Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: CBS Sportsline Analysis of the Bucs Free Agency « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

BucLord

Starter

« #15 : March 14, 2007, 09:37:19 AM »

I guess the draftniks should take a look at who the Bucs will pick with the #1 overall next year.

Well, considering my source is a Samoan psychic/ prostitute with a speech impediment, you may be right

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcia, Marcia, Marcia

It's always about Marcia

Lloyd Grant

Rookie

« #16 : March 14, 2007, 09:45:14 AM »

I guess the draftniks should take a look at who the Bucs will pick with the #1 overall next year.

I disagree with this.  IMO the FA moves this year have been focused on immediate improvement instead of building for the future.  I strongly doubt that we won't have a better record this year than last year.

What kind of improvement are you predicting?  We signed a senior citizen to "upgrade" our defense.  A guy with a broken leg and back problems to "sure" up the O-line.  And another old guy to "improve" our qb play. 

This sounds like the Charlie Garner/Todd Steussie offseason all over again.

Proud 300 Level Season Ticket Holder since 1997

Shag

Pro Bowler

« #17 : March 14, 2007, 09:54:33 AM »

The thing is that we paid too much for those guys. We're getting the same type of players now, but the contracts are better. Just from the contracts that were reported, we are getting good deals. Maybe if you're just talking about upgrading the team because we probably won't be much better with our free agency.

Lloyd Grant

Rookie

« #18 : March 14, 2007, 10:04:33 AM »

The thing is that we paid too much for those guys. We're getting the same type of players now, but the contracts are better. Just from the contracts that were reported, we are getting good deals. Maybe if you're just talking about upgrading the team because we probably won't be much better with our free agency.

True, but only if these old guys can wheel their way into the stadium. 

The coach is a poor evaluator of talent.  Just look at his drafts.  He's also at the helm of an old team, that does not seem to trust him. 

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #19 : March 14, 2007, 10:11:59 AM »

The coach is a poor evaluator of talent. Just look at his drafts. He's also at the helm of an old team, that does not seem to trust him.

Gruden is not the final decision maker on the drafts.  And I would not say the draft have been poor nor stellar. 

Also the entire team in general is young.  The Bucs have 5 picks in the top 100 of the draft.  I am sorry but all of your arguements so far are empty and make no logical sense.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #20 : March 14, 2007, 10:14:00 AM »

Him calling Jon "cute" names, and demeaning Bruce certainly destroys all cred that this "author" has.  And also, failing to understand the purpose of the signings and the cost involved certainly makes me think that the person who wrote this used toilet paper article was

A)  Short on deadline
B)  Not really too keen on the NFL
C)  Posessed an agenda against Bucs F.O.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #21 : March 14, 2007, 10:17:47 AM »

I'm sorry, I simply can't take this Lloyd fellow seriously. If he truly believes what he's writing and he's not just looking to stir stuff up, then there's no way to really debate him since no matter what argument anyone uses, he'll never see it.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #22 : March 14, 2007, 10:19:19 AM »

I disagree with this. IMO the FA moves this year have been focused on immediate improvement instead of building for the future. I strongly doubt that we won't have a better record this year than last year.

What kind of improvement are you predicting? We signed a senior citizen to "upgrade" our defense. A guy with a broken leg and back problems to "sure" up the O-line. And another old guy to "improve" our qb play.

How much money did Garner and Turnstile make anyway?

And how much did Garcia and Petitgout receive?

whobdis

Pro Bowler

« #23 : March 14, 2007, 10:21:35 AM »

I think if I never hear the Garner/Steussie thing again it would be too soon. We've signed what..dozens
of free agents the past 5 years including the Pittmans, McCarrdells, Juervicious (spelling??) who helped
us to a SB...yet two guys who had little impact are brought up on a regular basis. Steussie started 15 games
for the Rams last year and was just signed on for another year for whatever that is worth.

bluetick

Practice Squad

« #24 : March 14, 2007, 10:24:01 AM »

Anyone can pick the bad out of the good!!! I think there is potential to fail and win with the Free Agents we signed. Some of the guys will be good/great players others will be bad players. The Great Part about it is that, as already mentioned, these players if they are a bust and cut from the team, they will not have the cap affect of Deese, Todd S, or C. Garner. I will wait until the end of Training Camp to draw any conclusions on the moves made this free agency.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #25 : March 14, 2007, 10:27:27 AM »

I think if I never hear the Garner/Steussie thing again it would be too soon.

As Boid aptly points out, the Garner/Steussie deals and the Carter/Garcia signs are not equal comparisons. They share one common element: they're all older players who have produced at a high level in this league.

Where they are dissimilar is in how their contracts are structured and the reasons why they're here. Both Garcia and Carter have inked deals that will have no long-term major cap impact on the team, unlike the G/S deals. In fact, if Carter comes in and does nothing at all before opening day, he can be cut and cost the Bucs nothing in the long run. Garcia, even if he doesn't deliver as a starter, is a much-needed mentor type for whatever young QB the Bucs need to bring along, be it Simms or someone else. Garcia's contract is incentivized, and thus if he doesn't start and doesn't play well, he's getting decent backup QB money and that's all.

whobdis

Pro Bowler

« #26 : March 14, 2007, 10:30:54 AM »

I will wait until the end of Training Camp to draw any conclusions on the moves made this free agency.

This my friend is why you couldn't make it as one of our local sports media rep's. You need to be able
to make snap judgements with very little information..blend in some anger towards the way you feel
you've been treated, bias towards those you may not like and maybe some bitterness that you never
really did squat in sports!

bluetick

Practice Squad

« #27 : March 14, 2007, 10:33:34 AM »

The coach is a poor evaluator of talent. Just look at his drafts. He's also at the helm of an old team, that does not seem to trust him.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/objectivity

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/objective

Last I checked Jon Gruden has won a superbowl as a coach, and achieved countless other achievements in other coaching levels. Oh wait, I forgot that was Dungy's team.  [banghead]

Everybody is a critic, qualified or not........ ::)

bluetick

Practice Squad

« #28 : March 14, 2007, 10:36:47 AM »

I will wait until the end of Training Camp to draw any conclusions on the moves made this free agency.

This my friend is why you couldn't make it as one of our local sports media rep's. You need to be able
to make snap judgements with very little information..blend in some anger towards the way you feel
you've been treated, bias towards those you may not like and maybe some bitterness that you never
really did squat in sports!

I guess it is a good thing, that was not my career choice, HUH?   :-

Lloyd Grant

Rookie

« #29 : March 14, 2007, 12:10:43 PM »

I think if I never hear the Garner/Steussie thing again it would be too soon. We've signed what..dozens
of free agents the past 5 years including the Pittmans, McCarrdells, Juervicious (spelling??) who helped
us to a SB...yet two guys who had little impact are brought up on a regular basis. Steussie started 15 games
for the Rams last year and was just signed on for another year for whatever that is worth.

Those guys were all signed by the more responsible and talented, Rich McKay. 

So far, all you fans can offer is blind optimism.  I see a defense that is older, and has not made any moves to get younger or improve.  I agree this could change with the draft, but right now it looks like they could be in for another long year. 

I also see an offense that looked very lethargic and confused last year.  I don't want to see something like that when the coach is considered an offensive genius. 

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: CBS Sportsline Analysis of the Bucs Free Agency « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools