Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Olson's scheme will be a 'mix and match' attack « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

#15 : August 08, 2010, 09:39:20 PM

Not the most assuring interview, but fluff is fluff. At some level I'd guess he is just reserved to layout the offensive plan to the public.

...At least I hope

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#16 : August 08, 2010, 10:32:41 PM

Olson is going to stink it up...too wishy washy...

Olson is the best, smartest coach we've got so if you're down on him I'm guessing you're taking the under on Buccaneer wins this season.  Not saying I disagree.

Actually, Joe Baker is the Bucs coach with a degree from an Ive League school. He went to Princeton. So there's a chance he may be the smartest.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#17 : August 09, 2010, 12:02:28 AM

Yep. The dink and dunk again this year. We probably wont get more than 1 pass over 20 per game. So if we are down double-digits in the 4th...games is pretty much over. Get into a 2nd or 3rd and long situation because Trueblood has a brainfart...drive will be dead.

Either the coaching on this team is incompetant or they just dont have much confidence that Freeman can cut down on the INTs.

The simple reality is that you arnt going to win much in the NFL if you limit your offense like this. A short passing game is not a strength, it is a serious weakness.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#18 : August 09, 2010, 12:17:57 AM

Yep. The dink and dunk again this year. We probably wont get more than 1 pass over 20 per game. So if we are down double-digits in the 4th...games is pretty much over. Get into a 2nd or 3rd and long situation because Trueblood has a brainfart...drive will be dead.

Damn bro. You really are a pretty negative poster. Olson said nothing about being strictly a west coast offense team. He said that he would be a west coast offense with some verticle game in it to utilize Freemans big arm.

heyman_BUCu!

Second String

#19 : August 09, 2010, 01:42:59 AM

Freeman will still have a chance to go thru his progressions. Score first( long ball) if open, First down(second read), and his check down. Hopefully the mixture of schemes however helps to keep defenses honest. First and foremost we need to be able to run the ball to set up any pass attack. 

Damn Rah :-/.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#20 : August 09, 2010, 02:08:29 AM

Damn bro. You really are a pretty negative poster. Olson said nothing about being strictly a west coast offense team. He said that he would be a west coast offense with some verticle game in it to utilize Freemans big arm.

Did you even watch last season? Have you been to TC? There is nothing vertical about it. Its a watered down Gruden system.

Caveat Emperor

Pro Bowler

#21 : August 09, 2010, 08:26:47 AM

Watching training camp is probably the worst way to get a handle on what the offense is going to be like. Even in the 7 on 7 drills, you're rarely going to see the offense take deep shots more than a couple times per practice. Teams try to get the most reps on the throws they'll be making most often in the season: short to intermediate passes that need to be executed perfectly every time.

watson

Hall of Famer
#22 : August 09, 2010, 09:21:02 AM

In reality, there is nothing new in the NFL.  All the defenses and offenses are a mix and match of what has been done for years.  The vertical passing game did not originate with Martz.  Go back to Air Coryall or Sid Gillman.  The West Coast offense did not originate with the 49ers, it started with Paul Brown long before that.  There are bits and pieces of all the concepts in most teams offenses and defenses, but it is up to the OC and DC to implement the elements that works best with their personnel.  Last year there was too many square pegs in round holes.  Hopefully that won't happen this year.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#23 : August 09, 2010, 09:39:02 AM

Cup half empty: This style is too wishy washy
Cup half full: This will give us the best of all worlds

JC510

Practice Squad

#24 : August 09, 2010, 11:15:48 AM

this explains all the check downs in TC. Wac if you ask me unless this is a smoke screen. I say let the young gun sling it down field much as possible, thats how you grow. work with no fear! �

We are trying to cut DOWN the INT's haha. The check downs are there because from what we saw last year, Freeman is more comfortable throwing short to medium but I'd love to see him sling it down field every now and then.

Olson needs to get points UP. That means throwing downfield. We had two games where we didn't have a first down in the 1st half. Words cannot describe how terrible that is.

pewterpirates

Starter
#25 : August 09, 2010, 11:25:34 AM

a short passing  game could work if you have recievers who can get yac and a quarterback who can throw into tight windows ,tom brady was the master of dink and dunk during the patriots first super bowl run. the short pass game was essentially their run game........we could make it work if our recievers prove they can make something happen after the catch. but if they cant its gonna be ugly

I just can't see my boy Tebow playing in any other jersey except the ol' Bucs.  If someone else ends up stealing him from us I will have a hard time staying a hardcore Bucs fan for life. 

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#26 : August 09, 2010, 11:27:47 AM

this explains all the check downs in TC. Wac if you ask me unless this is a smoke screen. I say let the young gun sling it down field much as possible, thats how you grow. work with no fear! �

We are trying to cut DOWN the INT's haha. The check downs are there because from what we saw last year, Freeman is more comfortable throwing short to medium but I'd love to see him sling it down field every now and then.

Olson needs to get points UP. That means throwing downfield. We had two games where we didn't have a first down in the 1st half. Words cannot describe how terrible that is.

That's also why we went out and got three new receivers too, especially Benn.

JC510

Practice Squad

#27 : August 09, 2010, 11:32:58 AM

That's also why we went out and got three new receivers too, especially Benn.

Won't matter who the WRs are. You're not going to score if everyone is running curls, slants and drags. Olson's schemes are incredibly easy to game plan against.

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

#28 : August 09, 2010, 11:43:54 AM

Doesn't mean throwing downfield, they have to execute better. a 1st down is only 10 yards.

JC510

Practice Squad

#29 : August 09, 2010, 11:48:51 AM

Doesn't mean throwing downfield, they have to execute better. a 1st down is only 10 yards.

Please don't go Dungy on us. Teams don't even need to have their safeties 15 yards deep against Olson's offense.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Olson's scheme will be a 'mix and match' attack « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools