...

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#44 : March 13, 2007, 07:44:57 PM

If Rice returns to form or close to it, I would think the Bucs would try to franchise him just to get another year out of him. That said, just because they signed buchannon and Davis doesn't mean Kelly's expendable. As of now, the only starting quality CBs for the team are Barber and Kelly. Buchannon has shown flashes, but not enough. Bolden doesn't need to be put on the field, and Zemaitis has even seen the field.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs Sign CB Sammy Davis « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools